Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through April 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Julius and his wife moved to a condo in NW Clinton Twp.

I knew Cynthia. Renee was her older sister. They live near or next to the Bass's.

The Bass's had a larger lot adjacent an alley that serviced the Kelly Rd. homes, duplexes I think.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I just looked at a map for Eastwood, and now I know why I was confused about the people you were talking about. I knew the names, but couldn't place them on 'my' side of 7 mile. I was reading Eastburn, but envisioning Eastburn families.
Was there a family named Krupa with a daughter named Sharon that lived in your neighborhood?
I used to hang with kids from that side of Moross. The Moroz girls, the Carey's whose father was on Detroit city council back when it was good. I remember trick or treating over there after we went and emptied our pillow cases from the north side of 7.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR............Thanks for the loyalty on the St. Jude site.........but...........who IS 7/K?........he knows a lot about the 'hood

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 281
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7Kid: Maybe some day 7&K will at least give a hint to where he (I presume a he due to the baseball cards and pocket knife references but assumptions have caused wrong turns) might have lived and during what era. Mean time keep the contributions coming 7&K.

ES61: As a young one on Eastwood, I didn't know what antisemitism meant until much later. The neighborhood, as you know, was heavily Catholic and Protestant. The Jewish religion seemed almost non-existent during that time and region of Detroit. My parents did not promote cultural and racial stereo types. You might say the were more socially and politically intuitive for the time (much like your dad seemed to be). I guess some juicy Eastwood stories for the "Eastside book" are in order.

7andkelly

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember getting their tubes tested at Merit Drugs, Revco or even better, at Olson's Electronics at Gratiot and I think Fordham.

At Olson's, you could actually buy new tubes. They also sold the latest in "solid state" transistor radios, police scanners, walkie-talkies, reel-reel tape recorders, and uhf converters.

Merits had everything. A perfect place to go Christmas shopping for those last minute presents, or just that carton of milk.

7andkelly

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Sinclair gas station on Kelly in HW?

"$3 worth please!" would just about fill the tank. No self serve back then, and you could walk right in under your hoisted up car in the garage too. They gave out "dino" soap and I even had a dino bank.

Those were the days when air was free. Imagine that! I think I blew out a tire on my bike over there. Those compressors were powerful; not like those sissy ones you pay 75 cents for today.

And there was no food for sale there either, except maybe a bottle of coke or a candy bar from a vending machine.

If you wanted food, you went to Chathams or Polla's. Or you got Twin Pines to deliver your milk right to your milk chute. There was a bread truck too. Awreys? And once in a while, a man in a truck shouting: Straaaaawwwwberries, straaawwwwwberries, 4 quarts for a dollar! Later it was 3 quarts for a dollar, and I thought, man, what a ripoff!

Jcole

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Borden's used to deliver milk back then, too. I remember on hot summer days stealing chunks of ice out of the back of the milk truck and sucking on it while it ran down your arms. The Awrey's man used to come in for coffee at our house at least once a week, and bring in a Long John coffee cake to share. His name was Kenny Rassel.
Do you remember the milk chute's next to the side door on most of the bungalow houses? I was the only one small enough to squeeze through when our neighbor lady would forget her keys, and I would get a quarter for unlocking her house.

7andkelly

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: Funny story about you climbing through the milk chute! Occasionally the fuller brush guy, the "blind guy", vacuum cleaner salesmen, and encyclopedia salesmen would also call at our front door.

Jcole

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, I'd forgotten all about the Blind guy. Didn't he sell just odds and ends? And of course, I remember the Fuller brush man. I still like their brushes.
We had a mailman that really hated dogs. We had a poodle that terrified him. the dog knew it, too. He'd chase him down the street, and the mailman would throw bundles of mail at him as he ran. Rebel would sit by the door just waiting, and as soon as he'd see him, he's start barking. We'd try to keep him in, but he managed to sneak out once in a while, and then the games began.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the late 40's early 50's there was a German family across the street who would once in a while fly a German flag.....that was interesting.....since we would play ARMY - but only on our side of the street....

7andkelly

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, the Good Humor Man was my favorite. They used to sell Root Beer popsicles...the very best!
And the Beer Store used to have these Mr. Freezes. It was like a popsicle in a plastic tube, but better than a regular popsicle. The cherry ones were the best.

Jcole

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was the Beer Store the one over on 7 and Crusade? And who remembers picking up the world's best pizza from the back door of Aldo's on Kelly?

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OHMIGAWD! Aldo's Pizza....I'm drooling all over my keyboard!

7andkelly

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm familiar with that one which was across from the SJPF, but the one I'm referring to was near 7 and Kelly in the group of stores on the SW corner closest to the alley servicing Kelly Rd.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aldo's was tops......Just great! Actually Eastside Pizza has been tough to match.....

Kellyroad

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm getting hungry for a Fantasy Bowling Alley Pizza. Too bad the place has been gone for years.
16 lanes and great pizza.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 286
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andKelly: and Merit Drugs had a nice magazine section. I can thank the 7 and Kelly Kid for introducing me to MAD magazine. I learned the fine art of social satire through his magazine collection at his house or on the stand a Merit Drugs.

Do you remember Sinclair gas would also give out Gold Bell or S&H gift stamps?

(Message edited by kellyroad on April 05, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, my mother bowled at Fantasy for many years, and pizza there was a big treat.
7&K, all I can remember on that corner was a bank. Was it behind that?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 287
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: On the corner of Moross and Kelly (Kelly side was a gift shop, Jason's Bakery, a butcher shop, and George's Party store, an alley then later Laura's flower shop. On the Kelly side of the corner just south of the gift shop was a barber shop, south of that was Colonial Federal Savings (built around 1964).

7andkelly

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Mad magazines for me. I never even finished reading my subscription magazines: Jack-and-Jill or later Highlights or later Sports Illustrated. With Highlights, once I found the hidden items, that was it.

I used to ride my bike to Colonial Bank, usually the day after my birthday or after mowing my Grandma's grass (or even for just showing up at Grandma's). I rode in an armored bike following my First Communion.

I would fill out my own deposit slip, endorse any checks, and receive some cash back. No one questioned my status as a minor or any of that.

They used to give out some neat stuff. They had the best little desk calenders with cool seasonal pictures on them, another small booklet type calendar, and a wallet calendar. My favorite gifts from Colonial were two metal change banks with keys to open them. Definitely quality items.

And they had this cool gumball dispenser...

Kellyroad

Post Number: 289
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andKelly: Colonial Bank had one of the first numerical clocks with temperature in that area. We often wondered what would happen if the temperature hit 100 or more. Did it have the capacity to show 3 digits? IT DID. On hot days we'd rush up to the bank wondering what the temp was. It also served as a friendly reminder of how much time until school or work and in some cases the clock seemed to be saying "man it's late, you're in trouble". The building of that bank seemingly thrust us into the future...All glass in front with that ultramodern cubed look, the clock, the drive thru with 2 way speakers. It seemed like the Jetsons were landing.

Jcole

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, I just googled, and did the street view of the corner, and now I remember the setup or the strip of stores, the alley and then the bank. On the Moross side is a gas station, that I think was there when I was a kid. Right where Fordham ends.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 290
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: That gas station was a Pure gas station back in the 50s-60s..use to fill my bike tires with air there...later it became Union 76. During the 80s the building became a petshop/gardenshop called Sea World...It was a nice adventure to walk my kids over there while they were visiting Grandma and Grandpa to see all the birds and tropical fish.

7andkelly

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Cole family on Eastwood between Rex and Redmond on the south side of the street. Mr. Cole (Nick) was a jeweler and a watch repairman.

Nice couple. Nick lived to be 100 I believe or very close to that. He was still repairing watches in his basement well into his 90's.

I guess time paid him back for all the work on the watches and clocks;-).

Now I have to go to Sears for that:-(

His daughter was a golfer, and I remember driving some plastic golf balls in Nick's backyard with Nick's grandson. Can't recall that boy's name.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup.....Nick and Bea Cole.....daughters Carol and and hmmmm......and KR it was B.J. Lauri and sons florist...I remember playing in that building as it was being built along with the bank.............its getting warmer.........time to take that 'hood stroll in person......

Kellyroad

Post Number: 293
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7KKid: You're right, hope Jcole forgives the error on the flower shop. The Coles moved in on Eastwood in the early 60s. I believe it was the Allens that lived there prior to the Coles (maybe ES61 remembers the Allens) Anyway Nick and Bea Cole were the epitome of good neighbors. Our family took our watches and clocks there for repair. I'll never forget the first time I visited his repair room in the basement...there were seemingly 100s of watches on bulletin boards and clocks waiting to be picked up. It was cool if you were there on the hour to hear all the chimed clocks or cuckoo clocks going at the same time. After noticing Nick Cole's certificate that stated "Horologist" I remember having to look up the definition in the dictionary....The imagination goes wild when you're a kid. One of Nick's daughters was Miss DSR and one (not sure which one) married a Flemming boy from Saratoga (right behind the alley). Nick bowled well into his 90s..I believe on a St. Jude bowling league.

Yea it is getting warmer. How bout a Saturday in May? Maybe ES61 and fly in from San Jose and reminisce about the post WWII dynamics of the neighborhood.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR.....rite you are!...I forgot that Carol married Jim Flemming but I still cannot come up with the name of her older sister.......it's a classic name sorta like Regina or Marie (but not those names).........the Cole's moved in just before or after we did (May '60).........they had a '61 blue Oldsmobile.....I forgot about the Allen's.........

Jcole

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andkellykid, Actually MY name is (was) Regina Marie Cole, but I was on Maddelein between Redmond and Boulder. To my knowledge, we weren't related to the Cole's on Eastwood. I do remember something about a Miss DSR from the parish, but not in my family. We left the city in 73, when my dad retired from the police dept. and I was going into my senior year at Regina.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother used to go to Eastwood Gardens in the late 1930's. Below was one of her favorite trumpet men. Bunny Berigan. There is also a great jazz site with some flyers and postcards from Eastwood Gardens from the 1930's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =AxBbXZuAe0A&NR=1

7andkelly

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: Hopefully you were able to graduate from Regina after your move. Regina is still thriving today over in their new location on Masonic in Warren. My Notre Dame is gone for now. I believe the initial insistence to stay in Harper Woods instead of moving eventually cost them the school. But didn't Regina always favor DeLaSalle anyway? They're in Warren now too, not far from Regina.