Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through April 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: Did you play in the 8th grade Powder Puff game? I don't remember you being a tomboy.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 308
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curb ball on Eastwood or Redmond was OK. The curbs were curved so a to allow just the right trajectory. Saratoga was out of the question. Their curbs were squared off making it almost impossible to find a "sweet spot". Redmond was used often because it was a side street often times with open spaces. It was however a busier street. I introduced curb ball to my kids and the neighborhood kids about 15 yrs ago. They liked it but it was short lived..Too may organized sports and other distractions. Maybe if there were curb ball leagues and tournaments with official rules, equipment and uniforms it would last. LOL

By the way, the 7K kid can tell you that even with one on one competition singles were allowed (perhaps the rubber ball used was not as lively). The games would sometimes have too many "fakes" (pretending like your going for a homerun then dinking a single) which wasted a lot of time and got the ire of your competition.

(Message edited by kellyroad on April 08, 2008)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I did. I dislocated my knee when Bev (can't remember her last name) tackled me. I wasn't a real tomboy, but you had to act like one to hang out with the boys on my block. I was the only girl my age on the block until Dugan's moved in.I was a dyed-in-the-wool Barbie fan, first and foremost.

Zitro

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerzewski

Jcole

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, Jerzewski.
I take it you were in my class?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Barbies for us manly boys!

Instead we had GI Joe, scores of green army men with weapons pointed or with land mine detectors at the ready. Some of us had Jeeps and artillery pieces. And we would mix in a few cowboy and Indian characters too because we could.

Set 'em up on the porch and let the war begin!

Jcole

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My GI Joe dated Barbie. He was studlier than Ken, with that glued on fuzz for hair and other, noticeably lacking, attributes.

Zitro

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All 8 years as I recall

Jcole

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, can we play twenty questions? :-)
Are you male or female?

Zitro

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Male

7andkelly

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty sure Joe could beat the snot out of Ken.

But before we found out girls had cooties, it was acceptable to play "Sandbox", "Mother May I", "Red Light, Green Light", "Simon Says" and even "House" with girls. "Hop Scotch was out, and so was "Jump Rope", although I remember getting roped into some twirling duty for "Hi Ho Jolly Pepper".

Jcole

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you live north or south of 7 mile? Harper Woods or Detroit?

7andkelly

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is your name Ortiz?

Zitro

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

North in the D

Jcole

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K,
For sure Joe could beat Ken bloody. He was a weeny, that's why I HAD a Joe doll.
On my block, we played army all the time, but I had to be the stupid nurse who dragged the soldiers out of the bushes after they were shot. We also played cowboys and indians, where I got to be tied to the stake throughout the whole game, so the cowboys could rescue me. Even then, you boys had ways of keeping the girls in check :-)

Jcole

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you Jeff Ortiz?

Jcole

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are, I tortured you for six years following you around. never was there such a crush known to God or man

Zitro

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good. Didn't take too many clues. 7andKelly got it first.

Jcole

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see that now. Are you still in the Detroit area? Don't worry, I won't start walking by your house again if you are.

Zitro

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, I seem to recall

Zitro

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're too funny. Actually I live in Ames, Iowa. I couldn't take the threat the city was to my children.

7andkelly

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: It's probably too early to apply for a restraining order, but in the next couple of days, watch for a Blue Dodge Caravan with Michigan plates driving past your home every 10 minutes or so:-)

Jcole

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been through Iowa a couple times in the last few years. (I didn't know you were there, honest)My younger daughter lives in CO. and I've taken the train out a couple times. It's a pretty state, green and lush, but a far cry from Detroit.
So glad to know you're doing well.
You were in the choir until at least 6th grade, weren't you?

Jcole

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a real thing for choir boys. I switched my stalking proclivities from you to Mike Sawicki in 7th grade.That lasted a couple years, at least. May have been a precurser to my affection for rock stars

(Message edited by jcole on April 08, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Philip's older brother

Jcole

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep, Philip and Matt were his younger sibs.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 311
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 and Kelly Kid: to clarify: Bill and Catherine Sind did live next door. Bill's brother Joe lived on Saratoga and Redmond (kids, Joe, Jeanie, Marty etc) Bill and Catherine's son (the police officer) lived on Lindhurst near Rex (Lisa, Paula, Jackie and Billy were his kids who often visited the grandparents next door to us)

The answer to the snowball trivia was Ed Aubrey. I believe Delores still resides in St. Clair Shores. Steve is still in California, and Joyce resides in the local area but not sure. The Aubreys were a great Eastwood family. My family reminisces about them fondly.

Zitro

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ames is a college town (Iowa State) it not too much unlike Ann Arbor in many ways. Just over 50,000 pop. when college is in session. We get a break for few months in the summer with the traffic. People are just about the same though.

7andkelly: Michigan plates stick out like a sore thumb around here so, no worry :-)

7andkelly

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe's youngest was Cathy, about a year younger than Marty. SJ Class of '71 likely.

7andkelly

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Michigan's "thumb" is going to be hurting for some time now. If you look at a U.S. map, it kind of looks like were all looking to hitch a ride out of here!