Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through April 03, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi J, Sandy Root couldn't make it to our reunion, but wants to keep in touch with our class. We sure did have those "imaginary" lines. I know ours ended at 7 mile with Kelly and Morang bordering either side. Your house was a lot of fun with the swimming pool in the back! Larry Shaheen is Lori's brother.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, Yes, Mike is Julius' son. There were 5 kids in the family, 3 boys, 2 girls. You would have been in school with one of the girls, Marion or Diane. Mike was the oldest boy, with younger bros Philip and Matthew.

Jcole

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duck, when you played in the Blue Jug game, was it against St. Raymonds? I think it always was. St. Rays is still a going parish over on Joann and State Fair.
Eastburn or Eastburntoo, did you know the Stanton family or the Laney's. They also lived on Eastburn, but further down toward Kelly Rd.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow - my reply was really posted in "time delay" Thanks all for these great stories - and YES - GOD BLESS ST. JUDE! As someone had mentioned, so many of the schools and churches and in area have had to close or move - we sure are fortunate that we not only have our wonderful memories, but also our St. Jude Church and the ability to connect as we have these past couple of weeks! Hopefully, we'll be able to gather together there at some point this year.

Duck
Username: Duck

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I had to go back and edit my first ever post on this blog. When the page was repositioned, all of my punctuation marks turned into silly symbols. It looked as sloppy as Jokerman's handwriting.

Jcole

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campfire, that pool was the best part of my childhood and early teen years.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom Laney was in my class (1958). I believe he married one of our classmates after our 30 year reunion.
2nd time around sort of stuff.

Duck- Do you have a sister named Marcia, Class of '58?

Duck

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad - Thanks for the reply.

Jcole - I think you're right. The Blue Jug Bowl game of 1965 was against St. Raymond's.

Eastburn - My sibs: Carl, Tim (deceased), Dennis, Marcia, Terry (Jokerman) and Michelle. We lived on State Fair between Redmond and Boulder.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say "Hi" to Marcia from Jack (John) H.
I think your brother Dennis was in my sister's class - 1954.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

duck..........Rick Pesta?....Dave Van De Wyngearde here...I was always afraid of you!...oh oh .this blog is bringing a lot of old memories back.......but right you are..........GOD BLESS St. Jude....and all of us!...I'm on my way to an A.A. meeting..so I'll be back afterward.........hmmmm

Duck

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 and Kelly Kid... Dave, I'm way surprised. I didn't think anyone was ever afraid of me. I was always a short, skinny, smart ass. Besides, I always thought you were a nice, cool kid.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rick..hmmmm...........I didn't turn "cool".til way after graduating from Denby and going to nursing school.........(72 women thought I was cool and I went with that!)..........I did that for a number of years and then became an Air Traffic Controller at DTW........lots of stress.............lots of Jack Daniels.........hmmm........ha d it all living in GPF.........I too got married in '75.(at St. Jude's!)........but........I envy you and all those who stuck with it...and yea you were a short skinny smart ass.........so...meet me on the blacktop at lunchtime and you can kick my ass!..or better yet.42 years after all of that.....we can all go to mass and walk the 'hood and have a good laugh.......keep me posted.......

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The above picture taken on St. Jude playfield is of Sr. Inocencia, the band teacher in the early 60s. Mr. Henderson was the band director at that time soon to be replaced by Larry Eagan who also headed NDHS's band

Kellyroad

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburntoo: NDHS closed in 05 due mainly to declining enrollment. Regina moved to Warren last fall near where the current DeLasalle HS is located.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 275
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many in the St. Jude community enjoyed Heilmann Park recreation. The above picture is of the pool prior to it being enclosed (circa 65). If you look closely in the picture the life guard on the diving board is instructing the remaining swimmers to keep their hands tucked under their arms. They were part of the elimination games known as pigeon races. The winner was usually determined by who could do the best cannonball dive off the high board. The entire pool and community center that was off Novara was demolished about 2 years ago. A new community center is located near where the ice rink was located.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 and Kelly Kid - A get together after a Sunday Mass sounds like a great idea - I'll talk with Father Robert. (I'll omit the details on the blacktop showdown!) It sure would be nice to gather together again - and maybe make it an "annual" event. I'll wear my "Campfire Girl" nametag.
I remember all the picnics at Heilmann, and especially playing on the big ship - didn't it have a swinging dock to get on the ship?

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Camp fire girl......I don't know about Duck but I'm too old for a showdown!....(he'll win for sure!)........but........never too old for a good laugh on a spring day........and yes it did have a swinging dock.......an adventure in and of itself!........I can smell the insence now.......let's do that!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 and Kelly Kid -
Sounds like a great plan! I'll keep you all posted either here - or via the St. Jude web site! I'm SO looking forward to it!

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

excellent!

Duck

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman, your first principal was Sr. Thomas Annette.

Duck

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K Kid, the only ass kickin' I've been doing is in Scrabulous on Facebook. Which I highly recommend to everyone. Open an account, get the Scrabulous application and challenge me, or any of your other friends, to a game. I'm confident you'll all do well since most of us received an outstanding primary education in English and spelling at St. Jude School.

Oh, Campfire girl, careful that you don't commit any typos when writing about that "big, swinging deck."

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering how many Jets on this forum live out of state. I've been in San Diego, CA, since 1977. My brother Dennis lives here too. Two members of the Keyes family, Leonard and Marilyn also lived in SD. Leonard passed away several years ago. I think Marilyn lives in Nevada now.

In earlier posts, several writers mentioned Mrs. Pierce and her son Dave. I know that Dave lives in San Diego. He used to be active in local politics and I believe in real estate. I ran into him a few years back at a Padre baseball game.

On another note: Several posts mentioned November 22, 1963, the day JFK was assassinated. I was in the 8th grade. The strange thing is that my class had just watched a movie about Abraham Lincoln in the gym/auditorium. Of course, it ended with his assassination. A few minutes after we got back to our class, the announcement came over the intercom that Kennedy had died. Because we were in the gym, we had missed the original announcement about the shooting.

Later that night, my mom took my brother Duck, my little sister Michelle, and me to the Goodfellow Game at Tiger Stadium on the DSR bus. Notre Dame was playing Denby. Of course, we were rooting for Notre Dame. ND lost 7-0. The whole day and night was very surreal.I remember we had macaroni and cheese for dinner since it was Friday.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice forum. Love the pictures and memories shared!
Fond memories of St. Jude's Church and School.
I loved lighting the candles and depositing the coins in the Church (Mary's altar front left, St. Joseph's alter middle right (outside Baptismal font area, and my favorite in the St. Jude's Chapel off the main altar opposite the Sacristy.)

7andkelly

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the Holy Name Society? It was a father and son group. We had some fun events including breakfasts at the Gym. I would love to see the movie they showed in the Gym at one of our parties back in the 60s. It was all about the year 2000, and what things would be like in that seemingly unreachable era. In later years, we took a chartered bus down to Tiger Stadium and Mark (the Bird) Fidrych was pitching, and he got one of those famous curtain calls after a fantastic game. Tragically, that night, one of our HNS officers and the organizer of the event, had a heart attack and died shortly after.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7and Kelly - I've also loved sharing old memories and bringing some new St. Jude news to the group. The Blessed Mother Statue and kneelers are still in place, along with the candles. The long strap is still velcroed to the wall to help push all the crumpled bills that jammed the quarter slot! All this talk about St. Jude has got me excited about our annual "clean-up" Sunday, where we do some trimming, planting, weeding and clean-up around the church proper. It looks wonderful when we're done. Last year we had a great team of outside gardners and we did it all in a steady downpour! Father Robert pitched in along with us, then grilled us some hamburgers and we enjoyed a tired but relaxing meal.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 2260
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cole..didn't see if you got a response but LArry was Lori's brother ... I am their cousin...black sheep of the family went to GA....

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran - sorry about GA..
Yes, I remember Lori, Larry, Louis and there was a younger sister, right? Do both Lori and Louie live in the Mid Michigan area?

Jcole

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran, thanks for the update. i remember Larry really well. I think we we're in class together most of the 8 years. I always thought he was cute. Don't know if he'll remember me, but tell him I say hi if you see him.

(Message edited by jcole on April 03, 2008)

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campfire Girl...............when (and I know where) will this clean-up be?.....and yes the younger sister was Paula...so there

7andkelly

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember when St. Jude's Credit Union used to fund an annual movie day for the kids?

Some of these were in the gym (or church basement).

When Eastland Theatre opened, our group was among the very first. I am trying to remember the movie. It may have been an animation.