Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through April 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andk, Regina girls favored any boys school who would pay for the date:-)
Actually, most of my dates were from Austin Prep, and a few from ND. I don't remember many LaSalle boys at all.
No, I didn't get to finish up at Regina. We moved up to the base of the Thumb, and I had to go to public school for my final year. I was not a happy girl

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad about the ill-timed move:-( Being a Detroit Police Officer back in the 60's, your Dad must have wanted to get you all to a safer place. (or maybe it was those Austin boys) Hopefully, your new home had a beachfront and/or a boat slip!

It used to be a blast riding in my Dad's car down Redmond from 8 Mile. A real roller coaster at the cross streets. My stomach always got that feeling you get on the downward path on a swing.

Jcole

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No boat slips or even water nearby. We moved to a small town named Almont, north of Romeo, south of Imlay City on M53. My dad got the job of police chief there. Imagine being the daughter of a small town police chief in 1973, and the new kid in town to boot. I was tagged as 'the narc', so I had take up drinking and hanging out with the wild kids. Senior year was mostly a waste.

7andkelly

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Bucilli's Pizza there back then? There is another one in Prudenville, but that one has a salad bar. GRRREEEAAATTT Pizza!

If you did any bar hopping you may have been to Humphrey's in Romeo. Too bad it burned down around '90.

Jcole

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buc's wasn't here when I moved in, but I worked there in 83-84. The one in Prudenville was owned by the cousin of the owners of the one in Almont.
Yes, I hopped bars in Romeo. I worked at The Ugly Mug in 84, and use to go down to Humphrey's after shift.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw Jcole...you shoulda been dating Denby guys...we were a lot more fun! My dad was also DPD...but...a generation ahead of yours.

Jcole

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad was DPD from 37 to 73. When was yours?
Never had the pleasure of dating Denby guys, but my sister DID marry one.

7andkelly

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: What a hall of fame posting: "Yes, I hopped bars in Romeo." Too funny!

Watched a few Pistons playoff games in the glory year of 89 at Humprey's...fun place...but what a smoke pit. It couldn't have been much smokier in there when it burned down.

Jcole

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the bars up here were smoke pits back then. It was a combination of almost all the patrons smoking, and the fact that most of them were old wooden structures where people had smoked for a hundred years.
One of the specialty drinks at Humphreys was a 'LogRoller' which was DonQ 151 rum with Tabasco floated on top. You really didn't care about the smoke after one of those, if you could still breathe.

7andkelly

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, 151! I'm pretty sure that's actually flammable. That and the cigarettes. Maybe that's how the fire started.

Jcole

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Undoubtedly!!

7andkelly

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting back to the old neighborhood, anybody ever go to a place called the Paper Station. It was on the west side of Kelly Rd., south of Seven Mile Rd, and north of Moross. You could get a pitcher of Miller for $3, and I'm talking the gallon size pitcher, not the puny two glass full pitchers you get now. And the ground rounds were fantastic. John was one of the owners, and the other one's name started with J too. They might have been brother-in-laws or some other way related.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 299
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Jay's Paper Station right next to Aldos? A short distance from home, cold beer, a good burger, and conversation with Jay (was it John Patrick?) a young hip bartender/owner. What more can you ask for? Sounds like you know your watering holes from the hood to the thumb!

Jcole

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was out of Detroit before I reached LEGAL drinking age, so I didn't go to the bars there, but I remember a couple up on Kelly. One was owned by a family named Werner who lived over on Novaro. I think if was called the Rosewood. The other one was about a block north, and was called something like the Lamplight. My mom and dad used to occasionally walk up and hoist a few there. They were both on the Harper Woods side of Kelly, north of 7 Mile

7andkelly

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it was somewhat like Cheers. Everyone didn't know your name, but Jay did, and you were always welcome at his place. Short distance from home for sure. I actually walked there once in a while.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 300
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank Werner was in my class at SJ and ND..played quarterback at both schools and was a hockey player. I believe the Rosewood was near where the Sweetheart bakery was. By the way I think the Candlelight lounge/resaturant is still in existence on Kelly just inside the Harperwoods border.

Jcole

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sister dated Frank's older brother Ken for about three years in HS. Ken also played football for ND. There was also a sister named Georgina.
And you're right, it was the Candlelight. I recall walking up to the bar on Sat mornings, and sometimes finding dollar bills and change that the patrons had dropped on the sidewalk the night before. I also remember buying cigarettes from the machine in the front lobby from my friends mom because no one asked any questions, so when I was older thats where I bought mine, too

7andkelly

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave Moroz was in my grade. I think they lived on Faircrest which is a block north of Linhurst and two blocks north of Glenwood. Maybe he is the brother of the Moroz girls you hung out with.

Jcole

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he may have been their brother. Somewhat older than we were

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he was a couple of years younger

Jcole

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been a long time...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i used to go to Jay's Paper Station as a youngster

7andkelly

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hung out with a Gary T...ski for awhile. He lived on Manning or maybe Lappin (s side of street a few houses w of Redmond.

Jcole

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a Gary Grabowski, but not a T-ski

7andkelly

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope. Different dude.

7andkelly

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wait! Pretty sure I knew Gary G too!

If it's who I'm thinking, he is one or two years older than me. Good kid! Him and I used to help out with the Holy Name Society at St. Jude's.

And again, if it's who I'm thinking his Dad headed up the Holy Name Society at St. Jude, and was the one who organized the group bus trip to see Mark Fidrych and the Tigers, and was the one that had the tragic fatal heart attack at the game. May his soul, and the souls of all the faithfully departed, rest in peace!

What thread am I on?

Jcole

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you're correct. Gary was a kind of big guy for his age. Graduated in 70.

7andkelly

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reposting this on the right forum...

We used to play a game called curb ball. You bounce a rubber ball or tennis ball on a curb. If it crosses the first line without getting caught it was a single, 2nd line (middle of the road) double, 3rd line triple, and if the ball made it past the other curb across the street without getting caught, it was a home run.

It was always annoying when cars would want to drive through our games!

As a fielder, you could use a mitt, but your feet had to stay in bounds on the street. I remember a lot of arguing about just where the ball fell, or just where someone's feet were when the ball was caught, etc.

If you only had one player on each side, we had a "no singles rule" since there would be too much ground for the fielder to cover.

And not all the curbs were made for this game. Ideally, the curbs were curved just right.

Faircrest, Saratoga, Eastwood, Fordham,..., we all enjoyed this game...until the "Superball" was invented. Either everything was a home run, or we would lose the ball!

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 2275
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we had three blocks of cement so all bases were covered...home run was on the neighbors grass across the street...yes tennis balls were fair..supper balls..well if we could have scored for hitting the neighbors porch ....

funny ...baseball on streets with tennis balls too..that was an interesting game...surprised we didn't loss more teeth playing street football....grass was for sissies

Jcole

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still have a scar on my arm from getting tackled and skidding across the pavement playing street FB.
We played street baseball, but we used a softball, not tennis. The sewer grates were 1st and 3rd, and I tripped on those more than once.