Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through March 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburntoo
Username: Eastburntoo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1961 graduate. Sr. Ann Nicholas, Sr. Evangelita, Sr. Rose Celeste. 7th grade in the portables. Fountain pens, control paper. Mr. Deboe (I think I got his name right) and a 5000 word composition over the weekend on archaeology. I still remember those days as some of the best of my life.

Chuck Kaiser, Paul Krause, Lynne Kinnard, Cathy Lage, Sandra Gore. My, my, I wonder where they all are. What a group.

Grandpamike
Username: Grandpamike

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My cousin Geraldine Wozniak, who now lives in California, graduated from the grade school in 1954. Friends of our family Patrick and Lynn Nagel came out in the early 1980s. Geri was married in the lower church (1960s) because they were remodeling the upper church.

Grandpamike
Username: Grandpamike

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cousin Geraldine lived on Novara. The Nagels lived on Fordham. Geri later attended Dominican H.S. and brother Tom went to Notre Dame. The Nagel kids attended Notre Dame and Regina.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburntoo: I FORGOT about the fountain pens with the ink cartridges! You are SO right about the wonderful memories at St. Jude! They were truly some wonderful years. Priests: Father Ording, Father O'Leary, Father O'Callahan, Father Grady. Teachers: Mrs. Huget, Sister Ellen Richard, Sister Paul Therese, Sister Marie Christine, Sister Robert Marie - and in the 70's Sr. Joyce who ushered in the no habit, short skirt era. THAT was a time of confusion!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburntoo-
Where did you live on Eastburn?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the little supply shop off the Maddelein entrance that sold supplies such as control paper and fountain pens. The pens were relatively expensive for that time. If my memory serves me correctly the pen and cartridge cost $1.00. Of course that was before cheap ball point pens were available. And of course ball point pens were not allowed because it was easier to gouge into the wooden desks. If there were marks or gouges on the desks "it must have been done by the catechism students" LOL

Eastburntoo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn,

I lived at 16251 between Boulder and Cordell. My dad scratched my name and the year "1947" in the piece of approach cement to the side door at the house, I wonder if it's still there.

I remember the house had coal heat when we first moved in, and I remember before we had a TV. Must have been around 1952 or 53. At that time, there were only about 5 other houses between ours and 8 mile road. I remember a big ditch in front of the house and a dirt road at first too. The whole area from State Fair to 8 mile and Boulder to Kelly road was the very last in that corner to get built. McGregor wasn't there until I started first grade (I think 1953).

Some of the other things in this thread, that young man who blew himself up by accident in the basement of his house, his name was John Sarti. He was a friend of mine a few years before that incident. I also remember Mr. Julius Sawicki, the freelance artist, just lived three doors down from me also. I couldn't believe all the memories that came back from this thread. I just discovered this site a couple days ago.

Eastburntoo

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a way to get this site to email you a link back to this thread when more posts are made? Most other sites allow that.

Eastburn

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburntoo,

I lived at 15680 between Rex & Crusade. It was about the oldest house on the block and sat a lot closer to the road than all the other houses. We figured it must have been one of the original farmhouses.
If there's a way to be notified of new posts, I don't know it.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fr. Grady left the priesthood and got married back in the seventies. Last I heard he was divorced.
Does anyone remember Sr. Joyce?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: Yes, absolutely. Sr. Joyce and Mr. Joseph - 8th grade. Sr. Joyce started the "non" nun look and if I'm not mistaken had the guitar to go along with the new image. Sister Marie Christine was another 8th grade teacher and I don't remember the 4th.

Jcole

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was Miss Panessa (spelling??). She used to run to Mr. Joseph every time we did something wrong. 'Roger, can you come and talk to my class??'

Jcole

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Sr. Joyce marry Mr. Hugg, the gym teacher?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole - That's RIGHT - it was Ms. Paonessa! I heard that Sister Joyce married Mr. Hugg, but didn't know it that was fact or fiction. Wouldn't be surprised to find it was true. I remember it was quite a change from a few grades prior, when we could hear Sister Robert Marie coming down the hall because of the 40 lb rosary beads hanging from her habit! Instant QUIET in the room when we heard those beads!

Eastburntoo

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn,

That's funny. I remember seeing your house before. Used to ride my bike down there sometimes and then cut up to 8 mile rd. to Preston's pharmacy and buy "Combat", "Gunner and Sarge" and "Superman" comic books there. This would have been in the late 50's. I also remember until I was 12 or 13 years old, no one in the neighborhood even locked their doors. When home OR away on short visits. Things sure are different.

Campfire girl, you're also right about those beads. Those nuns used to wear their gear kind of like a holy "cartridge belt" back in those days.

I also will never forget having Sr. Evangelita, who, by the way, was very very sensitive to any misconduct at all. Jim Bialk and I were standing with the rest of the class lined up in front of the church for confirmation, when a pidgeon, sitting on one of the over the main door arches, took target practice and scored a direct hit on the back of George Wertz's head who was standing directly in front of us. We were innocent victims of the funniest incident of our sixth grade lives. We almost lost our lives at the hand of Sr. Evangelita when we started laughing right in the formation too. All dressed up in those white suits, and "BOOM! whooda thought?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the above picture is of Sr. Madonna Marion my first and second grade teacher 59-60, 60-61

Fond memory: I had trouble coloring in the 1st grade, more like scribbling. My color assignments would come back "Unsatisfactory". Sr. Madonna Marion used a stamp with an angel with its head down and wings drooping. (The excellent papers received an "Excellent" with the wings up and the angle blowing a horn). Anyway, one day Sr.MM called me up to her desk while everyone was doing their charting assignments. She pulled out the board on her desk, put a coloring sheet on the board, placed her arm around me and patiently showed me how to outline before coloring. It made all the difference. Afterwards, papers came back graded "improving" to "excellent" thanks to her patience and an act of kindness.

Eastburn

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really had a lot of respect for the nuns. I think I may have gotten to know them a little better than most since my big sister was "one of them". Also, in 8th grade, Tim Duffy & I got up early every morning to serve 6:00 (6:30??) mass at the convent then trudge the 12 (I think) blocks home for breakfast then walk back to school.
I also had the great job of being on the puke squad. When one of the little kids vomited, Rich Fiori & I were called from class, went to the janitor's closet & got our gear. All the little guys would be lined up in the hallway, looking at us like heros. One of us would lead the way issuing copious sprays of disinfectant from the flit gun. We'd then sprinkle sawdust on the mess and sweep it up.
Eastburntoo- you may have watched that performance though you may have been a little too old to catch our act. Our normal customers were 1st graders. You would have been in 5th grade.
We always managed to stretch the job out to at least an hour away from class.

Eastburntoo

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gads, all the good stuff. I remember the Puke squad,etc. Those were the days when we all learned everyone was valuable and deserved to be helped when needed. And first graders were just scared little beings that needed help. I used to get the biggest kick out of walking down the hall and hearing an entire 1st grade class respond at once with "GOOD MOOOOORRRRNNNNIIIINNNNG SISTER!"

I loved that school, maybe that's why my 1-8 grade life passed so fast.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still love that school and that church! We are so blessed that it continues to thrive and be there for us -
I remember being part of that "good morning" class, except it came out "Good Mooooooorrrrnnnninnnng 'Ster!" :-)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Serving mass in the convent was an interesting time. The first time I was scheduled to serve the other altar boy never showed up. After a brief review of what to do by Sr. Paul Therese (the altar boy trainer) it was time to for business. Nervously, I opened the convent chapel doors. All I could see were the black head dress of 30 or so nuns. Their heads were cast down in fervent prayer. My hands were shaking trying to light the candles. I felt like "all eyes were on me". Fr. Morris (a visiting priest from ND) said Mass and made things go pretty smoothly. Luckily I only live a couple of blocks from the convent so the 6:30 time wasn't too bad.

Eastburn: Was Frank the janitor during your stint on the "puke patrol"?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad: Where was the chapel in the convent? The "Convent" is now the Parish Center where we have fellowship Sunday with donuts, etc., where St. Jude has an active "Pantry" to help supply the needs of the less fortunate and where some Parish meetings are held. It still seems strange to me to be sitting in the Nun's dining hall!

Jcole

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank Batalino was the janitor forever. He lived the second house off the corner on Maddelein and Redmond next to Roche's. I went to St. Jude's from 62-70 and I had 4 older sisters and brothers, and he was there for all of them, too. I lived about 5 houses down from him. He had the newest house on the block. Does anyone remember the choirmaster, George, and his asst. Jasper, who lived accross the street from the church on the corner of Redmond and 7 Mile?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 262
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campfire_girl: The chapel was located in front of the convent on the right side (east side) as you walk in. There were pews that faced the center isle. The altar was on an elevated platform on the far east wall. Later, during the 80s the convent chapel became the parish office. Even during the 80s the convent had an entirely different feel than the 50s or 60s. 32 nuns occupied the convent during its "heyday". I recall the nuns made a stipend of $100 per month and relied on pantry drives for food. One station wagon served the entire convent and I understand only 6 nuns had a license to drive. Yes they did take the vow of poverty, along with obedience and chastity...what dedicated lives to the church!! During the 80s, my father organized a volunteer free tax service using the convent (parish office) as its site. The nuns that were servicing St. Jude at the time lived off the St Jude campus. It is interesting to note the rapidity of change in the St. Jude community (and other parishes) during the 70s from an almost entirely religious staff of 30 Dominican sisters to almost none. It was truly a special time to have such devoted religious as teachers.
$40 per year per family tuition, $5 book rental. It almost seems surreal when telling the story now.

Jcole: The choirmaster was George Schaffer. The St. Jude's mens choir at the 10:30 Mass was quite an experience. The procession down the main church isle in cassock and surplice and up to the choir loft while chanting/singing was really remarkable.

Jcole

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad was a choir member (tenor)for a very long time, and my Mom helped sew all the surplices as one of the Altar Society ladies. We went to that mass 'religiously'.(Bad pun intended)
Do you remember the yearly Bazaar with the booths where you could lay down a quarter bet on the numberline and they would then spin the wheel and someone would win a prize(stuffed animal, book, etc) and the duck pond for the little kids with plastic duckies with numbers on the bottom? The big prize for the raffle at the end of the day was always a "Wheelbarrow of Cheer"- a wheelbarrow full of bottles of booze!!
That was the Altar Society fundraiser of the year. Most of their operating costs came from that. We looked forward to that and saved our quarters for a year.
Also, does anyone remember Danny the popsicle man who used to park his pushcart on the corner of Maddelein and Rex and sell his wares at lunch time? Popsicles were the flat arch type and came two in a white paper wrapper. He would sell the whole pack for a dime or you could split one for a nickel. He had Bubblegum, Grape, something blue and Seven-up. I've never been able to find a popsicle to compare to that Bubblegum pop in all the rest of my life.

Jcole

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandpa Mike, did your cousin Ms. Wozniak teach 5th grade at St. Jude's? Was she a redhead married to a fireman? I had a teacher with the same, or very similar, name who was one of the best teachers I ever had.

Eastburn

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad- Frank rings a bell. Rich & I were "independent contractors" who worked without supervision. That's why we were able to milk the job for so much time away from class.
Jcole- Was the Danny you're talking about a little old Italian guy? We had a Danny with an ice cream pushcart working our neighborhood. Always liked him better than the Good Humor man (lots of turnover).

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for what its worth...I remember Danny as an icon with the "bubble gum" and "sky blue".......good for him...all they were were frozen pop (soda)...and Frank the janitor.........another icon.........him knocking on the door of room 123 on November 22, 1963 and telling Sr. Frances Marie that President Kennedy was dead.......the world changed.....

(Message edited by 7_and_kelly_kid on March 29, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I think he was a little old Italian guy. I know he was short and older.
I remember 11/22/63 very well also. I was in 2nd grade in Sr. Angus room, and there was a PA announcement that said the President and Governor of Texas had been shot. I remember thinking that I didn't know there was a President of Texas.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 263
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bazaar was one of the most cherished memories of St. Jude. It almost seems like yesterday not the early 60s when my brother, sister and I pleaded with my dad on a lazy Sunday afternoon to take us to the gym. As you walked in you could smell the popcorn, hear the announcing of winners and promoting events over the 2 big speakers hanging over the stage, hear the spin of the wheel, the chatter in the kitchen, and the laughter of little kids running around deciding where to go next. The hotdogs, 50/50 raffle, what fond memories. Later in the 70s 80s the carnival became the big event either on the St. Jude playfield or on the "blacktop" (parking lot across the church). I recall Paul Avery was instrumental in running the carnival. Is Paul still active in the St. Jude community?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: We all remember where we were and what we were doing when Kennedy was shot. Sr. Leonita came over the PA crying. Sr. Robert Marie (room 112) rushed out of the room to confer with Sr. Leonita. Later Sr. Robert Marie led us in prayer A few minutes later when JFK's death was reported St. Jude school was let out early. 1600 kids made that early trip home on 11-22-63. My mom was kneeling by the chair next to the TV, rosary in hand, sobbing. A day never to be forgotten.