Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through April 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

details?.....sure KR........after going to the basement of the Church the instructions were to
1...kneel down

2.......put your head betweeen your legs

3........kiss your a.. goodbye!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 294
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7KKid: That scenario played out for a nuclear attack which Sr. Mary John made sure we were kept up to date regarding the Cuban missile crisis. She'd point to the map of the USA. "Here's Cuba, look how close it is the the United States". "Here's Detroit way up here in Michigan". "Detroit would probably one of the first cities to be attacked because we are the arsenal of democracy". But it was nice to know that if a hydrogen bomb was dropped downtown you could survive nuclear fallout thanks to the fallout shelter. LOL.
The bomb shelter by the convent I believe was for more conventional type of bombing.

Duck
Username: Duck

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of my friends and I got caught smoking in the tunnel by Frank. But he didn't bust us.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, Frank! Here's my Frank story:

On a hot mid summer day, we were all having an innocent rock fight on the blacktop.

We got the rocks from an alley, put them in a cardboard box and pulled them to the blacktop in a red wagon. It wasn't a turf fight or anything. We actually went over to one of the Fordham family's houses (the Axes), and invited them to a rock fight. (For the record I was just tagging along). A time was set for later in the day to give us all time to accumulate ammo, and invite more friends. Mostly Eastwood kids on the 7 Mile side over by the basketball net fences, and mostly Fordham kids over by the alley side. We all had metal garbage cans for shields to protect our heads, but in hindsight, they weren't doing us much good that day anyway.

On your mark, get set, hurl. After a few minutes of pelting each other with rocks, it started to rain. A little rain never stopped us, so we kept on throwing rocks. Well then it began to downpour! So, we all decide to bail, but the cardboard box broke open on the bottom, and then Frank came over and made us pick up every last rock, including all the ones we threw!

We came home all drenched, but it was raining and we were boys and so it was no big deal. But that Frank sure scared the devil out of us that day!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 295
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: I'm not sure which side you were on but it's a good thing Frank interceded. Those Eastwood kids could cause a lot of trouble.

My earliest recollection of Frank was as a 1st grader. Frank ran the incinerator located on the front east side of the school. It was a big production when all the metal wastebaskets from the classrooms would be carried out to the incinerator room. Some of the older kids got to help Frank. I remember wishing I could be on Frank's incinerator squad. He always got the attention of the little kids.

Duck: You got busted by a duty girl for smoking by the cry room and Frank for smoking in the tunnel....was smoking a youthful daring adventure or a nicotine addiction? LOL

7andkelly

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the same cry room the doubled as the St. Jude Chapel in the church?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 296
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K, Yes, The cryroom was the St. Jude Chapel. Father Grady once instructed one the altar boys to go into the cryroom during a Mass and tell the parents of a kid pounding on the glass to either make him stop or leave. I thought at the time that was quite a bold move in making such a request. I also thought that would be nice just to attend Mass right next to the altar..why did the crying kids get to be up front?

(Message edited by kellyroad on April 06, 2008)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 297
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the blue uniforms prior to the plaid?
This shot was taken around 1963.
Can anyone identify the nun in the picture? It is not Sr. Leonita. (a Marathon gas station where 7 Mi and Moross meet and the newly built credit union are in the background)

7andkelly

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bonus question: Who is the other nun in the picture?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the change in uniform fabric, but more than that, I remember that going into seventh grade got us out of the jumpers and into and into skirts and boleros, the true mark of womanhood in Catholic school.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 298
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The widening of 7 Mile from Hayes to Kelly in 1961 made a significant difference in the local ambiance surrounding St. Jude Parish.

What a picture can tell and not tell:
The above picture is the cropped blurred background of a 1st communion picture taken on May 14, 1961. The picture shows a narrow 7 Mi with cars slowly driving west through the 7Mi-Moross bend. The church, convent, gym, and school had a much wider boulevard area between the side walk and the street. The picture shows the credit union (on the right) which was housed in a gas station (a Shell station...someone please verify that). You cannot tell in the picture but there was a Pure gas station where Fordham and Moross met. The left part of the picture does not reveal if there was a Kroger grocery store or the Calcaterra Funeral home which it was converted into. The widening of 7 Mile made the safety patrol boys job on Rex that more of a challenge and crossing from the blacktop parking lot to church was much more dangerous. There were more lanes to cross and the cars would travel at a higher rate of speed at the Moross bend. "They need to put a crossing light on Redmond and Seven" was a refrain often heard.

7andkelly

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being a boy, clothes were not a big deal at SJS. But I do remember my ties. I went from red bow ties (I still have them), to string ties, to clip-ons to those mod "apache" ties by 72.

Jcole

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the boys were lucky. You just had to wear a certain color pants and shirt, we had to buy a uniform from a specific company, and they were kind of on the expensive side, for the time, so most of us only got one jumper, a couple blouses, and a tie or two. We had to be really careful not to spill on the jumper, because you could only get them dry-cleaned a few times a year, usually during vacation. We'd go in for fittings at the end of summer, and that was it. That's why we had a week or so of 'civilian' clothes at the beginning of the school year, because the uniform company had so little time to fill all the orders from all the schools, they needed extra time. Those things could get pretty stinky if you weren't careful.

7andkelly

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were lucky in that way, but the family clothes budget was wiped out on the girls. We got my confirmation blazer from Robert Halls (the discount "gas pipe rack" place over on Gratiot and Madelline, I think. That was sixth grade, and the jacket very well might have been let out a bit for graduation!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 301
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Robert Hall! I'm sure many in the St. Jude community remember Robert Hall on the south side of 7 Mi just west of Gratiot. Getting a sports jacket or blazer at Hughes and Hatcher at Eastland or Moross/Mack was out of the question....especially for something you grew out of quickly and were only going to wear a few times.

(Message edited by kellyroad on April 07, 2008)

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole- how well I remember the bolero jackets! Didn't we get rid of those snappy ties at the same time? It was quite a leap into the young lady world to be rid of those jumpers.
I will talk to Father Robert about a possible reunion - giving us all time to gather family, former neighbors and relatives to join us. In the meantime, I'll keep everyone posted on church grounds clean-up weekend and other news. There are some new pictures of the web from Easter Vigil -http://www.stjudedetroit.com/h ome.htm

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Sr. Ellen Richard. I remember when she had Jim Denys lay his hands across his desk and she whacked him with one of those black tipped pointers so hard it cracked in two. The broken end bounced off his desk and almost hit the ceiling. I realize we weren't angels but she went overboard on a lot of occasions. Of course you would never go home to complain, because this meant the double whammy effect.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sister Ellen Richard WAS the epitome of a strong task-master! I remember the red faces as little arms held up volumes of encyclopedia books -and little knuckles rapped against the chalkboard - staying within the drawn circles. I also remember having to stand and recite the "times" tables in room 4-100 - and praying, please give me the "5's"

Jcole

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Jim Denys incident, too. And a time when one of the boys got so scared, he wet his pants right at his desk. She was a scary one.

7andkelly

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One Happy Day at School:

There was a school play one year called "The Music Man". Well after the play, one of our teachers got ahold of a couple of the 76 hand made wooden trombones from "the big parade".

Anyway, there was this punk in my class (R.E.) who had been giving me the business, but I would have died before giving him my milk money.

Well one day in the back of the classroom that little punk met up Sr. My Hero and one of those wooden trombones. I don't remember how I stopped myself from laughing myself silly. His crying was the sweet music of justice! I remember thinking, "you got nothin' kid". I whistled that song all the way home: "Seventy-six trombones led the big parade, and Ronald's bones broken along the way."

Kellyroad

Post Number: 302
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: R.E. wasn't part of the Eastwood gang was he?

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No nun was as mean as Sister Ellen Therese. We called her "Bozo" because of her huge nose. My friends and I wrote a song about her to the tune of "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer". It was called "Bozo, the Big Nosed ________". I'm sorry but I can't post the x rated lyrics on this site.

I guess we could be just as mean as her.

7andkelly

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an RK, an RV, an RI and an RG on Eastwood, and a nice kid nicknamed R-Buckle on Saratoga. Not sure where that RE kid was from.

Jcole

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the nickname Bozo. What grade did she teach?

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think 7th......

Kellyroad

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The discussion on plays and songs reminded me of one shining moment under the flood lights. I represented our grade in singing "De Campton Races" in a Stephen Foster play. The props included a painted drawing of a Mississippi River boat by Julius Sawicki from Eastburn (not shown in the above picture). The flood lights from the balcony, the band, the practice, the gym packed.....It felt like Broadway. It's a wonder how the nuns got that many kids prepared for those St. Jude plays/musicals.

Are there any St. Jude play stories?

(Message edited by Kellyroad on April 07, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: My answers to your picture quiz are St. Robert Marie and either Sr. Ann Rochelle or Sr. Treseta Ann for the nun not facing the camera.

Campfiregirl:
1: Nice link to SJ website. Love the history part. Could use some of KR's and others' pictures.

Jcole: On Linhurst was a Bill Sind, a Detroit Police Officer. You guys knew him? His wife was a substitute teacher at the school. Of course, I always expected a little better treatment when she was subbing. Forgot her first name. They had 3 girls and a boy. I think Bill's uncle lived on Saratoga at Redmond.

Jcole

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was the boy Marty Sind? He was in my class.

7andkelly

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The boy was Billy, but now that you mention it, Marty was Joe and I think Betty's son. They're the ones that lived on Saratoga and Redmond.

I'm sure Marty was involved in a few street football games I was in.

Jcole

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I remember my dad mentioning the name Sind, but most of the cops I remember were from my block. Jack Dugan, Marion Hendricks, Pat Bradley, Bob David. My dad was older by the time I came along, and he was fairly high up in the department, and he worked downtown. there were some other policemen down in the next block, but I'm not remembering names right now.