Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through March 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 540
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"I looked at Inge's career stats on mlb.com and they aren't as good as I thought. 205 has been his best overall year and his stats are definitely not improving".

I hope Inge isn't another Maroth.

Great guy but a MLB player with a limited upside career.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 204
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got my tix for Tigs @ St. Pete's Mar 16 & Dmitri Young & the Nationals Mar 18 @ Lakeland - anybody else going down?

By the way I hate Ticketmaster! Tickets are never sold best seats 1st. I go on at 10:05 and best seats are row Q so I wait 10 minutes and I get row G - same section.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one prediction I made, prior to last season, turned out to be right on the money. Here is one for this season:
Dontrelle Willis will be one of the twenty most-popular Tigers EVER, and he will have 12 Wins before the All-Star break.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6932
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, I wouldn't bet against you on that one. I've heard Dontrelle Willis on some radio interviews and he really seems like a personable, fan friendly, and super bright guy.

I'm actually kind of excited to day at the fact that they signed Nate Robertson to a long term deal. I think of his value to the team and it just secures another good left arm for the team. I've felt bad for him the alst few years because of the lack of run support for the guy.

I'm still nearly giddy at the fact that our line-up is so potent, we might actually have a future Hall of Famer and $13 million dollar guy in Pudge Rodriguez batting ninth. Utterly amazing.

I do wish that somehow someway the Brandon Inge ordeal wouldbe resolved. I'm not sure how just yet but at least Dave Dombrowski & Jim Leyland have tried to do and say all the right things about him. He's still a beloved guy in this town but baseball's such a tough ego thing to swallow if you're not a starter. Inge has re-invented himself so many times and maybe one more time would be the kicker to be a part of this high caliber team.

As far as my pre-season prediction where I don't step too far out on the limb? I say Curtis Granderson finally unseats Grady Sizemore as the American League All-Star starter in centerfield this year. He's been amazing and will continue to do so.

Ravine

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OPEN LETTER TO JEREMY BONDERMAN

Dear Jeremy,

We have a helluva starting lineup, but everybody knows that pitching wins games, and most of us know that our bullpen was a serious weakness, last season. But the question for you is, which Jeremy Bonderman are you going to be? It's time for you to realize that the decision is yours, and make that decision. (Ever notice how Nate has good days, and bad days, out on the mound, but he's always the same Nate? Fate, bad luck, and karma have nothing to do with it, Jeremy. He knows what he can do, and he goes out there and does it. Sometimes it works out well; sometimes not so good.)
It's like, we can't tell if you're a potential ace, or a #3 guy. What are you going to be, Jeremy? The guy who ends up with a career E.R.A. of under 4... or over 5? Speaking of averages, are you O.K. with averaging 11 wins, and 12 losses?
And, that 1st Inning bullshit was just too ridiculous. The reason that kept happening is that you were buying into it. I saw you out there, some of those times. Psychologically, you were totally fuckin' lost. You have a great arm, a pitch they call "the slider from hell," and plenty of experience, but sometimes I think your skull is loosely packed with stale cheese corn. And, do you remember your brilliant idea, from last season, when you were trying to get back on track, and you decided that you were just going to go out there and heave the fucking ball as hard as you could? Oh yeah, J, terrific plan. That worked for one start. The batters were thrown off by the unexpected change in your approach. Then, just in case word wasn't going to get around anyway, you announced, afterward, that you were going to keep doing it. Guys on other teams figured, All I gotta do is be a little patient, and he'll serve up one that I can hit into the next vernal equinox.
You have damned near everything a guy could need to be successful in your situation. Get out there and take care of business. Fuckaround time is over.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6972
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, you forgot to sign it from all of us caring Tigers fans.

Yes, I agree that this should be the year JB takes the step forward with his career. He's got all of the tools so go out there and make us champions!

401don

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every game Bonderman throws nothing but fastballs in the 1st inning. Not only that but because he never has his control until he's thrown 30 pitches, they all tail back over the plate. In the 2nd he starts dominating with his slider. Is there a rule you can't throw sliders in the 1st? Yet I still here the announcers say he needs to establish his fastball. One more thing. It's not that hard to learn an off-speed pitch. Just knuckle two fingers and aim below the knees.

Ravine

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that "he has to establish his fastball" stuff is a bunch of bullshit, the announcers using the usual tired cliches, in this case maybe as a way of making an excuse for Bonderman doing something stupid.
I get so tired of hearing those guys say the same shit, using the same expressions, over and over, particularly Rod Allen. Another one: "_______ is cheating a little bit." And oh yeah, there's "dead red" and "filthy."
But maybe we shouldn't get started, on that issue.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well they're right to a point. Everyone knows he has a slider, so a lot of batters will sit on it, because if you're ready to hit it, it's an easy pitch to hit. Where it gets good is that it looks pretty similar to a fastball. So if he is able to mix them appropriately, THAT'S when it becomes a dangerous pitch (see game against Yankees).

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A properly thrown slider is nearly impossible to (pardon the innuendo) get good wood on. The problem is that if it is properly thrown, it is a ball. Therefore the batter only needs to not swing at it. Really tough when it looks like a thigh-high fastball right in the middle of the plate, only to dive away from a right handed hitter. Hanging sliders on the other hand usually don't stay in the park. They're just like fastballs, except not fast.

401don

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As you fine folks go past Comerica Park on your way to Winterfest this evening just a reminder- only 5 days 'till pitchers and catchers report!

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 211
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just out of curiosity...I was looking at the tigers schedule online...and only like...8 games have the T next to the date to purchase tickets...Is this a glitch...or is every game really sold out???

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 255
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Single game tickets aren't on sale until March 1st. The only tickets you can buy right now, other than some remaining season ticket packages, are away games, and only a few of those other teams are selling any tickets right now either.

(Message edited by yupislyr on February 10, 2008)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pitchers and catchers report today! And so the countdown to opening day begins.

Ravine

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to an article in which Leyland is quoted making an interesting point about the pitchers' role in keeping baserunners under control. It is worth considering because Rodriguez took a lot of criticism, last season, for failing to throw out more guys on SB attempts, and there is also the fact that, even when there is no SB attempt involved, it is always bad business to allow guys to wander too far from the bag.
Also included is an insightful remark from Sheffield, who is, indisputably, an authority on the subject of Controlling At-Bats. (We will not find many power hitters whose BB's so greatly outnumber their K's.)
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/ news/article.jsp?ymd=20080217& content_id=2377482&vkey=spt200 8news&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

Smogboy

Post Number: 7133
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Ravine... another season of us talking Tigers have come up upon us once more. Amazing. Now remember, you're supposed to be the firebrand, emotional fan and I get to play the calmer of the two in this conversation.

Awww heck..let's just enjoy this season and see where it goes. It should be exciting.

Ravine

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am hoping that people will stop buying into, and helping to spread, the notion that Brandon Inge is doing a lot of selfish bitching and could become a problem for team chemistry. One minute, the yahoos in the media are reporting that Inge is unhappy with his status; the next minute, Tiger fans are blowing it all way out of proportion, grumbling that Inge should "stop his bellyaching" (a trite and stoopid term) and be glad that he's making so much money and playing for a team with such a great chance at making it to the post-season.
Inge has worked hard, and through some very difficult years, for this team. It took him a good while to land the 3B job, and he took a great deal of pride in his handling of that position. Inge is not an idiot. He knows that the addition of Miguel Cabrera dramatically raises our offensive potential. He also knows that his performance, last season, at the plate was inferior. (Although, when folks speculate that if Inge would have hit better last season, all of this might not have occurred, they're crazy; unless your 3Bman is A-Rod, the availability of Cabrera is automatically something to act on.) I do not get the idea that Inge is actually "mad at" anybody, but cripes, how could he be anything BUT unhappy with his situation? And then the media, who know that he must be unhappy, ask him how he feels about it, he verifies that yes, he's unhappy, and the result is that the dunderhead fans get on his ass and characterize him as a crybaby!
It's a fucked-up situation, for Inge. Could we, at least, give him the space to be bummed about it without making him out to be a whiny little bitch? We absolutely DO owe him that much.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7206
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Leyland holding that press conference awhile back will hopefully end the speculation and wonderment by the media. I really do hope that Inge will live up to not being a cancer in the clubhouse. He's always come across as a honest hard working guy so I don't see how he wouldn't be.

There are SO many more things to focus with this team other than Brandon Inge's playing time. Ravine is dead-on right about giving Brandon Inge his space. He wears the old english D for now and he's deserves our support. Until something else changes, he's one of our boys.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 578
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RE: Brandon Inge.

Let it play itself out.

Let's see if he becomes a problem before we attempt to diagnose and solve the Inge problem.

If someone asked Inge today how Inge will feel on May 1 I doubt that Inge himself wouldn't be able to answer the question.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 592
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the pleasure of attending my first game at Joker Marchant Stadium on Thursday afternoon. Inge received an exceeding warm welcome when he was introduced pinch hitting in the eighth--as large as any of the starters--and again when he singled.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 579
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may work out.

I'm sure Leyland will try to get Brandon as much PT as he can.

I'd guess there will be days with Cabrara sits, Pudge sits, big leads and Cabrara plays 1/2 a game, etc. If there are doubleheader games. Maybe DH when Sheff plays in the OF.

Brandon's role will CHANGE but need not be reduced to near zero impact.

Ravine

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the funny thing: Inge could end up playing, even starting, quite a bit. Leyland could use the availability of Inge, the DH spot in the lineup, and the fact that several of our guys can play more than one position as a way of resting guys on a regular basis. If we can afford the roster-luxury of carrying Santiago, as well, we can rotate virtually everybody into regular days off. The two guys who could wind up having to play almost every day are Granderson & Guillen.
Naturally, you don't want to constantly fiddle with the lineup, but every manager likes to have available options.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4060
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet Inge gets 400 at bats, between subbing at third, catcher, dh, and other places and you know, someone will get injured.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 306
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ran into Jim Tromly...former Detroit Tigers on-air personality who worked alongside Ernie from 83-86...got to talk baseball, about the past and the upcoming season...Seemed very excited about the possibility of another Tigers World Series.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cabrera to stay for 8 more years for $153.3 million

ESPN Article

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 206
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news, a satisfactory contract for both sides, now go after some friggin' BP help.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7370
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's commitment for you! Bravo to the Tigers for getting things nailed down. A guy like Cabrera is also the sort of guy that can lure others to play here as well. Look at what a commitment like the signing of Pudge did a few years ago. It might have seemed as though we overpaid back then but it gave other free agents a sense of wanting to play with a winner here.

Bravo Dave Dombrowski.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7373
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bummer deal. Granderson out with a broken finger for awhile.

Ravine

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that sucks. However, Curtis' absence will create an opportunity for some other guys to get some playing time, and lored nose we are so loaded with batting power that his absence should not cripple our offense.
Wouldn't it be ironic if Inge opens the season in CF and, by the time Curtis returns, someone else goes down with a minor injury which requires Inge to play at their position, and that scenario just keeps repeating itself all season, with the result being that Brandon amasses 500 at-bats and drives in 70+ runs while not actually owning any specific position on defense?
O.K., O.K., I know... I'm being a little silly, but it IS possible.
On another subject, those of you who know how I usually see things will not be surprised by the fact that I am not in agreement with those who insist that we need to "go out and get somebody" for our bullpen. It does not work that way. Truly worthwhile "set-up" guys are very important in today's game, and they sure as hell don't grow on trees. If we obtain somebody through a trade, it probably will be a guy who we are thinking (speculating, really) MIGHT be able to do the job, and I say to hell with that; we already have our own guys who MIGHT be able to do the job. It probably will, and probably should, come down to seeing if one of our guys can step up and handle the task. Why the hell should we trade anybody just to get some other team's maybe/maybe not material? Screw that.
Of course, I can hear it now; there will be folks, calling the radio shows, presenting the usual package deals where we bundle up three guys for whom we have no firm use and trade them to the Angels for Scot Shields.
Yeah, y'know, I still don't understand why the Red Sox didn't go for the one where we would send them Lynn Jones, John Wockenfuss, and Tom Veryzer for that Clemens kid. No wonder it took them so long to win a World Series.

401don

Post Number: 332
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Ravine that no one guy is going to save the bullpen but I just got back from seeing 3 games in Florida and spring training or not, this bullpen is a mess. Brydak is getting crushed. Rodney is out. Remember how bad Grilli was last year and now he's being counted on as a reliable arm? How can a guy like Cruceta pitch in the U.S. the last several yrs and now can't get a visa? Could his steroid suspension last yr have anything to do with it?
Willis, Robertson and Rogers generally do not pitch deep in most games. We need help from somewhere. Fast.