Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through March 26, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just heard about this forum - Was a "Faircrest" St. Jude Parishioner and 1970 grad. Came back to St. Jude Parish this fall - wonderful new pastor -Father Robert Liberty. Still see some familiar faces from the "old days". Come back home - You'll be glad you did!

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 728
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad was class of 60 from St. Jude his brothers were 58 and 56 and his sister 61. Then they all went on to Notre Dame/Regina.
My grandma taught there and they lived kitty corner from the Church, on the Lappin corner lot.
She lived in that house until she passed away in 1993.
I went to Regina too and remember going to the Northesst Catholic Credit Union across the street where my dad's acount number was something like 32.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

campfiregirl: Faircrest and what?.....I was 15906 Eastwood betwen Rex and Redmond...KR: that sure is you in that cub scout pic.....I'm trying to determine if I'm in the pic too.....

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faircrest between Rex and Redmond - and sorry, I was in the St. Jude Campfire Girls Group. St. Jude didn't have a Girl Scout troop, they had Campfire Girl groups. This would have been in the mid-late 60s.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 250
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campfire_girl: You may have been in the CFGs with my sister in the mid 60s... lived on Eastwood between Rex and Redmond

On Faircrest the Wolf family comes to mind and there was a family 2nd house off Redmond (forgot name) and yes the Campfire Girls at St. Jude were very active in the 60s...good leaders

(Message edited by Kellyroad on March 21, 2008)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K, I thought you may be in the back of the pic. Isn't that your cousin Steve on the right?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt we were in the same group. My Mom was a troop leader and we were always on the go!
"Our" St. Jude family gave us wonderful memories as children - and it's still providing us a "home" today!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 252
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie: small world. I'm guessing Mrs. Pierce was your grandmother. I recall driving my mom to deliver packages of Christmas cards in the 80s to her home. They had tea together. She also taught many St. Jude students math. I can thank Mrs. Pierce for driving the concept of fractions home until it was mastered. She and Sr. Robert Marie taught our 5th grade class 63-64

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR....I'm glad you I'D Steve.confirms my ID too(rest his soul) and yea, it might be me in the back row........it's amazing how much better I look now! (hm hm)and have we determined if Campfiregirl is one the many Wolf progeny? (Pat and Steve being my Wolf connection.........

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know its a bit of a leap from St. Jude's...but does anyone remember a Fred Cardinali who went to Notre Dame or a Diane Cardinali who went to Regina. Fred would have graduated about 1960...and Diane about 1961 or '62. I think they both went to Assumption Grotto Elem.

They were my next door friends on Fordham. Fred and I both went to WMU and worked together in the Warren Woods Schools in the early-mid '60's.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR:.........you forgot Fr. LoGrasso...and wasn't (isn't?)Fr. DeHarnay twins with Fr........Fr....Fr.somebody?.. ..and I was waiting for you to mention Sr. Robert Marie..5th grade........she was short!.........thats all for now

Kellyroad

Post Number: 253
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Ah Yes, Fr. La Grasso and his accent made sermons very interesting.
and interestingly one of the Wolf girls married Louie S......the neighborhood lives on

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR.........HMMMM..........an Eastwoodian and Faircrestian (I made that up!) being married could be construed as...........as.....hmmmmm

Kellyroad

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campfire_girl: Thanks for the info about Fr Bob Liberty. It's been a while since I've been back (about 5 yrs ago). Fr. Ray at that time was very excited about the newly remodeled church and the dynamics of parish life and service to the St. Jude and northeast Detroit community.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR:.......Do we know where campfiregirl lives now?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good question 7K:
Campfire_girl: Do you live in the St. Jude Parish boundary? What is the current parish life like now? I know this is a nostalgia thread but it's also nice to hear about the current life of the parish community.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly Rd and 7K
Mary and Marge Wolf were in my group and also Lori S. Barbie W married Louis. I'm in Warren now - but make the trip to St. Jude each week. Well, worth it and am glad I'm back. St. Jude has an active parish and does a lot of pantry assistance to local residents. I helped with the "Mardi Gras" this year, held after the 4:30 Mass in the old "lower church" -now the church hall. Great success. Area has changed, and I've driven down the "old street" many times. It's still very safe at church - never had a problem. Under new pastorship (sp), St. Jude is re-connecting with previous parishioners as well as inviting those whose parishes have closed - Guardian Angels, St. Brendans...Stop by and give it a try.
I write Sr. Marie Christine and Sr. Paul Therese (upstairs in the gym for 7th? grade - with Mr. McAdams) Got their connection info when St. Jude had their all school reunion a few years ago.
Great to remember the good times. Great memories at St. Jude, Heilmann picnics and student plays for all our Irish priests!

Harmonie

Post Number: 731
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KellyRd you are correct! Mrs. Pierce was my grandmother:-) She was kind of strict as a grandmother...I can't imagine having her for a teacher:-)

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie-
Didn't your Uncle Dave graduate in '57? I think he was a year ahead of me.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL: HAPPY EASTER!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Kelly Road! Happy Easter to you too!

Harmonie

Post Number: 732
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah...Uncle Dave probably would have been '57. Small world!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Jude 7th grade class - 1968-69
7th Grade St. Jude Class

Kellyroad

Post Number: 258
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campfire_girl: Who was or were your teacher(s) in 7th grade?

Out of curiosity, is there anyone you still keep an acquaintance or friendship with from your St. Jude school days?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly Road: Mr. Dull and Sister Marie Raymond (?) I think were the 7th grade teachers. Still keep in contact with many St. Jude friends. The 35 year reunion we had was a big success and renewed more friendships. Some are still St. Jude Parishioners and have raised their families as they participated in St. Jude through the years. Some flew in from out of state to attend the event.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Father Bill Downey ever a priest at St. Jude's (I am thinking early 70s). He was a friend of our family. I thought that he was there for a while.

He had been at St. Paul's in GP back in th 60s.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish_Mafia - the name sounds familiar. I think there was a Father Bill Dowell (sp) that was a Pastor.

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Jude class of 1964

1st- Sister Madonna Marian
2nd- Mrs. LaMonica, later Ms. Joseph (she was beautiful)
3rd- Mrs. Bork,later Ms. Peters (Or was it Mrs. Bork in second and Mrs. LaMonica in third?)
4th- Sr. Louis Arthur (classroom in the church)
5th- Sr. Madonna Marian again (I think)
6th- Sr. Marian Elizabeth(my favorite)
7th- Sr. Inocencia (upstairs in the gym)
8th- Sr. Ellen Therese (nicknamed Bozo, very mean)

First principal: Sister Thomas Marie ?? (Was that her name?)

Second principal: Sr. Leonita (Leo the Lion)

Cub Scout Troop 420, Den 8, Mr. Gadula
Boy Scout Troop 420

Remember the girls loved Fr. Grady because he looked like Paul Macartney.

Fr. Pasquale LoGrasso had the thick Italian accent.

Slowosfs
Username: Slowosfs

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For updates on St. Jude Parish, check out www.stjudedetroit.com

I try to keep the website as current as possible. During Easter Week I'm taking a break, but it always provides Mass times, directions to the Church, special events, and a copy of the recent weekly parish paper.

(Message edited by slowOSFS on March 26, 2008)

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slowosfs: Thanks for the reference to the St. Jude Web. It's great to be able to check for current events. I believe we'll be planning some Parish "Founding" events this year.