Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Condolidated Firehouses Archive » Archive through February 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some good pictures taken by a photographer from Cincinnati.

5857.15/topicseen.html

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a question for some of the guys. Does DFD respond to either airport? I know it states Eng 20 is at City airport, but if they know something is coming in, (smoke in the cockpit) do they make them go to Metro with the bigger station? Does DFD ever go to Metro? Thanks

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D.F.D. does not respond to Metro.
E.20 and 20x both C.F.R.rigs(E.Ones')are stationed at City Airport.On report of incoming in trouble a "Loaded Box " is dispatched(Box 8295).
After the expansion a few years back E.46 had to be "filled in" if they were do on a Box to keep the airport open.The primary carrier pulled out.The airport is not busy.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 245
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are up to 10 companies closed on a daily basis and on the days when it gets to nine or 10 E20 (City Airport) is in that group.

I never hear E46 filled in anymore.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See the discussion on crime, in particular arson, at:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/124143.html?1199744050

...starting with my Monday, Jan. 7 post...

Lansingfire

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where does the admin go during the auto show?

Username: 7051

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who believes the recent crime stats that arson is down 32% needs to read the following email text I received from an amateur fire photographer. I will try to post the corresponding photos at a later date.

"As some of you all know I made a trip to Detroit this past weekend with the soul purpose to photograph fires with the Detroit Fire Dept. This is my second trip to Detroit since Nov 2. The first trip didn't turn out as eventful as this recent trip. On this trip I shot about a dozen different working fires and made it to over 20 in a period of 48hrs. The arson rate is unbelievable there. I thought I had witnessed some crazy things shooting fires in Memphis but not until I went to Detroit this past weekend. Essentially to compare Memphis has a ghetto, Detroit is a Ghetto.

I figured id share some photos with you all, as some have requested to see them.

Thursday was the coldest night, with single digit temps, high winds and a wind chill of -20 to -30.

Enjoy !
Kevin Lackey

"We will start out with the first fire on Thursday.

Engine 9 arrived on the scene of this 3 story apartment with fire showing from the first floor, making way to the 3rd floor via the exterior of the building. Chief 5 arrived on the scene and advised the dwelling was "going through out" and requested a 4th Engine to make the scene. This fire was caused by a Molotov Cocktail.

The Second fire came in about 20 mins after we cleared the Apt Fire. Eng 34 and the rest of the Companies were sent on a Box Alarm, fire reported in a commercial Building. Engine 34 arrived on the scene and advised they were stretching on a large commercial dwelling with heavy fire showing. Shortly there after, E34 requested a 2nd alarm be sounded. The building housed a Scrap Yard of some sorts, with the building full of automobiles.

While we were at the warehouse fire, Companies began working several other dwelling fires throughout the city. We made a decision to leave the 2nd Alarm and take in another job not far away on 18th and Bagley.
We arrived on the scene to find two 2.5 story dwellings fully involved with a third 1.5 story occupied dwelling catching. Chief 8 arrived on the scene and called for 2 additional Engines and Truck on top of the 3 Engines and 2 Trucks and a Squad.

We left the dwelling fires on 18th at Bagley and to ANOTHER dwelling fire near by.
E33 reported on the scene "Sretching on a Dwelling"

We left the following fire and caught yet ANOTHER dwelling fire with E46. Central advised that they had received numerous calls with reports of occupants trapped. Chief 9 reported on the scene with heavy fire showing and first due Engine will be stretching. Several attempts were made to enter the residence with a line were made, but were forced to retreat. Conditions were horrible as the basement, first floor and attic space contained heavy fire. The fire took the life of a 13 year old teenager whom was still in bed when found. The cause of the fire was to be blamed on the home being heated with 2 stoves.

We couldn't finish the night out with out one more house fire around 430am. We arrived a little late on this one with Engine 60, on the north side of Chief 9's District. "

"Not much to show from the fires on Friday, we responded on 2 Box Alarms, both dwelling fires, with a little smoke showing on our arrival.

However Saturday night was busy

Starting Saturday night, we went to Dearborn which borders Detroit to the west. Dearborn FD arrived on the scene of a large refinery with heavy heavy heavy fire showing and multiple explosions reported. DFD reported to have a large ruptured line within the refinery, with multiple cars on fire, buildings on fire and several workers missing. We were unable to shoot any photos as we weren't close enough and the fog was so intense the photos would not have turned out well. Mutual Aid was provided by Detroit EMS for transporting numerous patients.

As the fire at the Refinery was being brought under control we responded on a report of a Apartment building on fire. E49 arrived on the scene and had heavy fire showing and was dumping their monitor.

Not long after the Apartment building, we went to this Well Involved dwelling which was the 4th fire working at the same time and the 2nd time this particular house was on fire today. The arsonist just came back to do the job right the second time. This was the 4th fire in Chief 8's district in a couple hours

This Apartment building was to follow on the north side of town.

I will be finishing up the photos from the last house fire we made it to. Fire in a occupied 2 story dwelling with Chief 8 making it his 5th fire of the day.
We arrived late on this fire, but got this great shot of Ladder 17 power venting the house as they were mopping up.

Last Photo.....Squad 5 picking up from their 12th house fire of the shift at 0430hrs, which is the above fire. They said they were going back to the house, for Fish Sandwiches and Coffee and to wait on their 13th fire before they go home.

95% of the photos you have seen were all caused by Arson... "

Ffdfd

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where does the admin go during the auto show?

I don't know that the auto show affects their offices. I would assume that when Chrysler takes over the apparatus floor for entertaining, it only affects the administration's parking. Don't know for sure.

Nice post 7051. Detroit is Mecca for fire buffs. Out-of-towners with cameras is a regular sight at our fire scenes.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know why I would see Lad 16 downtown last night on a fire alarm with eng 8?

Maddog
Username: Maddog

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladder 16 is out of service it is being used as a spare....

Jcdfde5
Username: Jcdfde5

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladder 6 is using ladder 16 as the spare rig.
I was on that run on tuesday.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy no offence but sucks to be you! Did you guys have to check both towers? My dad I were walking back from the game and he was surprised to see only two rigs checking out both towers. I told him it was just an alarm and pointed out the flashing lights going off. Still lad 6 is a long way what about Lad 1 & 10?

Jcdfde5
Username: Jcdfde5

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladder 1 was closed. And it was an electrical problem in the basement causing light smoke. The alarm system tells you the location of the problem.

Dfd

Post Number: 358
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So is it colder than heck up there?

Lansingfire

Post Number: 83
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has been. (Lansing at least) Should break this weekend 40's and rain on Monday. The brothers had to do the old thaw the hose on the exhaust the other night. I take it you're not here in Michigan enjoying our sunny weather?

Dfd

Post Number: 360
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I'm in KY. To be honest, I probably couldn't hack it up there. You guys must be some tough dudes!
Enjoy the heat wave in the 40s.

Dfd

Post Number: 361
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, I posted a fund raising event on the non-Detroit forum. Any help would be appreciated. I'm in the pipe band.

Dfd

Post Number: 362
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Detroitteacher,
How's your dad? When he was on the job did they have a big spread on Super Bowl Sunday?

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad is doing just fine. Thanks for asking about him. It really does show that FF are a family.

I assume they had a big SB spread but dad was never into sports, so I don't think he cared either way. He was probably taking naps when the game was on...provided there weren't any fires. Either that or he was at the 10-4 house (they had better grub and it was always dad's favorite house, he'd go for dinner, even if he were stationed elsewhere...he loved having a Battalion Chief car). I don't recall him saying it was an easy day on SB Sunday. I don't recall him saying there was EVER an easy day.

Lansingfire

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone tell me if the Helmet shields (which are now metal) were ever a black leather? I know of a shield that has DFD on it, but that could be anyone.

Thanks

Ffdfd

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if shields were ever an issued item. There are a handful of guys on the job who make the metal shields, but I have seen a leather shield or two out there.

Dfd

Post Number: 363
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone heard any more about the firebrat t-shirts?

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Cousin was a batallion chief I think its called? He was at Southfield and Joy Rd. His name was Ted Panaretos.He is retired now. His Father, was also in the Detroit Fire Dept.as is his son currently. The Father ,Ted also, passed away a few years ago. Anyhow, I think my Cousin was once a tiller man.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello to all the fine men of the DFD. Many of you must remember Jack Mcgraw. Sorry to say he passed away 2 months ago. He was my grandmothers youngest brother. I never really knew him up until the past couple years. What a fun guy to sit and have a couple beers with.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jg: My Dad was Bat. Chief at Southfield and Joy until 2001 when he retired.

Dfd: I haven't heard a word about the brat t-shirts! Next time I go to a function, I'll be sure to bug the guy who was supposed to have them done.

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother-in-law was a member of the DFD. I won't mention his name. Once in the early eighties,after a night of drinking in various strip clubs, he decided to visit the fire station. I think it was on Morang (or maybe Houston-Whittier). We snuck in at about 2:30 A.M. He just wanted to see if any of his buddies were awake. We walked right in. I remember that all these guys were sleeping and snoring. I kept thinking that someone was going to wake up and think we were prowlers and that we were going to get our butts kicked. Nobody woke up. We just walked around for a little while and then we left.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 255
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Captain Dave McDowell of Ladder 6 -- known by everyone as Maddog -- passed away today (cancer). There is a Detroityes poster whose handle is Maddog. As Maddog posted mainly on fire-related topics, I assume that was him. Captain McDowell was a highly respected firefighter and the entire department carries a heavy heart. Below is a link to the death notice.

http://www.detroitfiremensfund .com/DeathNotice.htm

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 396
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks ffdfd- i knew Dave, so did my brother in law Chief Koz,

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit teacher, are you Ted's son?? I am your 2nd cousin, if you are. Your Dad and I went to Highland Park college together back in the mid 60's. Aren't you a fireman too?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not a fireman...as my name says, I am a teacher. My dad isn't Ted. Dad never went to college. Dad's name is Norm. I am no one's son...I am my father's daughter.

For all of you who appreciate a good photo...take a look at this one. Touching...

http://zecster.lbbhost.com/Pic s/Kiss.html?41