Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through March 11, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Amen! We need change! I get more uneasy with her every day...time to send another $25 to Obama...plus I need to write letters to the superdelegates in this state...I'm on the state Dem exec committee...Sgt at Arms...I carry mace just in case a Republican sneaks into a meeting.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>ES: Yup...but to the best of my memory no one of any consequence lived there!<<

Harry Ryba and his family who owned the Ryba's Fudge shops on Mackinac Island lived on the corner of Glenfield and Roseberry.

Goblue

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders: Mea Culpa, love that fudge...so... where is Glenfield and Roseberry?

Flanders_field

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are serious, it is (was) one and a half (counting Barrett) block east of Gratiot and three blocks north of E. Outer Dr.

Goblue

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders: Yeah, I am serious...that area was outside of my general range...not certain which high school attendance area that was?

Flanders_field

Post Number: 156
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that anyone living on the west side of Gratiot and northeast of the City Airport were part of the Osborn attendance area, but how far south and southwest of Denby HS, that it's attendance area covered, is a mystery to me.

There were grade school classmates of mine from St. David, which itself was near the corner of E. Outer Dr and Gratiot, who lived on Chelsea and Promenade, who also attended Denby HS, and those two streets are 5 blocks further south than Glenfield is.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders - Are you talking about the border between the Pershing and Osborn????

Eastside61

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

F and GB - in the 50's 60's to the south would be the SE and even Northeastern HS boundary until Kettering was built at Gratiot and Van dyke....

Trivia about Northeastern......its football field was 10 feet short of 100 yards...but games were still played at that field......the goal posts butted up against a chain link fence at both ends of the field and footballs kicked through the up-rights bounced off the fence

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 208
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is Glenfield a street?????...I remember a Glenwood like between FairCrest and Parkgrove......"

>>ES: Yup...but to the best of my memory no one of any consequence lived there!<<

Never heard of Glenfield ? Wow, that is surprising I guess you people are serious. That sounds like possible grounds for having east side credibility cards removed. De La Salle Collegiate was on Conner & Glenfield. The De La Salle Christian Brothers lived on Glenfield and they were definitely of consequence to anyone Catholic in the nearby neighborhoods. I guess you guys had an aversion to crossing Seymour or something.

Gratiot was generally the dividing line between Denby and Osborn attendance. The De La Salle neighborhood east of City Airport was Osborn but the Catholic school enrollment was a high percentage. The neighborhood around St. David was Denby and the attendance zone stretched west to Conner and south to I-94. Again, high percentage of Catholic school enrollment.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

W11446- us DHS grads lived a sheltered life and our parents drove us to high school every day.......and pick us up at Alpha's on Kelly Rd. right after school......It was like a catholic education at De La Salle.....i am now sorry that Glenfield cannot be viewed in the Street view any longer on Google Earth

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 210
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually a good number of De La Salle students before the school moved to Warren originated from working class backgrounds. In the 1960's it was mostly kids from working class backgrounds. Around 1966 tuition at De La Salle was about $225. Nowadays, the tuition is about $7200.
I think more parents were willing to sacrifice certain things back then to help the kids. Even if required buying a used car instead of a new car, not taking a vacation, etc.

Since some De La Salle students lived west of the airport calling them sheltered considering what the neighborhoods were like over there isn't really true. Knowing how to fight around Harper & McClellan was helpful.

By the way, didn't Denby have a stoplight on its Driver's Ed. range ?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6166
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This discussion of streets and high schools is pure Eastside awright. Might as well be talking about Cleveland for all jjaba knows. Amazing!

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1957
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes it did and we used to peel out when the instructors were round the buildings....

westside, isn't that where the filmed a musical?

Redford high was like a mirror image of Denby though...kind of strange...

Eastside61

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran - Don't be fooled by the Dexter Bus driver Jjaba.....he hung out on Northlawn and then Sussex moving further and further west and WENT to the EASTSIDE power house HS - CASS TECH......I am sure that Jjaba played Anita in the musical!

Flanders_field

Post Number: 158
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>us DHS grads lived a sheltered life and our parents drove us to high school every day.......and pick us up at Alpha's on Kelly Rd. right after school......It was like a catholic education at De La Salle<<

ES-You are somewhat correct about a Catholic education, the teachers, priests, nuns, and brothers, did inadvertently keep us relatively ignorant of the "real world" outside of our religion, while attending school and church, but we had our own bullies and troublemakers, albeit much less than in the public schools.

Upon graduating from St. David grade school, I was faced with a choice of high schools to attend.

Some of my male classmates chose to attend De La Salle HS for its excellent academics, but I decided that I would greatly miss seeing skirts in my classes, so I chose to attend St. David HS, which was still a relatively new HS building, having been built in 1964 or thereabouts.

Unfortunately after my freshman year, the HS closed due to alleged financial problems, and lower enrollment than anticipated, if I remember correctly.

Some of the 9th-11th grade students enrolled at Servite, and De La Salle HS the following year (1971) and some enrolled at either Osborn or Denby HS, the latter of which I decided to attend. It was quite a shock to my senses to say the least, to go from a very rigid and controlled school atmosphere, to the much looser and somewhat chaotic environment that was the public HS of Denby.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on March 08, 2008)

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 211
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"so I chose to attend St. David HS, which was still a relatively new HS building, having been built in 1964 or thereabouts."

Flanders_field,

The new St. David High School building opened around 1958. Having the new high school turned out to become a mistake. St. David was heavy handed towards the parishioners(included my relatives)about their financial contribution back in the 1950's for the new high school.

Goblue

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My range in high school was pretty much governed by the lake/river and Gratiot...can't really say why we didn't move around much west of Gratiot or southwest of city airport...but...that's the way it was.

Had to laugh at Flanders' thoughts about troublemakers and chaos...to tell the truth I never noticed either...other than the hustle and bustle you'd expect from a school of 4800 kids. I remember Ed Budde getting tossed out of class one time...but it was no big deal...I guess he thought that being a high school All-American gave him special status. Hell...I got bounced a couple of times myself...even then I had no tolerance for incompetent teachers and counselors. ES61 was almost stripped of his letter sweater for a sin not yet fully disclosed but rumored to have something to do with a skirt.

My "sheltered" life and transportation to school consisted of my bike...parked at a buddy's house and double locked (it on on Mapleridge) so I could walk the few blocks to Denby from there. By the time we were 16 somebody always had a car.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TO all - DHS was a total living organism......double sessions....and academic and social lives trying to be lived out by 3000 + 14 to 18 year olds......except GB who actually graduated (the word on his diploma is Promoted) when he was 23 years old.....actually GB drove to Columbus Elementary and parked on Brock and Mapleridge - what a guy! He was a legend in the DHS neighborhood.....for years.

Goblue

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It should now be clear to all exactly why ES61 was unable to be admitted to one of the fine Catholic schools on the Eastside!

Flanders_field

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My earliest memory of Denby HS was in 1969. I don't remember why my friends and I were there, but I think that we were riding our bikes to go to Eastland.

There was a large group of students in front of the school and some of them had lifted and dropped a telephone pole across Kelly Rd. to block traffic as a protest against the Vietnam War or something. Many were standing on or in front of the pole on the street yelling and jumping around, and we did not hang around to find out what resulted later, or if the cops got involved.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FF - Interesting times in the late sixties......I lived in Detroit in 69 but don't remember the incident.....sounds like fun times.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: By '69 I was headed to Richland, MI...Gull Lake Schools...just east of Kzoo...on the road again...missed all of the fun on the Eastside...and in A2...had a wife, a kid, mortgage, car payment...as Zorba the Greek noted..."The whole catastrophe!"

Eastside61

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - up until the summer of '69 I spent teaching in the DPS and in the summers in the federal teaching programs in inner city schools......but in June 69 I packed my Pontiac (no laughing as you remember that is was traded for a Datsun) and Chris Petrouleas (SE grad in 59) and I headed to SF....since he was dating a UAL flight attendant......she used to fly into Motown but was based in SF....
So we were both movin' and never looking back except to formulate the Living History of the EASTSIDE....

Goblue

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Chris P...wow...that name sounds familiar...SE59 was in the January class...she was the class secretary...too small a world. UAL...those were the coffee, tea, or me days...have a couple of great stories about a Delta attendant...from my B'ham days.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5262
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad read this thread...Denby-1964 and had a good laugh. Him and my mom went there. he went to Burbank and ma went to MacGregor. I hear all sorts of stories about the 8/kelly/Boulder "hood" all the time. My dad used to drag race down 8 Mile and on Gratiot a lot. Got his ass tossed in jail for doing it on Kelly near State Fair though.

Goblue

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pat: 8 Mile was a great place for drag racing...was out there a few times myself. I'm '59 and ES is '61...we're both from Columbus Elem...a few years ahead of your folks who lived on the Eastside in the best time of all!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P - Tell mom and dad that GB ES Gibran Kelly road and 7/Kelly are putting a book together and then a movie (ha ha) Hung out with some of those Burbank MacGregor neighborhood individuals....we need mom and dad's recollections......

Ask your dad about Gratiot as it was the Eastside version of Woodward Ave. for drag racing......what kind of auto did dad drive in those days? Did dad play any hockey at Heilmann?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5263
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad had a 57 Chevy, then a Fury, and then a 65 vette, but got drafted into Army so he couldnt enjoy it. Mom met dad at Heilman for first date....let's see... Mom tells me of the house that blew up a block behind Collingham (her street) when a kid was cleaning car parts with wd40 in the basement next to the water heater. Anyone remember Chucky, a little person who went to Cass Tech? He lived on Rossini and had a Corvette too! Had to have blocks on the pedals. My dad lived at the corner of Rossini and Boulder. I was baptised at Cross of Glory Lutheran at State Fair and Kelly...more to come.

Goblue

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pat: Oh man...your dad drove some hot cars...can't wait to hear their memories of the Eastside. Did your folks meet at the Heilmann ice rink?

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's get back to some real Denby memories..not just Denby neighborhood! How about the cockroaches in the locker rooms and elsewhere???? I'll never forget a bunch of half naked young women scattering when someone shook out their gym shorts to find them inhabited by roaches. Then Mrs. Oren or the other locker room lady would come with the big pump spray cannister of what was probably DDT and go after them.

And the days when the Senior Lounge was downstairs under the stage. That place gave me the creeps...again, because of creepy crawlies. During my stay at Denby the lounge was moved to the area in front of the main office.

Remember obeying the driver training speed limit when you were out in the main area in front of the garage, but when you got behind it, "speeding"??? I remember sitting in biology class and seeing a "speeder" hit a tree with one of the new '66 Barracuda's.