Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through April 09, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talking about the plays the nuns put on, does anyone remember Fr. Ording's anniversary celebration in the gym, where all the classes sang a song to him, or put on some little act? I think our class sang something to the tune of 'Glow little glow worm'
Also, did anyone sing in the choral competition where we went to some school on the west side? One of the songs the older kids sang was 'The Carnival of Venice' and we sang some whaling song and we had a painted boat or whale on stage and wore yellow slickers.

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had Sr. Ellen Therese (Bozo) in the 8th grade.

St. Jude Play memories:

I think I was in grade 5. We were doing the Mexican Hat Dance. My costume pants were too big for me. During the dance, my pants fell down to my ankles. Luckily, I was wearing regular pants underneath. For the rest of the song, I had to hold them up with my hands, The sister playing the piano was laughing her head off.

One year we sang "Surrey With a Fringe on Top".

Another year we did "I'm a Little Carpenter".

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Halloween?

We all used to dress up as Saints or Angels.

I was always St. Francis.

Jcole

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was St. Catherine of Sienna one year. I remember the costume was pink and white stripes. We had to research those costumes and try to make them authentic, and then we wore a different costume for trick or treat, because how many tricks would a saint pull?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Small world: Billy Sind's dad lived next door till the early 60s.. He moved to Lindhurst. It would be Billy's great uncle that lived on Redmond and Saratoga (sorry about the technicality). Anyway all the Sind families had several kids that attended St. Jude in various times probably from the 40s to 70s. A lot of touch football on Eastwood and Saratoga along Redmond by a swarm of mostly St. Jude kids back in the 60s

Actually I'm not sure what nun is in the picture. It could be Sr. Robert Marie but I doubt it. not Sr. Ann Rochelle, or Sr. Treseta Ann. If anyone has an idea please post. (No prize money offered).

Jokerman: Great story about the Mexican Hat Dance!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course weren't celebrating Halloween it was All Saints Day....and we got to parade around the block right by the rectory so Fr. Ording could see.. I also seem to recall that St. Francis was a popular saint to dress up as OR as St Michael. An old bedsheet, sometimes brown dye, and a rope around the waste or an aluminum foiled halo around your head and VOILA! sainthood.

7andkelly

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: When you say it's Billy Sind's great-uncle that lived on Saratoga, are you referring to Billy the policeman or the youngest of the four children (Billy) of the policeman? When I said: "Bill's uncle lived on Saratoga, I was referring to Bill the policeman, the son of Bill Sind from Eastwood between Rex and Redmond (Next to the Ziggenfelder's) which I always thought was Joe's older brother (the father of Marty).

Kellyroad

Post Number: 306
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: You are exactly right. Sr. Leonita should give you a gold star and announce your name over the PA system after prayers.

7andkelly

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Christmas parties in the Gym? I don't know who sponsored it. Could have been Scouts or Dad's Club or the Credit Union or the School/Church itself.

I still have an ornament from a party around '63 or '64 that I got at that event. It's a hollow Santa, about 2 or 3 inches tall. You hang in on your tree, and you can put a miniature light from your tree in the open backpack to make it glow. It always takes me back!

(Message edited by 7andkelly on April 08, 2008)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yea, the Christmas bazaar/party vaguely remember. Wasn't there a Santa Claus there too?

FYI: a post can be deleted or edited by simply clicking on the check box or delete box on the upper right section of the post. I believe you have 24 hrs to do so.

7andkelly

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Santa was there...not that it mattered.

When you have older, non-believing siblings, you don't always get to hang on to Santa very long.

So you say you believe anyway since most of the presents under the tree have his name on them, and well, just in case.

But I think the Bazaars were a Spring or Summer thing. Was the Altar Society involved in that?

Jcole

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the bazaar was in the fall. I know that it was during the school year. The Altar Society ran it along with the Usher's Club, I think. I know the Altar Society ladies had an Easter Monday Card Party every year on the day after Easter (hence the name) which is why I thing the Bazaar may have been in the fall. They liked to spread out the fund raisers so people didn't get tired of spending money on raffles, etc.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All:........here are my Sind recollections........KR......B ill and Catherine lived next to you.......Bill's brother Joe live on Linnhurst (sorta at the end of Rex)......I went to SJ with Jeannie who lived on Saratoga I think on the corner of Redmond (South side)and KR the best curb ball hit for me (which would always flummox you) was the fake and a high hit toward the top of the curb (a single every time.......you couldn't get back fast enough)and Kr some Eastwood triv for you (only because you were with me at the time)........which neighbor yelled at his son (one of the 'little kids') and I'm paraphrasing now "G.D. it! you let everybody and his brother over here to play!"...now this was after either you or I threw a snowball at the other (you or I).......you or I ducked and hit Mr.........right in the head?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 310
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: The Easter Monday card parties... I seem to recall from my mom that Euchre was the game to play and that competition was pretty spirited. Do you recall that the Altar society was divided into circles. There were several circles. I recall the circle just south of the church in the "cherry" section would go to each others homes to pray the rosary. In our home a statue/vase of Our Lady was on the TV set. A dozen or so ladies with beads in their hands would kneel facing the statue and recite the Rosary.

The Ushers always seemed to have a 50/50 raffle, I don't recall the other fund raisers they had.

7andKelly: Since I was the oldest I was told to be very careful not to reveal Santa. In fact it may have been at a St. Jude Christmas festival that I almost spilled the beans to my younger siblings.

7k KID: see you on Eastwood regarding the snowball

Jcole

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, I don't remember anyone praying the rosary at our house, other than us once in a while. My mom's Altar Society friends were more into sewing choir robes, playing cards and cooking for events. Mom was very active in the society and I think they also decorated the church for holidays.

7andkelly

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't May Crowning cool?! A huge event in May. I think it was on Sunday, maybe the first Sunday in May so Mary would have her crown for the whole month.

The parking lot in back of the convent was full, and spilling across Madeleline I'm sure. The whole school was there with parents, and everyone was dressed to a tee.

Would love to have some audio and/or video from one of those great blessed events!

(Message edited by 7andkelly on April 08, 2008)

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The May Crowning was definitely a major event! We always made a May Altar at home - basically a tv table covered in aluminum foil - with a statue of Mary and a vase of fresh lilacs. As a family, we'd kneel and say the Litany around the altar each night and snicker as a brother or sister would try to say "health of the sick" without lisping.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if it was this thread or Eastwood, but I remember mention of the Zajdels. Greg passed away a year ago.

http://www.detroitnewspapers.c om/deathnotices/display.cfm

Zitro

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I guess that link didn't work.

ZAJDEL GREGORY W
March 5, 2007

Age 52, March 3, 2007. Special friend of Lynn Bayer. Dear father of Katie Allen. Dear grandfather of Landon. Beloved son of the late Walter and Anna Zajdel. Dear brother of Fred (Sue) Zajdel. Dear uncle of Justin. Visitation Tuesday 2-9 p.m. with a scripture service Tuesday 7 p.m. at the Wasik Funeral Home, Inc. 11470 Thirteen Mile Rd. (West of Hoover), Warren. In state Wednesday 9:30 a.m. until time of funeral Mass 10 a.m. at St. Edmund Church 14025 Twelve Mile Rd. (between Schoenherr and Hayes), Warren. Expression of sympathy may be shared with the family at www.wasikfuneralhome.com

Jcole

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember picking all of the violets that we could find (usually in the alley behind the house) and setting up a May altar in my bedroom. Blessed Mother statue with a little wreath of violets on her head, vases, rosary, the works.
this thread really brings back memories.

Jcole

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the name Greg Zajdel, but I can't place the person. where did they live?

Zitro

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Linnhurst. Greg sang in the choir until 8th grade. He was a drummer and later played in a local band called Scotch

Zitro

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he graduated with our sisters

Jcole

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is your sister still here, or did she move on? My sister Fran is up near Saginaw now, in Freeland.
BTW, how long ago did you move out to Iowa?

7andkelly

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

North side of Linhurst, closer to Rex than Redmond.

Sad to see him die so young. RIP

Jcole

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm really sorry about your sister. she was too young to go.

Jcole

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, 7 and K, I just read your Frank story again, and I saw that the Axe family lived over on Fordham. Was there a Susan Axe. Little blond, long hair.

Jcole

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the trips to Edgewater for 8th grade class trip. Riding the Himalaya, the roller coaster and the Roundup, running around largely unsupervised and having the time of our, albeit young, lives.

Zitro

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Axe family lived on Liberal just off of Redmond. I believed they were cousins.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fordham Auches lived on the N. side E. of Redmond.......MIke and his sister Barb their dad a cop.........and sorry about Zajdel........he was in my SJ class all the way through...my mom loved to hear him sing....he was cool.