Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through April 04, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 213
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What cross street at Gratiot was the Eastwood Theater located? When I was back in Detroit visiting last summer I tried to make out the location but didn't see any large building that looked like a former theater.

What is the status on the closed Shores Theater on Mack and Nine Mile? I remember when it was called the Shores Madrid in the 60s.

What year did the Punch & Judy close in Grosse Pointe? What was the theater on Jefferson near Alter Road called, the Esquire? Closed around 1985?

Bill_rush
Username: Bill_rush

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom- When it rained they usually put the band in a small spot covered on the NW corner of the area and you really could get close to them. TD's male vocalist if not Sinatra might have been Bob Eberle or Jack Leonard. Were Buddy Rich and Ziggy Elman still with him?
My BD- 03/05/1928
Did you go to Denby?

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

seven --kelly...I had cousins named Louie, LArry and Lori...they went to St.Judes? is that who you talking about?

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

probably........they lived on the corner of Eastwood and Redmond....right across the street from me.

Gibran

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they had five; Lori and Larry oldest..Louie about 48 and two younger sisters (Paula and Judy)...great kids...excuse me people...spent some great times at their house...family gatherings ect...

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran: My brother still keeps a friendship with Louie who is a dentist practicing in Mount Morris near Flint. We lived two houses down from them... a great family. Our paths may have even crossed 40 years or so ago.

Gibran

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep...small world...if you guys were around when he was a kid (we are the same age)..I must have met you...specially when there was a huge gathering over there...I remember meeting th e neighbor kids...that was a great little neighborhood...had the best of many worlds..aldo's near there etc..and the Kelly strip....baseball fields close by...we lived closer towards Denby near all the other relatives :-)...

Kellyroad

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran: If my memory serves me correctly there were cousins who visited Louie et al. One name that come to mind were the Sas***s, Dominic as one of them.??? Anyway, you are right. Eastwood avenue near Kelly was in an ideal place...Near the Kelly and Morang strips, St. Jude and Heilmann were just seconds away. The corner of Eastwood and Redmond was kind of the "hub" of the neighborhood..Redmond served as a short cut through street off Kelly going to 7 Mi. Eastwood just happened to have a lot of kids....very typical of many northeast Detroit neighborhoods in the 60s

Gibran

Post Number: 2097
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that was them...or us...this site is so amazing..I have found that the eastside was a place where our common values and experiences still linger for over forty years...and at times are so fresh....I remember ice skating at Heilmann's, being on the tennis team in the summers....getting the courage to dive off the high dive...better pool then at Denby....the playground when we were younger...wasn't there a ice cream place on the other side of Heilmanns across from Franks Nursery?..later a corner store...it was funny ....the seven mile corridor towards Gratiot...was so different than the Kelly road/harper road area...did you read the book on your area written a few years back...was so much different than the 60-70 time frame but yet ...similar...I was glad to hear that St. Judes was still going strong...for GA and ST Brendans closed ...which was so strange..I remember when ST Julia's shut down..and what a strange feeling that was...we used to roam from my friends homes near city airport all the way to eight miles an dhayes...the Denby Boundaries...

thanks for identifying my cousins in the pictures....sad how we have let years pass...I really appreciate this site..

Lowell has done so much for so many..

Kellyroad

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Clemen's book "Made in Detroit" did depict the north east side with a little more social and political commentary in a little later era than what is written in the eastside threads. It is a great read.

It is interesting to note how the east side threads have take 40 to 50 years and made it seem like yesterday. I hadn't been in contact with 7 and Kelly Kid (my childhood buddy right across the street)for almost 35 years until a chance search by 7K brought him to an eastside thread. We were on the phone for 4 hours reminiscing about things that seemed only a year ago not 40.

I do appreciate Lowell's discuss detroit forum on many levels

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

allright KR......we're going to hook up soon and walk the 'hood together........we'll drive the current residents crazy!......DJV

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - 7K: when you take your neighborhood walk......take a pic of 15847.......and post it here on the EASTWOOD thread....have fun!
I read the Made in Detroit book and it was a different neighborhood than I remember from the 50-60's -

Eastwood was a cool place......

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone know the iaquintas?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku: The Iaquintas sound really familiar. Where was the home located? My brother, another nostalgia trivia buff, may have to be inquired on this one.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 242
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The 15847 picture was on the agenda months ago. Thinking about a before and now theme. More photos to come.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so..........mike........when and where?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K, How about late April, May? I know my brother would also take part in a memory lane jaunt also. I'll bring a curb ball, football, and camera. If more Eastwood and/or Saratoga group could join us perhaps we could have a touch football game. Remember Mrs. Iola's grass is out of bounds. Anyway, I have your number, you have mine, let's wait for the weather to break and give it a go

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't know exactly where the house was but i'll ask my mom. renee,cindy,ross,sherry were the kids.

she also remembered a neighbor mr bass "get off my grass"

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Ryan sure knew his Tigers. Too bad his sight went bad.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 K - Do you mean Joe Ryan?.....is so they were the first family on Eastwood that I remember getting a TV....12" Muntz.....b/W and we all huddled around it in his living room....

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

o o....who be 7andkelly?

7andkelly

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might just be Joe Ryan. It kind of rings a bell. I knew him as Mr. Ryan. In those days, it was always Mr. or Mrs. Mr. Ryan had a great memory and appreciation for the Tigers of the 40s and earlier. He critiqued the then current manager's decisions as he listened to Ernie Harwell and Ray Lane on WJR.

7andkelly

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the bakery at 7 and Kelly?

I got a free sugar cookie every time I walked in.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jason's pastry shop right next door to the butcher shop and the gift shop on the corner.........plus George's party time and J/B barber shop around the corner.....

Kellyroad

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Detroit News route book Mr. Ryan took both the daily and Sunday. Customers (the Carters not Canter) took the daily only)

ES61: Do you happen to recall if your family sold their home to the Carters?

7andkelly, 7_and_Kelly_Kid, ES61, Mr. Ryan (I think his name was Joe) one of the nicest customers on the route..would love to chat, especially about the Tigers (of course in 68 everyone talked about the Tigers)

Eastside61

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TO all!! joe Ryan and his wife edith.... and they raised two nephews who were from Oklahoma....wayne and jimmy......

The house two down from the Ryan's towards Rex lived a guy who thought that my father was a jew.....what a dork.....although my father was a school administrator for years in the jewish community over on the westside for years and then when that neighborhood changed he was the principal at the Angell Elementary School which was all black and was located on 12th and Clairmont.....about a block from the 67 blind pig that was raided that started the RIOT.... have some great stories of how my father used to put that dick head on who lived two homes from the Ryan's.....More Eastwood memories to come...

7andkelly

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George's Party Time, aka "The Beer Store". You could enter in from the front or from the alley.
A pack of 10 Topps baseball cards for a dime.
I remember when Hershey bars (the good kind, larger, with squares instead of rectangles to break off) went from nickle to a dime. I think I boycotted them for a couple of days, but then I caved. And Bazooka Joe bubble gum for a penny. I used to save the comic wrappers and send them in for prizes: Camera, ball-point pen, ball and strike indicater, and believe it or not, a pocket knife.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a Renee Iaquinto from St. Judes. She must have been there 62-70. I wasn't an Eastwood kid, but I did play with them at St. Judes. I grew up on Maddelein, but I know the Sawicki's and the Laney's from Eastwood, so is it okay if I lurk, and occasionally add my two cents worth?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: Lurking is allowed only if you were permitted to cross 7 Mile on your bike after stopping, listening, and looking both ways before you crossed.LOL

I believe the Sawickis (not sure about the Laneys) were on EastBURN not Eastwood.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, you're right, my brain took a break.
Yes, I was allowed to cross 7 mile on my bike. I had to, to get to the credit union and the blacktop.