Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through April 03, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda....Good for you to join us....We are going to write a book about growing up on the Eastside....please add your insight.

Jjaba: Turkish music.....how pseudo cultural..... are you smokin' turkish stuff too!
GB: driver training for me was at night.....my dad knew the instructor and I got in when I was 15 1/2....cool.....

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though many people from Guyton Elementary went to different high schools on the eastside: Cass Tech, Southeastern, Denby and Finney, we were all connected because of growing up on the eastside in all its' beauty, safeness and fun! We couldn't raise our kids there after the polarization of the city. All there is memories! If Jjaba is really Turkish, I have a short story for him. I got in touch with a classmate from Guyton name Larry Zuellig by chance two years ago. He had stayed in Izmir, Turkey after his tour in the Air Force, married a lady there...anyway, he was a professor at one of the colleges there...sadly, our communication was short lived as he was diagnosed with a brain tumor and died 1/1/07. Was of his last requests was to get in touch was a special teacher, Mr. Weitschat, and I hooked him up with the number for them to talk. Many of the Denby people who had gone to Guyton and Jackson would remember this man. The Turkish has a rich culture with food, academia and friendliness...I am sure that is why Larry fell in love with this place. As I mentioned in the start of this comment, eastsiders from our youth are connected, no matter what school they went to.........

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your points are right on Brenda...I made the mistake of marrying SE59 as soon as I graduated from WMU...but we did share that rich Eastside background. Jjaba isn't Turkish though...he had a second major in Jewish Studies at WMU...his senior thesis was entitled "My Time With Sheila Freeman". He's a great guy with an incredible resume of civil rights activism and a wide range of cultural interests.

We're considering Turkey for our next major international trip. I had a teacher friend years ago who was there with the DOD schools...before he was sent to Kabul...he loved both places. Friends who have traveled there recently describe it and the people as a great place to visit.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Oh the cloistered life of the Westside" poor Jjaba who I do give some credit to for going at least to an Eastside school - Cass Tech and for his Human Rights stand over the years....His actual WMU senior thesis was titled "The History of the DSR and riding the Dexter Bus" Actually Sheila Fishman (Not Freeman) went into the printing business and made a lot of money.

Traveled to Istanbul and found it to be a very interesting city....and I would like to go back someday....and visit more of the country.....

Regarding Guyton - My mother went to Guyton - Foch - and SE in the 20's and 30's and lived on Marlborough and then Audubon on the Eastside....

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6232
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba is neither an Eastsider nor Turk.
It might come as a surprise to Denby, but you don't have to be Turkish nor an Eastsider to listen to Turkish music. jjaba invites all Eastsiders to enjoy Klezmer too.

Although an honorary Denby Tar hisself, let it be known again, Brenda included now, oy veyesmere, that venerable Cass Tech. High School is located in downtown Detroit, West of Woodward. Being "downtown" means it is neither West nor Eastside.

Ford Field, Comerica Park, Wayne County Bldg. are downtown, not Eastside. When we went to Briggs Stadium, no Westsider claimed that place either. (BTW, jjaba took his girlfriend to the ballpark, sat high up in Sec. 24 early in April. He hugged her on the strikes, & she kissed him on the balls. It was a fine afternoon.)

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Brenda

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Jjaba: I am very aware that Cass Tech is downtown......the mention of Turk (Turkish) made me remember a friend....nothing more, just a good memory. I went to Cass Tech and then transfer'd to Southeastern to grab some college money--which I know is on the east side...lol....

Before leaving Michigan, I lived on the "west side" where I raised my daughter--Dearborn Heights to be exact....

Your discourse came across hedonistic, pompous, and a little rude, but I will you are who you are.thank goodness for freedom of speech...as John Lennon once said in a song: "Just because you can hold it in your hand, doesn't make you man."....

What I said was a comment. It didn't need to be downgraded...btw: I have great respect for your Jewish culture too! I was in love with a couple of guys who were enriching and quite intelligent too. I believe the most gifted people I have met in my life are humble even with their iq off the record. The gentleman I am close to now is such a "man" and was wounded in vietnam (he volunteered now drafted...so Mr. J, I leave you with this positive thought on me Irish side: "May the love you give to others come back ten fold."....

May you greet people--no matter the rank on the social scare with the same pride and respect you would want.........

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a related thread:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/133144.html?1206819351
I went to Denby Night School after I dropped out of Finney in the 70's. But I couldn't finish, it was just too much at the time. I got my GED much later (At a school on Chicago Rd, Westside Detroit), but that’s another story.

Goblue

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda: Jjaba means no harm...he really is a quite erudite sort of guy. For rude, crude and socially unacceptable you gotta read ES61...but...given his Haight-Ashbury years its sorta understandable.

What years were you at S'Eastern? My ex was there '55-'59. She lived on Newport near Mack...we both grew up at Messiah Lutheran on Kercheval at Lakeview.

ES: Our mothers HAD to have known each other...mine also lived on Marlborough...she attended Foch and was at SE 1922-24...had to drop out when she was 16 to support her mother and infant sister when my grandfather took off. Real nice guy!

Brenda

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. GoBlue: I was just holding my own with Mr. Jjaba and clarification of my directional knowledge of Detroit, lol....I went to Cass Tech from 1967-68; transfer'd to SE in 1968, grad in 69. No ill feelings toward the Jjaba, just holding my own. I am also a Navy vet, it is my blood, lol....My mother died in 65, so my Dad was everything to me in my crazy youth...glad there wasn't cell phones.lol...I grew up on the lower east side (AKA Jeff/Chalmers) near St. Martin, Guyton and not too far from St. Anbrows (sp), but growing up on the east with the myriad of people and schools was unique as well as cool.

As for the Haight years, I managed in my 63 Brown Covair with a huge peace symbol on the back to visit Grande, Eastown and a frequent visiter to the Garwood Mansion....I even met many people from Denby too...but I was born in 51...so I think a little younger that some of you folks....In passing, for the ones venturing to Turkey, watch your American humor (freestyle) as the political situation in that country and surrounding area has alot of Anti-American due to the war and Mr. Bush.....enjoy, but be careful an smart!

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda..........I graduated from Denby in '70......OOOOOOOOOO.....Gar Wood was known as the "proving grounds".......need I say more....and the Easttown.......I'm existing in Farmington for now.....where U?

Goblue

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda: I think you might have known (or at least known of) ES61...he was a teacher at SE in the science department. He was there during the years you were...and before he headed for the decadence of the "love people scene". Actually, I heard that he headed for San Francisco because of a reported relationship with a female student in the senior class named Sheila F. I saw an infomercial last night where Peter Fonda was selling CD's of music from the flower children years...it had lots of pics of the love people...ES61 was in the background of one...giving the peace sign with one hand and the bird with the other...a real classy guy! He gets out on weekend work release so I expect him to weigh in any time now.

(Message edited by GoBlue on March 29, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda - beware of the two WMU clowns......they actually lived in the same flat on Northlawn.....GB's family in the lower and Jjaba's family in the upper.....and J boy trys to come across with his pseudo swell - guy act but no matter what slowly comes out of his mouth he still needs to know that CASS TECH was an EASTSIDE SCHOOL - his problem comes from years of sucking in DSR fumes from the Dexter bus that took him to CT.....for the 6 months that he attended.

What is concerning to me is that this thread has bailed out GB almost on a weekly basis and he cannot stop defending J boy....so it must be those negatives that he still has showing GB in another compromising position.....

What years did you attend SE? I loved SE for the years that I spent there.....A student on my tennis team who's family lived on St Clair below Jefferson just up the block from Sinbad's home burned down and the family of 11 lost everything... So we filled my science room with clothing and other needed goods ....the room was totally filled with STUFF....and they were able to move down the street on St Clair.....and he at least got them off the ground as they started over....On a sad note one of my tennis team members was shot and killed over a transistor radio one summer on the corner of Kercheval and Fairview......How sad and senseless....I was cleaning my garage the other day and found a SE pennant - I first thought about sending it to GB...but he has been in therapy ever since his first marriage to a Jungaleer....

GB will atone for his support of the Westside total clown and will come around again when we get together about writing the book about growing up on the eastside...

GB - MEE attended Guyton until '25 Foch . 26-28 and SE 29 -32.......I still have a cousin who lives on Chalmers below Jefferson.....Interesting....

While Jjaba lip sinks Turkish Polkas I will still belt out Motown classics....

Goblue

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Brenda was at SE '68 & '69...after transferring from that great Eastside high school Cass Tech...she grew up in the Jeff/Chalmers area...you gotta clean those bifocals every once in awhile! It frightens me to think that she might have been in one of your science classes...thank God you didn't teach chemistry...but, that might explain why she enlisted in the Navy. She sounds like a nice person so please...behave yourself!

ES: Your mom is a few years younger than mine so they probably didn't know each other...and my aunt was born in '24. I'm certain that she still shakes her head wondering what she did to deserve you. My mother would have been 100 this coming Nov. She died in '96.

Brenda

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all to JKelly: I know live in Fort Wayne, Indiana where a gentleman (a fellow vet) lure me to transfer from Detroit to FW at the VA. It was a very wise and enlightening decision. My friend is beautiful and is iq is off the record...his parents and family like me too. The reason I put my two cents in on this thread was to contribute to the best that Detroit was and hopefully, all of you still have that good spirit as you share your memories.

Goblue: Thank you for explaining the facts, lol. I try to be a good person and helping my fellow veterans where I work amidst the "enemy within the government" characters. I am also struggling being dx with ms and working.

I still believe the eastsiders were a unique gang that grew up in the 50/60 and 70s...though the riots of 67 changed our world so much.

Again to the "boys" who will venture to the Turkish area for enlightenment, remember you are Americans--no matter how your mom/dad raised you and you will be dealt with as one people--Americans.

I think we all forget our ability to express ourselves verbally and in writing without being hurt. Times have changed and we can be hurt for our expressions. It is more so in the middle east or Turkey (part Euro/part Middle east) in being a free spirit.

Hope Jjaba doesn't get too dizzy with the Turkish Polkas, lol.....

Have a great day!

Brenda

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all to JKelly: I know live in Fort Wayne, Indiana where a gentleman (a fellow vet) lure me to transfer from Detroit to FW at the VA. It was a very wise and enlightening decision. My friend is beautiful and is iq is off the record...his parents and family like me too. The reason I put my two cents in on this thread was to contribute to the best that Detroit was and hopefully, all of you still have that good spirit as you share your memories.

Goblue: Thank you for explaining the facts, lol. I try to be a good person and helping my fellow veterans where I work amidst the "enemy within the government" characters. I am also struggling being dx with ms and working.

I still believe the eastsiders were a unique gang that grew up in the 50/60 and 70s...though the riots of 67 changed our world so much.

Again to the "boys" who will venture to the Turkish area for enlightenment, remember you are Americans--no matter how your mom/dad raised you and you will be dealt with as one people--Americans.

I think we all forget our ability to express ourselves verbally and in writing without being hurt. Times have changed and we can be hurt for our expressions. It is more so in the middle east or Turkey (part Euro/part Middle east) in being a free spirit.

Hope Jjaba doesn't get too dizzy with the Turkish Polkas, lol.....

Have a great day!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda - ES61 was certainly there at SE in 68 - 69....My classroom was on the first floor right off the entrance to the school....I was assigned to run student council and I was on duty during the last period of the day actually stationed in front of the school between the entrance and the DPD who sat in their squad cars on Fairview.

My job was to assist students - encourage students to leave the SE campus.....an interesting educational concept.. during my stay at SE they also locked all the doors on the ground floor at 8:10 every morning so that people could not enter the building except through the main front doors....My parents are grads of SE in 32.....Mom grew up on Marlborough and dad on Lakewood below Jeff. I even met their biology teacher who came to the 50 year reunion in 1967 of the school who taught in the same science lab that I was in....interesting times....I hope you can continue to add your insight to this eastside thread.....Did you go to Jackson or Foch?????

Brenda

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: I went to Jackson where they started the "busing" fiasco--a disaster on blending peoples of different race/cultures....going there was not a pleasant experience...the white kids who were brought in from the lower economic areas were rough and gangster types...I had to find different exits to leave the building where this one girl threaten to kill me...I had alot of absenses too because I was scared to go to school...I graduated with honors and had an interview at Cass Tech with my father to attend a better school. I have to admit, that CT was alot more unified than Jackson without all the tension...I left there to go to SE in senior year to get some college money...though I had very good grades, I wasn't a 4.0....I don't think Einstein was either, lol....while attending SE, that is when a friend introduced me to a guy from Denby.......

Eastside61

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda- R U a 68 or 69 grad from SE.....now that I have said that I cannot seem to find my SE collection of YB from those teaching years.....I hope that you NEVER attended WMU where GB and the Dexter Bus Driver Jjaba went to college....

It would be an interesting chapter in the book that GB and I are formulating about "busing" and growing up on the Eastside in the 50's and 60's.....Was your JHS experience a total Freak show...you have talked about the Gar Wood mansion....well Gar Wood was my mothers uncle and she was married at the mansion in 1937....and as a child in the 50's there were several Christmas's spent there.....I always found the indoor pool so cool.....and when Gar moved to Florida in the late 50's and left the place vacant we as HS students headed for the mansion during that early 60's era.....

What was SE like for you for your senior year?

Goblue

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Brenda graduated from SE in '69...once again, you gotta clean those bifocals!! She is a WMU grad having received her honorary doc during a ceremony led by Jjaba and myself in the 70's.

(Message edited by GoBlue on March 31, 2008)

Jjaba

Post Number: 6255
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't knock it. 40 yrs. on the Dexter line through a riot, I now get the long pension and you're still flipping burgers and Kielbasa on the Eastside.

Yes, jjaba went to WMU and "down to Wayne". So he was an educated bus driver.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Dexter bus is really cultural! Right! Sorry older brother although you are a good man....you missed out on a total experience that was quite unique...I hope you can find the time to go fishing with GB and ES...you bring the strohs and we will bring an Ipod with real music like Nancy Wilson and Cannnonball and as you have requested the Kielbasa.....

ES61 - Proudly Cultural Enrichment Program Director

Goblue

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Have you seen the thread re: Lake Boats...its good...brings back more memories of the Eastside and being able to hear the horns on a quiet night all the way from the lake and river.

A buddy and I were drift fishing one night in his dads little boat when we were seniors...started drifting downstream from about 8 Mile...of course, we weren't bright enough to have lights...got somewhere past Lakewood...saw a big boat coming up river...couldn't get the damn outboard started...knew they couldn't see us...scared the bejeezus out of us...the damn thing looked like a mountain coming at us when the motor finally started...I was just getting ready to go over the side and start swimming toward shore...figured I might end up on Belle Isle...another memory of growing up on the Eastside that I can laugh about...now!

Jjaba

Post Number: 6263
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good story Goblue. Nuthin' like that growing up on the Westside. The onliest boat jjaba knew was his Dad's big blue '60 Olds. A land boat, perhaps, eh.

Eastside61, jjaba saw Cannonball and Nat Adderly several times at Minor Key Coffee House on Dexter Blvd. in the late 50s, early 60s. It was one of our famous "black and tan" clubs, previously described on other threads. Any jazz clubs out by Denby in those days?
jjaba.

Brenda

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who can't find their se year books, lol...I have a photo from a senior pic taken on the "east side", lol from Southeastern. I found most of my educational enlightenment came from my own effort rather than from the teachers (either SE or CT). Mr. Jjaba, you surely jest on "jazz" clubs near Denby in those days....had to go to the hood, west side (you knew where they were), WSU area or places you heard from my word of mouth.....Jzz was the best radio station for miles around..

Jjaba

Post Number: 6265
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba never ever met a Denby person at a jazz club, lifetime. Not to belabor the point, but we all know the meaning of Woodward Avenue. Someday jjaba will actually get up the nerve to go there.

Minor Key hosted all the greats; Miles Davis, Milt Jackson, John Coletrane, George Shearing, The Adderly Bros., Maynard Ferguson, Slide Hampton, Yusef Lateef, Ramsey Lewis, and so many more.

jjaba, Proudly Westside, honorary Denby.

Goblue

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The closest thing to a jazz club for TAR's was the Mermaid's Cave...located somewhere in the downtown area...I can't recall exactly where...on the Eastside it wasn't jazz...but St. Patrick's Day was always an occasion for celebration.

Goblue

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an FM station that played "soft jazz" late at night in the late 50's & early 60's...I have no idea what it's call letters were...I used to listen to it as I drove home after taking SE59 home (or to her Harper Hosp. nurse's dorm) after a date/tryst. My '56 Ford Sunliner had one of the first "automatic search radios". These are long lost memories.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: WCHD=FM the home of the famous ED LOVE....one of the best Jazz DJ.......still around I think.....and for Jjaba....you be right BOY! Minor Key.....even the Masonic Temple hosted C-Ball, Nat Adderley Nancy Wilson on the same bill.... another westside bar (hard to type those letters) was a very small bar above Central HS...called the GRAND....It held about 25 people and I saw Lou Rawls and Les McCann there in the mid 60's....I wish I could remember the cross streets.....

Joe Sample is playin' on my I Tunes.....

OH....J -boy wasn't the print shop located EAST of Woodward...?

Detroitgig
Username: Detroitgig

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents owned the Duchess A&W on Duchess and Morang.Surely some of you can relate some memories of the times you had there and some of the people who hung out there. My brother-in law
Glenn Woods went to Denby and would have graduated about '67. Other names I remember from the neighborhood include Tom Ringer,and Ronnie Wright (who I think was the first hippie I ever
saw). Any memories of Duchess out there?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D-gig: A great place and I did spend money at the Duchess....had a good friend who lived in an apartment building across the street from the duchess....being a 61 grad I don't know G.W.....maybe my brother who graduated in 68 might know of him.....how long did your parents own the Duchess? and what ever became of the D...?