Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through April 09, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 626
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are retarded...calling for Leylands head...he isn't the guy swinging the bat or thowing a meatball down the middle of the plate... give it up you fair weather fans

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7518
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey waitaminute... who here is seriously calling for Leyland's head?

Did I miss something??

D_mcc

Post Number: 630
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry smog...I guess I took the title of the other thread seriously before I came in here and responded to this one

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 356
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was hilarious that Morgan said Guillen would win a gold glove this year based on a pre-game conversation with him where Guillen basically said he was going to try hard to learn the position. Morgan had not even seen him play. Guillen is very talented but has a habit of being non-chalant on routine plays. He slings throws side arm, his footwork is poor around the bag and he dropped the throw yesterday because he swiped with the glove before he securely had the ball (something you can't do with a big first baseman's mitt where you don't feel the ball as well).
Morgan drives me nuts as well because he repeats himself at least twice after everything he says like we're too stupid to understand the first time.
Going on the road may sound good, but Boston is the last place you want to try to break out of a slump.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're not calling for Leylands head. They're just mentally challenged. Text book cases of chronic denial that permeates their soul.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, what did he mean?

Smogboy

Post Number: 7521
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stotter- did you even read anything about calling for Leyland's head? Did you look at the thread that was started by Lowell about it and the tone it had? Did you miss it as well??

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they play today?

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, the Tigers do not play today, which should allow their fans' redlined shock and awe levels to drop until at least Tuesday afternoon at 2:05 pm @ Red Sox.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on April 07, 2008)

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 602
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These guys just arent hungry at all.. Only the rookies and Inge seem to want to play.. Thats the problem, you put too many big money makers on one roster and they dont care to much,, they have their huge paychecks.. If you mix it with good hungry rookies, the juices start flowing, competitive natures come out..our mix is off key here.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4368
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give it time, they are all proven producers, they will pick it up.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7527
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waitaminute here, Detroitbill... wasn't it just less than a few months ago that we all thought Brandon Inge didn't want to play here and our veteran players were going to carry this team?

I'm not so sure how much the players are even really dogging it because they hit it big with their paychecks. Look at Cabrera who worked out like a madman with Carlos Guillen to shed the pounds and did his pre-season conditioning. This was done well before a huge payday. It's one thing to say they're not playing well but it's another thing to accuse them of sandbagging it and not caring BECAUSE of their paychecks.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is most disconcerting is the poor offensive performances (so far) of Maggs and Polly.

Maggs has averaged <3 pitches per plate appearance, has 0 RBIs/HRs and has not hit the ball hard much, mostly weak popups and lazy fly balls.

Polly is the last Tiger that I would have expected to slump at the plate, .087 BA/OBP.

Miggy looks like he will be threatening to break the record for GIDPs this season.

After a good spring training at the plate, Pudge is now below the Mendoza line, and leads the team in Ks with 6.

Only Inge has more than 2 RBIs.

Oh yeah...Wha choo throwin' at, Willis?

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 359
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think AL teams have enough stats to know how to defend against Polanco now. He hit almost every ball hard but directly into the right side defense the first couple of games against KC.
Not saying he can't still be a .300 hitter but don't expect anything like last yr again unless he's able to make some major adjustments.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goodbye errorless streak for Polanco, resulting in a triple and a run scored by ManRam...

Inevitable....but appropriate considering the Tigers' overall play so far this season.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn...Guillen had his left leg in the first baseline AGAIN for an error...injury just waiting to happen.

D_mcc

Post Number: 641
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That E on polly shouldn't be on him, that was more of Cabreras error for trying to make the tag before he had the ball

Flanders_field

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ohhhh & seven...fold

Good lord.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carlos Guillen is going to end up on the DL if he doesn't figure out what he's doing at first base.
At least 3X today he almost got run over because he was in the base path catching throws at first. He looks totally clueless.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't the Yankees proven that you can't buy a championship? These tiger big hitters have a total of 15 runs in 7 games. So far, this team looks ugly. On sportstalk radio, it was said that no major league team has lost their first 7 games and gone to the playoffs. Also, 82 wins for this team would be considered a disaster. Hope the tigers haven't caught Detoit Lyin'itis.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4378
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I am worried

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4724
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it the overcome the Sports Illustrated curse and win it all, they will have a story to go along with it.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7537
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So when the Tigers do win a game, will the masses come storming back en masse to the point of toppling the bandwagon?

Sid
Username: Sid

Post Number: 494
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trying to figure out the mess that is the 08 tigers, I came up with these theories:

1) I think good baseball teams have a good mix of players playing different roles. You might be the single hitting dude, the base stealer, the crazy playmaker, the hothead, the homerun hitter, etc. but good teams have one of each in their starting 9. The tigers have 8 slow but good hit for average guys, very similar in style. They are all apt to be hot and cold in waves and as a collective. Speed can get you out of slumps too, btw.

2) Typically when trades are made, if you trade for a new starting 1st baseman, to upgrade your previous starter, you typically trade or let the old one go. Nobody wants to work at the place where you were replaced by someone to do your job better. So you have Cabrera at 3rd, and you have Inge looking in on every play thinking, I could have done that better. And Renteria at short, and Carlos thinking, I could have done that better. Guillen at 1st and Thames thinking, I could have done that better.

Also - you are counting on people you replaced from their "natural positions" for not being "good enough" to exceed "not being good enough" at new positions. Guillen: Inge: Cabrera. There's a reason Cabrera was in left field for the most part.

3) 4 out of 9 position players are new, for a team that was only 8 games out and went to the world series the year before. Perhaps Skip should have played them more in the spring.

4) The bullpen is worse than last year (and they were bad last year). The two games the tigers have had a chance to be in so far: Game 1 (tied 4:4 in the 10th) and Game 4 (tied 5:5 in the 6th) were lost by the bullpen. No surprise there.

5) Teams know how to defense polanco at the plate now. They are playing softball style defense to protect the holes and bloops.

Thoughts?

D_mcc

Post Number: 651
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think granderson Missing is a big part of it. Without that lead off man getting on base allowing for the batters behind him to move him forward it is stalling the offense big time. CG provides a pop in his bat and makes plays happen, once he comes back, I think things will start falling into place. Maybe Bondo will pitch well tonight...who knows...The way I feel...the tigers offense is like a powderkeg...and we keep striking the matches but not getting enough of a spark to set it off. Once we finally do...it will explode...thats just how I feel.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beldar gets his second consecutive error in as many games, after 911 errorless chances.

Was a potential inning ending DP ball that cost two runs.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes, 2 to zip, bottom of third. Roar tigers Roar. please?

Flanders_field

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carlos takes his foot off the bag for another error in game 8, just flat out sloppy baseball being played.

Ex-Tiger Casey gets two hits so far, Tigers team has all of o-n-e!!

1B Casey lucks out...the first base umpire calling Maggs out on a close play, but he was safe, the ball was caught after Maggs touched 1st base. Casey's tip of his shoe also may barely have been in contact with the bag if at all.

Karma...

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hallelujah! They can score! 4-2 after a Renteria double and a Thames home run.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTG Thames!!

Nice try on the sinking liner to deep and far left field as well.

Wow...almost a triple play by the Tigers...when was the last one..1968??