Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Spartans still dominant in Men's basketball » Archive through March 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 541
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverines still have a LONG way to go if they wish to compete with the Spartans on the basketball court.

Also, if I were a wolverine fan, I would be worried about this style of game that Belein is bringing in. If you guys get hot shooting the ball you won't lose, but nobody can stay hot forever. If Michigan continues to play that style of play they will never have to toughness to grind out wins on nights that their shot isn't falling.

In the end however, GO GREEN! Always nice to get a win over your little sister.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM doesnt have the players yet, but that will change. I was impressed by all the open looks we had today. The offense is better then in the Amaker days and given the type of players we will get we well be successful.
Msu has a lot of studs, yet I am not all that impressed with how they play, but they are young and will get better.
And we can take the petty comments about "little sister" and not pout.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 542
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy to get "open looks" when you are chucking it from 3 all day long. An offense built around relying on making a high percentage of three point shots is not a model for long term success.

Kenp

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont disagree with you 3 point observation. With Beilein its a run and gun offense that has had great success in all his stops. Given the right group of players we will have success.
Since this is a MSU thread, I will give your team kudo's. Your year could be special, good luck.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 543
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If MSU can get a handle on its turnovers, they are a final four team.

In my opinion, if they don't make it to at least the Elite 8, this will be a disappointing year.

Going back to Michigan, something that the announcers touched upon briefly but I would like to expound upon a bit. One thing that is a BIG question about Belein's system is not only how dependent it is upon the 3 point shot but also how that system matches up against Big Ten defenses. As Clark Kellogg noted during the game, Big Ten teams tend to play more straight up, physical man-to-man defense than the Big East does. This means that it will be harder for a team like UM to get good looks at the basket if they can't get some offense from in the paint through their big men or by a guy who can beat defenders off the dribble.

Michigan fans are going to have to be patient if Belein has any hope of building a competitive team.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5019
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

***NOT DOMINANT***

Three Spartans fouled out against lowly ranked Penn State tonight--setting a couple of MSU-alltime free-throws attempted records (against) in the process, losing by nine points. They arewere ranked, what, eighth? overall?

Too bad... that the Badgers lost to Purdue--their only Big Ten loss.

BTW, MSU is now fourth in the Big Ten.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

BTW, MSU is now fourth in the Big Ten.

Haha, yeah, 1 WHOLE game out of first. lol

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5043
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU has a tough schedule on the road with three teams ahead of them. Two more losses and they'll be a big NIT contender.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 560
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

keep dreaming LY,

MSU is in the tourney for sure. Michigan will get lucky for an NIT invite.

As far as MSU's loses go, there have been some very questionable stuff going on. In MSU's 3 loses their opponents have shot 111 free throws to MSU's 40. That is a bit odd. Also, specifically in the Penn State game, Penn State doesn't score a field goal in the final 7:41 seconds yet thanks to 20 free throws over that span of time, they managed to win.

Don't those numbers look at bit off to you?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5044
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved listening to every one of those record-breaking MSU-created free-throw attempts. [However, that game was really L O N G.] It's hard for PS to score when they got fouled so frequently.

Penn State is probably the worst FT team in the Big Ten. That score differential would have been nearly 20+ points with a half-way decent FT-shooting team.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 561
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt MSU crapped the bed that game. However, 51 free throws is absurd. Sometimes, I think MSU's rep for tough defense makes the refs call them a lot closer than they call the opponent. That happened a few years ago the last time Michigan beat Michigan State. Michigan finished the game +34 in free throw opportunities.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5045
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU will go into the tournament better than last year (21-10). Probably 24-7 or 25-6. They got four tough and three iffy games left.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5223
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can MSU be ranked #10--highest among any in the Big Ten? However, they're currently only in fourth place in the Big Ten, still, but now tied with OSU.

After OSU beats UM tomorrow, MSU will be all alone in fifth place in the Big Ten.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 579
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That will change when the new rankings come out today or tomorrow. MSU had a HORRIBLE week and their ranking will suffer. As a Spartan fan I thought as the freshman started gelling with the older members of the team the turnovers would drop, but this is clearly becoming a DANGEROUS issue for the Spartans. If they don't correct it, they will continue to underachieve.

When they play mistake free ball, they are clearly the class of the Big Ten. However, you will not beat teams when you commit 19 turnovers in a game.

Kenp

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Livernois, UM wins vs OSU
This late in the season the Spartans are not the class of the Big ten. Watch out for Purdue. For the last 7 years its been the same story, MSU has been ELITE yet no Big 10 Championships.
I think Izzo has them all screwed up in the head.

Jaja
Username: Jaja

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The SPARTANS are just having trouble on the road (all 5 losses away from Breslin ).. Don't
know what a coach can do when that happens and
the Big ten Championships are again in...oh no.
Indiana! Why is it that either Illinois or Indiana continually host the Big Ten Championships? Why ?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5241
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU might not be so fortunate as to get lined up with NU for its first tourney game, as last year.

Still, MSU, as expected, dropped in the rankings from #10 to #17 or #19, depending upon which ranker. However, now they trail all of their Big Ten leaders in both major rankings.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 582
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a lot of it is that Izzo is not adjusting to the fact that other teams have figured out how to stop the motion weave offense. Teams are switching to a zone defense and putting a LOT of pressure on the ball handler because Izzo's offense doesn't rely on any dribble penetration.

Until Izzo lets his perimeter guys try and beat their defender with the dribble a bit, opposing defenses will play tight on the outside, making it hard to get open looks and easy to commit turnovers.

Jaja

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your right ElJimbo... the Spartans look
like they're all handling a hot potato on offense
each player looking to pass it off to somebody else , until the shot clock goes down under 10 sec, then it's any shot ....

El_jimbo

Post Number: 588
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's like Gene Hackman's "you must pass the ball five times before you shoot it" offense in Hoosiers gone horribly wrong.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 589
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good win by the Spartans last night. They definitely needed a game like that. If they can right the ship, I still think they are the best team in the Big Ten talentwise.

Kenp

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overall talent at MSU is the best in the league, and getting better. I think the chemistry is off. Izzo should just let them play, they are to harnessed. I recall the year MSU had magic and started off so poorly, Magic complained to Jud to let them play. From that point forward they were a much better team.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5277
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahem... If the NCAA were today, MSU would probably be seeded forth or fifth in their regional.

Yet, two handicappers still pick MSU to win the Big Ten tourney, as either a second or fourth seed.

Kenp

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will never get past UM in the big 10 tourney, hehehe.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 591
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing with Izzo is that for whatever reason, he's a great coach in prepping teams for the "one and done" situations of a tournament. I think over the course of a season he rides the team to hard at times. I agree with Kenp that he needs to let the team loose a bit. They are so stuck in the system that EVERYBODY, including the other team knows what they are going to do.

Kenp

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First time you ever agreed with me Jimbo.
You guys will be fine, a Big ten championship would be nice for you.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5431
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

57 - 42

Kenp

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Izzo's ego has ruined another team. Such talent gone to waste.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5433
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After the game Izzo said that the missed shots were the cause.

Wisconsin only shot 38%, BTW. But their defense is tops in the Big Ten.

Maybe MSU can help my Badgers out and beat IU.

Jaja

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Sparty is getting it together just in time for the B10 tourney and the NCAA....
Hope they get another crack at the Cheeseheads ..
if Wisc makes it that far in either tourney!...