Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through March 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR........GB and eastside seem to have taken over heilman ect.....

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 KK - Sorry old buddy......GB is a bad influence and I will only represent 15847 Eastwood......remember he lived on Fordham....one of those other streets. Eastwood was my home until we moved to Mapleridge at the beginning of 8th grade for me at Columbus.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Sorry...I've tried to keep ES on track but his earlier days at Haight-Ashbury caused irreparable damage.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They done did it again!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 215
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To quote one of the most influential figures of the 20th century.....Rodney King.."Can't we all get along?" (LoL) Anyway, 7K glad you started the Eastwood thread. Hopefully, those who lived on Eastwood and the nearby neighborhood will offer their remembrances and commentaries. And Yes I will try my best to stick with the topic. Peace out...more later

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what happened to the following EASTWOOD families:
Readers - Whitworths - Ryans - Whitakers????? They all lived between Rex and Redmond

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4046
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother grew up at two houses on Eastwood: 15000 and 15411. I actually lived at 15411, too, for the first two years of my life.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: To the best on my recollection:
Readers moved in late 60's to St. Clair Shores. Charlie passed away in the 70s (ashes put in Lake St. Clair...He loved to sail)..wife Louise may still be in SCS.. Ryans...super nice people. one of the nicest customers on my paper route. don't know what happened to them. Whitakers: Sadly Mr. Whitaker succumbed to complications of ALS in the 70s, Kempe became a police officer. What was the name of Kempe's older sister? Anyway the Whitakers were a very nice family. ES, do you recall that the Elm tree in front of or near the Whitaker's had a neat trunk that provided a seat when watching leaves burning or resting from tossing the football around? The name Whitworth sounds familiar but don't know exactly what house they lived in. Guess it's time to search for my old route book to identify names and houses. Of course the names you mentioned were closer to Rex. My big adventure as a young one was being able to ride my bike down as far as the Whitakers. Later when the boundary was extended to the green mailbox on the corner of Rex and Eastwood (for some serious climbing..even without a boost)a whole new world seemingly was opened. It was 7K however that prompted me to explore a whole new world via the alleys..especially collecting empty bottles and trading them in for 2cent snaps at George's Party store. Life was one great adventure on Eastwood Ave in the late 50s and 60s

Kellyroad

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13: Welcome to the thread. It seems the houses you mentioned were closer to Morang or Hayes. I might have even delivered the News to one of those houses. Where did you or your mom attend grade school?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3595
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you guys signed up at the Detroit Yahoo group? You might find a wider audience than the same eight posters here.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 83
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR..I think it's Marie Reader.........I wonder if that green post office storage box is still there........hey! and whatever I introduced you to Vigneau showed me first...it was the order of things.......Rick, Don, Me, You...............and I'm still addicted to snaps.I'm eatin' em while I peruse these readings!.........still 2 cents ( times about a hundred) I can only find them at Walgreens though.....still good.the pink ones are the best..their still probably the same batch made up in 1964..............they never get old..........the all purpose foodstuff..........Eat em or use Em as a building material!.........more later.......dave

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mom grew up on eastwood, granny moved away in 1990

Steve
Username: Steve

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take note that there is an Eastwood in Oak Park, a few blocks east of Coolidge, between 9 Mile Road and Oak Park Blvd.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are also Eastwoods in Harperwoods and Eastpointe. The Eastwood in this Detroit discussion is nestled on Detroit's far eastside. Thanks for the info.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mom was from detroit eastwood, dad was from harper woods eastwood

Tokennojokin
Username: Tokennojokin

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lived on the corner of saratoga and maquarie

Kellyroad

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Your're right it is Marie Reader

Kellyroad

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastwood memory: looking west toward Rex 1965 snow storm

Kellyroad

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking east toward Redmond, Taken during the 1965 snow storm..Notice most of the elm trees were still there. Yes, those were the ruts...We would even help push police cars that got stuck int the Eastwood/Redmond intersection.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More nostalgia of Eastwood (and a larger picture)lookin west toward Rex during the 65 storm. looking toward ES61's home...still many elms left

More later

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great stuff KR......must be Louie, Larry, and Lori in the one pic........Funny thing.I was thinking about that "65 storm just last nite for some reason....I don't think I've seen one that big since.........February if I recall.....first and only snow days off of school I've ever had.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 224
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K, I agree. It was the first and only time (at least during grade school or high school) that school was actually closed. Of course back at St. Jude most of the teachers lived only 100 ft from school (the convent) and most of the students walked to school. It took a pretty good blast to shut things down. I wonder if any of our more distinguished (cough) contributors to the far east side threads could comment perhaps on and earlier era where Detroit schools shut down due to snow.
I do remember being able to make a few extra dollars shoveling snow. $0.50-$1 per walk and driveway was about the going rate. I think the price on Eastwood went up during that snow storm to about $1.50. It was hard work. No snowblowers and the drive ways seemed to go on for miles.

(Message edited by kellyroad on March 05, 2008)

Fury13

Post Number: 4047
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad, to answer your earlier inquiry: I believe that my mom went to grade school at Columbus; high school at Denby. My grandparents got the house at 15000 (that was an ancient frame house, west of Hayes on the corner of Queen... it's gone now, torched a few years back) around 1936 and then moved just down the street, east of Hayes, to 15411 (near Brock) in 1944. They lived there until 1961.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13: I probably delivered the Detroit News to at least one of those houses (late 60s). The house on Eastwood/Queen was little bit different than the rest of the homes on the street...bigger. Do you recall the Kerwins or Sales that lived on Eastwood near Brock in the 50s-70s?

Fury13

Post Number: 4050
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have to ask my mom about those names; she might know them.

No, actually the house at 15000 Eastwood (SE corner of Eastwood and Queen) was pretty small. It was of frame construction, with white wood siding... kind of what they used to call a "shotgun house." No basement, just a root cellar. It was probably built around 1900-1910.

Bill_rush
Username: Bill_rush

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny- When I first saw the name "Eastwood" I thought it was about Eastwood Park at Gratiot and 8 Mile. I guess I'm just too old. But with many fond memories of the park, pool and dance pavillion with all the great big bands- Kenton, Herman. Dorsey, Goodman all of them.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill_rush
Too old? Well, misery seeks companionship.
What a small world we live in.
Eastwood Park! 1945. A rainy night. Tommy Dorsey Orchestra. The Eastwood Gardens Dance Pavilion.
My Peggy and I were 16 years old. Because of the rain there were only a few couples in that open air dreamland.
I cannot recall the name of Dorsey's male vocalist at that time, but his voice cracked that night and Dorsey gave him a very dirty look.
I recall the swimming pool fee was 50 cents!
The Dodgem cars were a dime a ride.
If you were born before Nov. 13, 1928, it will make me feel like a kid again.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Eastwood, when was the Eastwood Theater on the westside of Gratiot north of 8 Mile torn down, and what is in its place now?

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that theater very well in the 80's when I was still working in Detroit. The admission price of one dollar was its greatest attraction.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was not torn down it was converted to a teenager club called wired frog or something like that. Not sure it its still open as a club.