Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through April 04, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 514
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was pretty incredible, Joe called me at work and from the tone of his voice when he called I thought "either something bad is happening or this kid just won the lottery.". He was very excited "Mom, oh my God! You aren't going to believe this...I'm at the freaking Tiger game, I am inside the park!". I immediately ask "Where is your father?" and Joe yells "He's at the bar!". I spent the day at work wondering how my husband was going to locate the young men in the masses after a few beers when the game finished. I couldn't help but feel the same way about how good things happen in Detroit all the time but we usually only hear about the bad, God bless Detroit, God bless the Tigers and God bless that awesome stranger who made two young guys very, very happy today.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

0-162. Forget it; it's over. The Tigers were miserable and lost to a miserable team. I agree with The_Rock, we were out everythinged. Why the hell did we invest in more offense, when what we needed was pitching. Oh yea, I forgot, we did get that guy whose brief pitching career was over two years ago. Nice job Dumbrowski!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7454
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll assume the sarcasm meter was going off full bore when Soulhawk wrote that.

To me, it was somewhat of an exciting game. Sure we lost to the Royals who were the cellar dwellers last year but on any given day, any team can beat you- that's a given in major league sports. I thought Detroit was in the entire game as was KC. It was solid competition all around. Both teams must've been jacked to start the season. Let's have this conversation four months from now and we can see where each team has leveled off at. It's one game in a very long long season.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7455
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quick question regarding the first inning to all forum folk who saw the ball game...

Did Cabrera deserve the error on that throw or should it have been Guillen's error? I understand it wasn't a perfect toss but I thought Carlos should've snagged it out of the dirt and hung onto it negating the E5 on the scorecard.

Your thoughts?

Soulhawk

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It should have gone to Guillen. Which brings me to another point, Guillen was terrible on first base. Why did he field that bunt that was on it's way to foul territory? The runner advanced; we lost. Guillen two errors on the day.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cabrera and Guillen really shared the error, the throw wasn't perfect nor in the dirt, but Guillen was inexplicably blocking the first base line with his right leg, when he caught the ball and got tangled up with the baserunner. Luckily neither was hurt on the play.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7458
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Technically I guess BOTH players shared in the error but if I had to score it, it would've been Carlos Guillen's all the way. I know that Cabrera's fielding has always been brought into question (especially in light of a gold glove guy like Inge who played the position last year) but in this incident I wouldn't have given him the ziggy on the scoresheet. Guillen just looked out of position and awkward trying to snag the ball and like you said, Flanders- we're thankful he didn't get a charley horse or some other quirky injury off of it.

As far as Guillen fielding the bunt- having played some ball, I can honestly say sometimes the adrenaline to get a player out can overtake rationale sense. He could've also seen that the ball was spinning a certain direction and a few more spins and it could've gone into fair even more. I'd like to defer to his view and assessment of that situation before giving him an error. The other way of looking at it is that KC had a great sacrifice on that too.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 612
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too thought the E belonged to Guillen.

Watching the play, Guillen's error could have cost him part of the season had he gotten hurt.

Very awkward and I didn't think it was a particularly difficult play for a first baseman.

Guillen made Casey look like a ballerina at 1B.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was a pretty good game. We didn't look just right, and we got beat, but a pretty good game to watch.

Just that quick, after my earlier proclamation (above,) Edgar Renteria scuffles out there in a jersey three sizes too big and DISPROVES LITERALLY EVERYTHING I SAID ABOUT HIM.

I enjoyed the way Denny Bautista totally burned through Jose Guillen.

That Cabrera HR showed me something that probably explains a lot about why he is so dangerous at the plate. That guy has big, heavy legs. He lifts his front foot a bit, then plants his weight firmly, and he used a stance and a swing which both were very compact and controlled. He hit that HR with his legs, is what I'm really saying. It may not look as elegant and majestic as some guys' swings, but that swing is going to cause great torment for AL pitchers not lucky enough to play for the Tigers.

Screw that error; means nothing. But seriously, Cabrera-- so balanced at the plate-- was still moving forward, and off-balance, when he made that throw to Guillen, but it looked to me as though Guillen should have been able to field it cleanly anyway, even though it was lower than it should have been. I would argue that both players actually deserve an E on that play, but if I have to assign the E to only one guy, I would put it on Guillen. Carlos just looked all backasswards on that play, to begin with, and if he's going to keep his legs all mis-positioned like that, he'll be a total fuckin' cripple by Mothers' Day, and we'll be asking Brandon Inge to play 1B for us.

Soulhawk

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will retract the zero win season statement, but in all honesty, I can't see this team making the playoffs. Kenny looked ok, but our super powered bats were dead. And, of course, the bull pen gave up two.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 593
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dude....game 2...GAME 2! Colder weather, no established men in the bullpen...I'll start to worry after game 10. Lets see what Bonderman does tomorrow

Flanders_field

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This game 2 was "offensive" to watch, were it not for Rent's 3 hits, the Tigers vaunted offense would have been no-hit.

19 Ks in 2 games, half of the players have 3Ks each, and a .191 team BA that is as cold as the weather. Polanco 0 fer 10...someone should find his 2006 playoff hoodie!!

29 batters for the Tigers for today's game, as opposed to the 30 Brewers batters that JV faced when he pitched his no-no last year.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep the faith. The Titanic started out in an ominous way too, steaming out of harbor on her maiden voyage, and nearly colliding with another passenger liner. But look how she turned out. Two glorious days at sea.
Come to think of it, never mind.
Lots of games left.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 851
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a long season, 160 games left. Remember the Yankees lost their first 6 games a few years ago and finished with well over 100 wins.
They start the season too early anyways. How anyone can play ball in cold weather is amazing.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both Verlander and Rogers tired after 5 solid innings. It did seem to me that the Tigers starters, except maybe Robertson, weren't stretched out the last 2 weeks of spring training the way other teams were.

According to USA Today today, Tigers (137M) are 2nd in payroll to the Yanks. Big change in two years.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 613
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"I too thought the E belonged to Guillen.

Watching the play, Guillen's error could have cost him part of the season had he gotten hurt.

Very awkward and I didn't think it was a particularly difficult play for a first baseman.

Guillen made Casey look like a ballerina at 1B."

Could have added that was the way I played 1B in softball. :-)

Smogboy

Post Number: 7470
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No sweat Emu_steve. I've played 3B in softball and believe me, not all of my tosses across the diamond have been gems either, but reflecting back, the toss from Cabrera wasn't that bad to the point where Guillen should've pulled it out.

(from one who's been grateful to all of the people who've played 1B with me and salvaged some of my errant tosses)

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 886
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, is it too early to jump off the wagon? They're looking terrible today but not as bad as yesterday. When's the last time KC swept us?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5946
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...

401don

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cabrera pulled a muscle and is scratched. We should re-sign Juan Gon.
Good thing Inge is available to fill in everywhere. I feel better losing with him in the line-up.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4316
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not exactly what I thought would happen, we do have 159 more games to go, but still, this is bad.

401don

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

137 Million just don't go as far as used to.

Okay, that's it. No more sarcastic comments. 3 games will be our longest losing streak all season. Go Tigers!

Flanders_field

Post Number: 252
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We looked like a dead club," Jim Leyland said after the game. "We looked like an old club. And we looked like we're not prepared. ... It's the manager's responsibility to have the club prepared, and we don't look like it."

Worst record in MLB, with the Cubs' win this afternoon, Jimbo...Yikes!

Flanders_field

Post Number: 253
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even MORE "good news"

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080403/SPORTS0 2/80403063/1048/SPORTS

401don

Post Number: 349
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rod Allen commented after the play how dangerous it was for Sheffield to be sliding in head first after just recovering from a shoulder injury. He bit his tongue though and didn't comment how extremely dumb it was to try to stretch a single into a double down 3 runs in the 8th inning.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Genesyxx asks, "when's the last time KC swept us?"

I think it was at the end of 2006, when we were trying to win the division title, and all we had to do was win one game, on our own field, against the Royals.

I'm kinda sorry that Genesyxx asked.

I would point out that while the Royals are not a great team, Meche & Bannister are rather good pitchers (in the hope of partially excusing the Tigers' miserable performance.) Then Zack Greinke took HIS belt to us, too.

The Sheffield injury is upsetting, and I can't help thinking about my earlier prediction regarding Brandon Inge subbing for one person, or another, all season long on the way to starting 150 games and amassing 500 at-bats. As it is, Granderson has not even returned, and already Inge is needed to play in Cabrera's spot. (Or is that Brandon playing in his own spot? Whatever.) Realistically, returning to our lineup as the DH might help Cabrera ease that quad muscle back into shape. So, if Sheffield needs some time, we can cover the DH position easily. (Thames & Raburn, also, will cheerfully accept any opportunities offered.) In the meantime, Inge can play 3B, and Thomas can cover in CF (as long as he is up to the task.)

The versatility of both Inge & Raburn is already a big help.

I know that Nate Robertson is not likely to, suddenly, mutate into a Cy Young Award candidate, but I'm feeling a moderately strong intuition that he is going to have a very good year. After what we just saw versus KC, Nate's start, tomorrow against Chicago, would be a nice time to begin...

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4325
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Tigs will catch fire and beat the snot out of the Sox! My prediction!

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 606
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So um...there is a certain DH on the market...probably for cheaper than usual...if sheff is out for a significant amount of time...

I'm just saying...ya know?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5974
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheff is fine, he just has to wear a splint.