Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through April 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4567
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Totally agree.

Penciling them in for the world series was the worst thing that could happen. That's what made '06 so special. But Leyland's coaching ability should keep all of this from getting to their head.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4121
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leyland is one of the best in baseball, for sure. He has an uncanny ability to get through to his players.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5770
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody selling what's left (76 games) of their season tickets on the streets yet?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7487
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not even worried in the slightest just yet. I dunno. This is a relatively new batch of guys out there. On paper, they're team mates but it's going to take some time to click. They're also amazingly talented too but until all of it starts clicking, I'm not expecting much. Going 0-5 doesn't faze me any more than if they went 5-0 at this point.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5773
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still, it's hard to be much worse than 0 for 5 for the first five games...

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 248
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, let's hope they don't go 0 for 6.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, I'm not saying that you should be sweating and hyper-ventilating, but don't down-play this issue, either. It is really disgusting, for a team like this one, to not just lose their first five games, but to (mostly) look like Absolute Shit in the process. Something is wrong, here, and we can speculate, all day & night, about what it is, but if it doesn't change QUICKLY, we are fucked. This division is not going to slow down so the Tigers can catch up.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7490
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one in our division is beyond 3-2 and the best percentage in the AL is .750 (4-1). Again, it's still VERY early.

Let's not panic just yet. If you truly believe in Jim Leyland and the team, then you've also got to know they'll pull out of it. If you had faith at the beginning of the season, it need not waver just yet.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 265
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let the Bandwagon Jumping begin:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ search/sss?query=tigers

If the Tigers continue their swoon deep into the season, many ticket scalpers who hoped to cash in on the hype might end up getting burned.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5779
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Tiger's guy who was in charge of tickets being on WJR the day of the season opener, assuring the WJR listeners that there were still tickets left for the rest of the season! But, we better get them early before they're all gone.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 869
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they just can't win during the day. They play most of their games at night. Let's hope they win tonight or we're screwed.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7502
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sparky Anderson said never judge a team until the 40th game. I'm not about to question that man and his logic just yet.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 616
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"----------------------------- ------------------------------ ---------------------
No sweat Emu_steve. I've played 3B in softball and believe me, not all of my tosses across the diamond have been gems either, but reflecting back, the toss from Cabrera wasn't that bad to the point where Guillen should've pulled it out.

(from one who's been grateful to all of the people who've played 1B with me and salvaged some of my errant tosses)"

I played 1B like Konerko did with Crede's throw tonight:

If it was up the line (toward home), hope the batter was wearing a cup, because I flagged at more then a few throws...

Ravine

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not like Joe Morgan is a total nincompoop-- and he certainly was an outstanding baseball player-- but does anybody else wish that he would just shut the fuck up for a minute or so? Cripes! And, could somebody teach him how to say "Williams," with the L sound, instead of "Weeyums?"

It didn't turn out so well, but I thought Santiago trying to hustle his way to third base was a good move. To break out of a team slump, sometimes ya gotta "push the limits" a bit.

I didn't use to like Ozzie Guillen much, but he has grown on me. I think he has chilled out, some, over the past couple of years.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7506
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn... it looks as though the White Sox brought their hitting bats with them tonight. Dunna look good for this game.

Ravine

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Son of a BITCH. Baron von Smoggenfeffer, HELP! Save me from... myself!

Smogboy

Post Number: 7507
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Breathe Ravine! Breathe! In through the nose, out through the mouth. Repeat.

Don't let a sports team (even though it is our Tigers) get you worked up to the point where we're having to perform CPR on you. It's just not worth getting into a tizzy just yet. Just remember back five years ago when we were REALLY horrid- if we had started out like that in 2003, you would be chalking it up to the "same ol' Tigers". And just because we've had a wee taste of the good life and a big heaping dose of pre-season hype- it's still no time to panic. You KNOW this team will pull out of its funk. Cling to that.

And remember... Breathe! In through the nose, out through the mouth. Repeat. And repeat often.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5794
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigers could do worse. They showed up, came to play (sort of...), and didn't lose a 1-0 forfeit. Still, looks like a perfect season, to date.

Odds are that they're bound to win a few, eventually. Maybe May may be a better time for that.

(Message edited by livernoisyard on April 06, 2008)

Ravine

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phhwheeet... Hooohhhh

Phhwheeet... Hooohhhh

O.K., Smogboy, I think I've stabilized. Merci, mon ami.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4720
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG!

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We suck

Smogboy

Post Number: 7508
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calm done people.

It really isn't worth this level of freaking out just yet. Lest we all forget last year the Yankees did the same thing at the beginning of their season and they made it into the post season as well.

G'Lord... am I the only calm Tigers fan in this fair city of ours now??

And again, the wise sage word of Sparky Anderson- "don't judge a team until their 40th game." Now if we're 0-40, THEN we can ALL panic and overturn cars (the cliche that will never die).

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5795
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigers are at least gentlemanly. They temporarily transformed the perennial cellar-dweller in the American League into a first-place contender...

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 267
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Complete meltdown...

Cabbage looked awful at bat, two consecutive GIDPs tonight.

Will this litter of Kittens eclipse the 2003 team's 0-9 start???

(Message edited by Flanders_field on April 07, 2008)

Ravine

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, don't worry about me. The truth is that I am not really freaking out; my histrionics are staged, in part, specifically for your amusement. No actual blood vessels were burst in this demonstration.

However, this is some truly ugly shit. Listening to sportstalkradio-- which, possibly as a result of being raised as a Catholic, I do as a form of self-flagellation-- I have heard all manner of possible explanations and solutions, with almost every single one of them being absurd. Me, I happen to believe that there are certain phenomena for which there are no definitive explanations. What I have learned, from years of following baseball, is that funks like this one-- just like flaming hot winning streaks-- take on a self-feeding life of their own, and then disappear overnight.

It's just really hard to watch this one. As I previously stated, we're not merely losing; we're looking truly atrocious about it. But you know that something almost supernatural is going on when the play which sends the game completely swirling down into the bowl is Carlos Guillen-- arguably the most consistent, rock-solid, unflappable player on the squad-- dropping a ball. Whhaaatt?

Still, I, too, have always totally believed in Sparky's 40-game proposition. Our record, at that point, will be telling, and if that record looks O.K., it won't much matter how graceful, or graceless, we looked while attaining it.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5798
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit made it possible for both Chicago and KC to be tied for first place in their division. So, the Tigers were good for two things.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 801
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They look weak!
No energy!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7267
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers are losing! Leland crash and burn his team. They can kiss the playoffs and the World Series goodbye.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6008
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They need to get out of Detroit for awhile, which is exactly what they'll be doing. Hopefully the road will be kinder.

But still, last night... UHHHHHHHHHHHGH.

The most exciting play by a Tiger was Verlander beaning the Ump.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4122
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at last night's game. Tigers look flat. No spark. They're mailing it in.