Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through March 28, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first boy I dated was from Denby, Jim Wirth, class of 1969 when I went to Cass Tech. Is there anyone in this site from that time period? I also knew Donna Wasson and Greg Fasson (sp) who went to school from 1966-69. I learned how to drive from a crusty women hating man during the summer of 67--before I became 16...outsmarted the old goat, cuz my father was teaching me how to drive around Belle Isle and on the service streets....I remember that driver's teacher making one girl cry because of his costic behavior, but not me...so here it is some 40 years later, and as a woman driver, a former Navy vet and only one accident (on top of a mountain in Oregon)...I have done fine...one funny note was the guys reconnecting the radios in the cars when we went round the test circle...the teacher was irate, but oh well, it made me laugh then and does now.....

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well ...we must of all got extra practice around Belle Isle..when I was learning my dad took me there and after a few times around the Island we headed home down Jefferson...problem was it was rush hour and by the time my dad and I got hom ehe was white knuckled and told my mom he was through...when my little sister came up, I had to take her out...and it was my turn to get white knuckled...

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda: Did Jim Wirth by any chance have an older sister named Penny. I dated a Penny Wirth at Denby in the late 50's.

Gib: I never got driving practice at Belle Isle...but it was a great place for other kinds of practice!

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda: be careful.....GB never dated anyone until his senior year and he took a SE girl to a Luther League afternoon dance....Penny Wirth was a total FOX at Denby and would have nothing to do with a crease ball and oddball (Asperger Spectrum) comes to mind who still has various unacceptable ticks.....

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6181
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody has ticks at Cass Tech. WTF!
jjaba, Class of '59.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J - Only the students who lived on the westside and who were lucky enough to attend that GREAT EASTSIDE HS - Cass Tech came to Cass with some aspect of being on the spectrum.....Right! and not WTF!

Goblue

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda: If you're still on the thread you can see that ES61 doesn't always play with a full deck...his Haight-Ashbury days musta been somethin'.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be fooled....Penny Wirth never gave GB a second look.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrong......PW and I were a hot number for awhile...it was during the time that ES was trying to learn to color within the lines...ES is correct about one thing...she was a total fox!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all TARS of the late 50's era..... I have received a call from the Prescott Memorial Hospital and I need to let you all know that GB has finally check himself into the psych ward on the first floor....It is called One South for those in the area who want to visit GB....he continues to recover from hallucinations about dating PW, SR, SJ and both of the Kroenig sisters along with Renee M. who lived on Mapleridge....Pray for him!

Goblue

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You left out Sheila F...she visited the WMU campus often...complaining about the small sizes of men on the Greenie campus.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all TARS: GB has checked himself out of the psych ward and continues to mumble and drool when trying to speak....How sad!
He is scheduled to be part of the A & E intervention TV show in May.

Goblue

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank God I was able to convince Sheila that she didn't need a magnifying glass for all TAR's...she had a great time on the WMU campus...loved the '56 Ford.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Just talked to PWirth.....she cannot seem to place you......She wondered If you drove a purple Kaiser???? and Larry King type suspenders???? Maybe you could post a pic......

Goblue

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yeah...riiiight!! In your dreams! PW was before the '56...but I guarantee that she would remember!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Dream on brother...... I want to clean off my desktop and need to put away the SJ info .... I could shred it for you

Goblue

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I keep coughing and sneezing......but my head is still clear....well kinda! SJ info has been buried in the paddock

Goblue

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why am I quite certain that, if indeed it exists, it will be resurrected in due time. I put nothing past the CSI gang!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I can't wait until the outcome of the LA - CSI meeting in June...I hope they will take the top 10 questions / info that we can formulate and send to them prior to June.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU in the Sweet Sixteen...U-M top seeded for NCAA Hockey...about as good as it gets!

Jjaba

Post Number: 6222
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must be an Eastside thing. Where's Michigan colleges in opera, violin, cello, or jazz?
Eastsiders make us look like Ohio for crissakes.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Stay on the Dexter bus a little while longer....... then you will come to realize that the Eastside is the home of EVERYTHING with class.....

ES 61..... Proudly, Eastside.

Goblue

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now Jjaba....ES plays a mean blue grass fiddle...don't that count?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J - GB: lead vocals for me..... "I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water an Sleep in a Hollow Log" (Lou Rawls) - "Born In Chicago" (Muddy Waters) and ":A Boy 12" (Buddy Guy) are on my newest CD....NO FIDDLES..and what is on your CD Jjaba??? Respighi and Arnold Bax?

Jjaba

Post Number: 6226
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now jjaba is enjoying a nice collection of Turkish songs on his boombox.

Perhaps when jjaba does his Eastside tour, Eastside61 will play fiddle for jjaba. jjaba's father played fiddle for the Czar and brought the instrument to America, 1913. He loves all kindz fiddles.

jjaba, on the multi-cultural Westside.

Goblue

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Interesting story...do you still have your dad's violin?

Jjaba

Post Number: 6227
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba's cousin wanted a better violin. So they traded it in on a better one and the family fiddle went poof. jjaba's father should have kept it but let his brother keep it for "safekeeping". Result, he sold it.

jjaba, sad but true story.

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember if Jim Wirth had an older sister--too many years. I just remember him having a white beetle bug. He was friends with Donna Wasson who introduced us--mistake, lol...I believe I heard many years later he married a lady and lives in Grosse Pointe...yet, my best and funniest memories of Denby were the driver training months during the summer...and of course, my rides around Belle Isle...I didn't make my father nervous and was proud that I pleased him and proud of myself of what I accomplished at that time...all in all, with what has happen to Detroit and Michigan now, we still have our memories.

Goblue

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda: Thanks for your thoughts...I remember the driver training course too...but my older sister had taught me to drive a stick shift when I was twelve so the TAR course was a piece of cake. SE59 and I spent a lot of time at Belle Isle...skating, canoeing, driving...and...well, we'll leave that part out! lol. The last time I was there was in the mid-90's for a Grand Prix race...I was living in Kalamazoo at the time.

You are correct...whatever has happened to Detroit and Michigan we have some really great memories of the Eastside...even Jjaba as an honorary Eastsider since he attended that great Eastside high school, Cass Tech. ES61 and I keep bouncing thoughts, etc. (on the days he sobers up) to keep the thread at the top in the hopes that others will share some memories. What other great experiences did you have as a TAR?

Jjaba: The loss of your dad's violin is tragic! It would be so great if you could hold it knowing its history.