Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through December 21, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 506
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re: Boras and A-Rod.

It seems the AL teams had the opportunity to take down EITHER Boras OR the Yankees (by signing A-Rod away from them).

They picked Boras.

I'd rather seen A-Rod sign with say the Angels.

BTW, Boras has a bad rep but has been good to DET.

Dombrowski has been able to deal with him (except for this snafu with Rogers).

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would change that to say Boras has been good for Detroit rather to Detroit. It worked out well for the Tigers in signing Pudge and Magglio because Boras tries to convince his players to take the most money no matter where it is. I know that's an agent's job but Boras rings out every last cent from a team. The fact that the Tigers were in last place and hardly desirable at the time didn't matter to Boras in helping the Tigers convince his players to come. He raises the value of his entire "stable."

On the other hand, just like with Rogers, the Tigers almost lost Verlander because Boras pushed the envelope too far. Verlander's dad had to intervine after the Tigers broke off talks.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 508
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent point, 401.

Boras has the power (with the free spending ability of a team) to take a loser and help make it a winner.

In a very real sense, that is good for the parity in MLB.

Look what it did for Tigers and Detroit.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6482
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Side note- bravo to Tom Gage & Jim Hawkins for voting their conscious and Magglio Ordonez for the American League MVP.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6484
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Kenny Rogers did give Scott Boras the heave-ho after all.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2914
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers and Rogers talking again per the Freep, Glavine signed fo $8 mil - prediction, Rogers for $8 mil announced tomorrow

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 547
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobj--9 days off, but on the mark for salary

401don

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Freep, Tigers are still looking for a set-up guy and are talking to Latroy Hawkins. He would be perfect for the role as he is a workhorse and has had solid numbers throughout his career.
Rest of team is set except for the No. 5 starter. I really think the Tigers are rushing Andrew Miller. He has no control of his off speed stuff and none of the poise that Jurrgens showed. He needs a full healthy season in AAA where he doesn't need to worry about every inning or he's just going to overthrow when he gets in trouble and wreck his arm again. Virgil Vasquez got hit hard when he was up but he had an outstanding season at Toledo and is 26 yrs. old. Time to give him a shot and let Miller at least start the season at Toledo.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No disrespect to you, 401don, but screw LaTroy Hawkins. The only thing that will keep him from becoming a Has-Been is the fact that he Never Was.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6579
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Book 'em Dan-O.

Kenny Rogers just signed today.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 512
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071202/SPO RTS02/712020694/1048

Nice article by the Freep's Morosi.

The Tigs' farm system is essentially:

Maybin, Miller, Porcello, (Erie P) Dallas Trahern and low 'A' infielder Scott Sizemore.

The first three are excellent prospects but there is very little depth left in the system.

Morosi reminds that the Tigs traded 5 good prospects for Sheff and Renteria.

Only good news is that Maybin, Miller and Porcello were 'steals' for DET in the draft.

If Miller and Porcello pan out as front of the rotation pitchers we'll be okay in the future.

Bobj

Post Number: 3115
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the tigers will make one more move, possibly something surprising??

Bobj

Post Number: 3254
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted above before the trade - I never thought the trade or move would be as big as it was

Emu_steve

Post Number: 536
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good call, Bob.

I, before the trade, delineated the Tigs' farm system.

I should have also mentioned de la cruz who I like (and apparently the Marlins also liked).

Last year I bought the Baseball America prospect book. I just ordered the '08 version but I can't imagine our top 10 prospects (Other then Porcello) are anything to write about. I know Lynn Henning likes a few of the position prospects.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the thing about the farm system is that it can be restocked

Bobj

Post Number: 3260
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They actually still have some potential at Toledo and Erie, no budding superstars like Miller and maybin.

I looked that Mudhen and Seawolves websites and their rosters and there are some names we heard before

401don

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every position player except catcher on the Tigers will be around at least 3 years so I really don't think it matters much. Unless you're looking for someone at AA or AAA to replace a current player in the next 1-2 years, then you're looking at 'A' level (Lakeland) or below anyway. Pitching is a different story but we're still young in the Tigers rotation.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 537
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent point, Don.

There are two reasons why the Tigs farms system, as of today, is thin on talent:

1). Some of it graduated to the major league team (e.g., Verlander, Zumaya, Granderson, etc.).

2). The rest was traded for all-stars.

Does it matter, for the sake of this discussion, if Cabrera and Willis were traded for or home grown?

If they were considered products of our farm system (indirectly) then one would say that our farm system is thin because it has produced Verlander, Zumaya, Granderson, Wilis and Cabrera.

No well has an infinite supply of water.

Ravine

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing to keep in mind, here, is that we traded guys who are not soon eligible for free agency for guys who are soon eligible for free agency. We spent quite a bit of dough to pull in Maybin and Miller, and we will have to pony up a helluva lot more if we want to hang onto Willis and Cabrera. It is possible that, a couple of years from now, Maybin, Willis, Miller and Cabrera will all be ex-Tigers. All the more reason to believe the theory that the Tigers are seeing a two-year "window" and are putting everything they've got into Getting It Done during that span.
I know I'M okay with that.

(Message edited by ravine on December 11, 2007)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk of trading Inge to the talent-less Pirates. Milwaukee might want a 3B because Braun sucks ass on defense. If the team is serious about moving Braun to the outfield (Jenkins was let go, so there's an opening there, too), the fans in blue-collar Milwaukee would love the blue-collar Inge. The Brewers also have a better farm team than the Pirates. That said, unless the Tigers eat part of Inge's contract, they're going to get nothing whatsoever in return. A Double-A reliever, maybe. And you can bet that with Cabrera and Willis needing long-term deals, the Tigers don't want to send Inge anywhere if they have to send him with a check, too.
I'm going to miss Inge. Besides being the longest-tenured Tiger, he had the blue-collar style that you rarely see here. A pre-suck Higginson and Gibby were two of the last ones I can remember. Same reason Aaron Rowand would be a player I'd love to see in Detroit, though we obviously don't have a spot for him.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 907
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Inge would quit trying to be a Home run hitter he would be much better. Its a shame if he wants to leave, he can play almost any position. He can be like Tom Brookins. Every year he started the season on the bench only to end up the starting 3rd baseman. Anything can happen in baseball, Cabrera might suck at 3rd base and end up in another position. Then what do we do?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather see them move Cabera back to the outfield and keep Inge at 3B. Of course, that would leave us with only one left-handed hitter in the lineup and the switch-hitting Guillen.

401don

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look at the numbers - power, avg., on-base percentage - Pudge should hit ninth in this line-up, which is no shame for the catcher on most teams. Do you think he's going to be okay with this? I would love to have seen Trammell tell Pudge he would bat ninth, even with this team. Has anyone ever made $13 million a year batting ninth? Not even the Yankees can say that.

Bobj

Post Number: 3301
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked at Inge's career stats on mlb.com and they aren't as good as I thought. 205 has been his best overall year and his stats are definitely not improving

401don

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Espn is reporting Dontrelle Willis has agreed to a 3 yr. extension for 29 million. They took care of that pretty quick. This is sort of like the Bonderman extension. Good deal for both sides right now. He may end up being worth a lot more or a lot less.

Username: 1805

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a STEAL when you look at Carlos Silva signing with Seattle for the hefty commitment of four years for $44 million. He was one of the handful of guys on our radar for starting pitchers, too. This is not a top flight guy, like Willis has shown to be and I believe will reemerge as.

Every free agent I was championing before these trades has gone on to sign for bloated contracts bigger than their worth (Eckstein, Silva), which really justifies the trades we made.

Ravine

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, too, am pleased by this news.
Man!! Given their over-all situation, I think Seattle made a mistake, but Silva's contract pretty much matches (what seems to be) the going rate for a pitcher with his less-than-remarkable credentials.
I'm glad it wasn't the Tigers, though.

401don

Post Number: 170
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy crap! I didn't see the Silva signing. Willis does seem cheap by comparison although we get a discount, like Bonderman, because Willis still had two years to free agency.

Bobj

Post Number: 3459
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good deal, Willis is 26, very good chance that his recent stats are not the trend

Smogboy

Post Number: 6709
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the long run, this could turn into a great deal for the Tigers. At the rate some of these lesser players are signing for, Willis' signing could be an absolute steal years from now.