Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through April 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4556
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, I was at two of those three games at the end of the '06 season, and that was so frustrating because of what was on the line. This is a similar feeling, but at least very little is on the line at this point.

At least it's the hitting and not the pitching that's failed us, because we know what the hitting can do. I do think that KC is decent and might get to third place in our division. With our division, it will be hard for either us or Cleveland to get well into the 90-win range, and it makes you think that you'll have to win the division to get to the playoffs, like last year.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miguel Cabrera is the DH for now. Inge at third.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 608
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh....for now...I'm just saying...he's available...

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4558
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jason Grilli is worthless.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe he is still in there.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5986
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UHHHHHHHH GRILLI!

Why is he still around?

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 546
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And yet another Grilli meltdown! How many more times does he have to do that before he gets let go?

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grilli aka THE CHEESEMAN, absolutely should NOT take the mound at CoPa...

EVER!

&*%*$&@!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about Cabrera at third? It was a scary site the 2 games he played. Inge was great at the corner today I'd love to keep him there, put cabrera in right(which he probably wouldn't have) and dh magglio. can sheffield he is too injury prone

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5994
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Eh....for now...I'm just saying...he's available...

I repeat... NO! :-)

Still waiting for the asterix.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 352
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe the Tigers decided to up payroll to 137 million and did nothing to address the pen. Most teams spend on hitters and starters and leave what little is left for the relievers but the Tigers have taken this to the extreme. They knew Zumaya was out right after the season ended. Rodney was injured last year and has had one good season. Cruceta is a journeyman minor leaguer with a "good arm." Burdak was a 34 yr old journeyman. Jones is the oldest closer in the league. Wouldn't the 5.5 million they spent on Jacque Jones have been better spent on a set-up guy? Heck, even the 13 million Pudge is earning might have been better spent on relievers and then sign a couple of veteran catchers to platoon. Once the season starts it's almost impossible to get relief help until the trade deadline and that could be too late. Hopefully this works itself out but I was complaining about the pen two weeks ago and now I'm really depressed.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 592
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just got back from the game, except for Inge and that rookie, (god forgot his name), they are playing like they could care less. I said to a friend before the season started that I think its a bad move to put so much money and star (??) power in like that, they always end up like fat cats,, you need players who are hungry to win to play well, have to have a good mix of good rookies with the big buck guys to get the stars playing right. I really think we have a bad mix,, they got their checks and dont care less it seems

Flanders_field

Post Number: 257
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I propose a new word for the MLB lexicon...The Grilli Cycle: single, double, triple, BB, WP, HBP,HR (GS)

But probably only Grilli could actually complete the cycle, as any other manager would likely yank their RP halfway through it.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders_field

Post Number: 260
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that I figured out what the Tigers team is up to.

The preseason hype has convinced them that they are so good, that they have decided to sandbag it for a while, and spot the rest of the teams in their division at least a 10 game lead...before they start trying to win any games.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on April 05, 2008)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Inge has done well. One double, one HR, 3 RBI, and they're only in the 5th.

D_mcc

Post Number: 613
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys...seriously...we haven't even gotten through the first full week of the season and you guys are jumping ship like we're 10 feet into the water. Its a 162 game season...right? its not like its the NFL and its 17 games... 0-4 can turn into 21-5 REAL fast.

Maybe what everyone around the country said around the country was true, Tigers fans ARE fair weather fans who jump off the bandwagon at the first sign of trouble. Geeze...

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just log on to espn...and checked the Tiger box score...and it appears Willis is hurling a no hitter through 6th innings.

blksoul_atcha!

D_mcc

Post Number: 616
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah...and now he's gone, thats what happens when you walk the first 2 batters in an inning...

Good outing none the less. Zach Miner should try to hold the water now...get out of the inning with the lead intact hopefully

Flanders_field

Post Number: 263
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much for that lead, 5-3 now in the top of the 8th, the 84 Tigers 35-5 start to the season looks to be safe for another year.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 354
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The question is if the 03 Tigers start of 0-9 is safe.

D_mcc

Post Number: 618
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Notice...once again..pitching is fin...its the offense that isn't producing...GET CRUCETA HERE NOW THOUGH...

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4564
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same deal...good starting pitching, relief pitching that lets things slip, and then a total lack of bounce-back ability on the part of our hitters. We did hit some balls hard but right at people in the ninth, but we have to get to work on things in the 7th or 8th instead.

The complexion of that game changed quickly after Willis gave up a hit. Despite the walks, I liked his stuff and his presence.

This is becoming quite unbelievable. This team really shouldn't lose 5 straight at any point in the season.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4119
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And why is that? Why can't they?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4565
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, they can, but they shouldn't. Smart ass.

Anniedawg25
Username: Anniedawg25

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitBill

are you referring to Clete Thompson? He's awesome!
I saw him hit the double in extra innings in the Opener, and he's been doing GREAT ever since...and I agree with you...him and Inge are the best players right now. Polanco has a batting average less than .100.......what the hell???

Anniedawg25
Username: Anniedawg25

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops...I mean Clete Thomas

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 614
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Same deal...good starting pitching, relief pitching that lets things slip, and then a total lack of bounce-back ability on the part of our hitters. We did hit some balls hard but right at people in the ninth, but we have to get to work on things in the 7th or 8th instead.

The complexion of that game changed quickly after Willis gave up a hit. Despite the walks, I liked his stuff and his presence.

This is becoming quite unbelievable. This team really shouldn't lose 5 straight at any point in the season."

While the hitting (and injuries) are perplexing the pitching has not been.

Good starting pitch and a bad 'pen.

Can't say anyone should be surprised.

Maybe some thought we'd win a bunch of 9 - 6 games.

Glimmer of hope :-)

Better to get injuries in April then September.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 615
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, was the Tigs' hitting ice cold last year in April?

I think I remember this kind of problem last year.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4120
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, yeah, that's me... smart-ass. Whatever.

Everyone has had this team penciled in for another World Series...

Well, that was premature, wasn't it? You've got to play the games. It's never looked like more than a third-place team to me, even on paper. Not well balanced at all. Lots of "personalities," which usually never bodes well.

And, right now, they just look plain bad... not like a team that's together.