Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through April 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6277
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61, jjaba suggests you Google
Second Avenue and Henry Street. Then, widen your stance and see which side of Woodward Avenue you are on. Left of Woodward Avenue on a map would be West.

jjaba, Cass Tech. Printer Class of '59.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: It was just a thought.......How long did GB live on Northlawn with you ? because it has tainted his thought processes....and sometimes he slips mentally with his support for westsiders....he is out this morning digging worms for the fishing trip - did you pick up the Strohs????

Jjaba

Post Number: 6280
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, the curious ways of Eastsidrs. No, jjaba is practicing on the violin for the symphony.
Valter Poole once told jjaba that he could never find one good orchestra player on the Eastside.
"All's they know over there is fishin' and huntin' and schitt like that." But he loved your Kielbasa.

jjaba will check with his father to see if GB ever lived in the downstairs flat on Northlawn. He doubts it.

jjaba, but he loved your Kielbasa.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Just check with GB......the poor lost soul still wants to find SJ who he claims he took to a prom at Denby......One is not always sure about the accuracy of GB's tales......

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Orchestra no...polka bands, yes. There were countless good polka bands on the Eastside...accordion players and all. I don't suppose Mr. Poole considered an accordion for the orchestra.

Det: Ah...the Duchess Drive Inn...what a great place...could have been the setting for "American Graffiti". I heard that ES was arrested there one night...he and SH were in the backseat sans...when someone called the cops.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6283
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on now, the Summer Pops of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Valter Poole was no Lawrence Welk Dakota barn dance, featuring Myron Florin and Lawrence, his-bad-se-f.
These were light classics under the stars at the Band Shell, Detroit Fair-a Grounds, 100 pieces strong.

It is possible that Eastsiders went there, but jjaba was not yet a professional demographer yet. Too young.

jjaba, fiddling while Detroit.........

Eastside61

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Fiddling with what? Well.....Please don't tell us we already know the answer......Hows your eyesight these days after you fiddled??

I know that GB fiddled at WMU...in his dorm room late at night....

did Miles Davis have someone playing a violin ???? I guess that real music was listened to on the Eastside....but you older guys like that Lawrence Welk White Guy stuff....Ah one and Ah two...

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Denby made the news tonight...re: women shot outside Denby by two young men....wow, the worst thing besides hosing up in driver's training at Denby, would be getting caught with a j......this is so sad....my friend can take me by the schools he went to in Indiana and they are still well kept, safe and filled with happy memories instead of death and attempted murder....Destruction, Denby and the Death of Detroit.....I guess all there is that is good are the memories of days gone by from Denby and the other schools from the Detroit I once loved.......

Goblue

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: I sorta remember some sort of music in the background on Belle Isle when I was fiddlin' with SE59...was that you on your accordion?

ES: Wrong! At WMU I was fiddlin' with NS in the Black '60 Olds convertible that her daddy bought for her as a HS graduation present...there was a great spot on a hill near the Kzoo College campus that overlooked WMU...we could sit up there with the top down and listen to Wolfman Jack out of Chicago.

Brenda: We have to hold to our memories of the Eastside...the reality of today is too ugly to contemplate...my wife is a Hoosier (whatever that is)...from Richmond...her family is still there...the HS there is known as a "drop out factory"...not all is well in the heartland.

I know that ES dreams daily of his dalliance with SH, SF...and who knows how many others...its all part of the Eastside...and being a TAR.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6289
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leonard B. Smith played cornet and fronted the Detroit Concert Band. He made a ton of records.
He played a couple of concerts at week at the Band Shell on Belle Isle.

jjaba's family would drive over there once in a while. It was really lovely, with the freighters rolling by us. Usually, kids could get a Toasted Almond ice cream bar from the Good Humor Man.

jjaba, Westside Memories.

jjaba, 1950s in Detroit.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: redemption is possible...."Toasted Almond" Good Humor favorites...........once again an Eastside Treat......

Brenda: I would love to hear more stories of your experiences at CT and SE.....since living on Marlborough and attending to distinctly different schools......SE in those days was in such flux...the white community that was left in the neighborhood did not attend SE...St Martins, St. Ambrose, Austin and all the rest. The Black middle class was headed to NW detroit area and then the beginning of the urban prairie started....your story is vital for the book.....we will have a Gar Wood section.....wasn't the bridge that lead to his place on avondale????

and GB cruisin in the White Ford.......and then there was his nervous breakdown in 63......but that is another chapter.....

ES61 - Totally Eastside and the Foot of Lakewood.......

Goblue

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: That was no breakdown in '63...it was my marriage to SE59...however, it definitely was a mental lapse!

I hope Brenda will share her tales...she has a prespective that the rest of us lack...although your teaching experience is invaluable to telling the story...my view from Warren was seriously lacking in terms of understanding what was occurring on the Eastside...although dealing with the wave of White flight and the mores that came with it was an enlightening experience. I started a small riot in the neighborhood of the school where I was principal by lowering the flag to half mast when M.L. King was murdered. Central office was flooded with calls...they called and ordered me to put the flag back up...I told them that if they "wanted the f___ing flag back up they'd have to come out and do it" themselves...no one did.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB and Brenda: The Freep had an on line article about another DPS mess on the eastside.....Joy Jr HS at Warren and Fairview actually where the SE Tennis Team held their matches was featured at being abandoned since last June and how it was not secured and totally vandalized....the 30 photos are a sad commentary about the growth of the Sewer by the Seaway that was once called Motown....

GB: Again a TAR with morals stood his ground on April 5th the day after.....Good for you! It was a very hectic day at SE the day after....with students roaming the halls and chaos in the neighborhood when school was finally cancelled.......SE in those days had about 2800 students......A sad day in America only to be followed in June with the death of RFK......

Goblue

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I continue to be impressed with your commitment and courage...you made major contributions back to the Eastside. I remember just leaving our house in HW to drive to work...hearing the report on the radio of Kennedy killed and trying to figure out why they were replaying the story of JFK...then it hit me. I think a piece of my belief in America died on that day also...I'm feeling it come back...I guess the eastside instilled that sense also...the teachers at Columbus, leaders of Troop 706...parents...they all believed in a better day for our country. We have to believe today...we can't get much lower.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: BObama is the message of change and hope that got all shot up in the 60's.........

ES 61 : Totally influenced by the Motown Experience

Goblue

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: SMcC-T and I will be working hard...phone banking, knocking on doors...doing all we can to turn out the vote. I agree, BObama is the voice of change...we do not need more of the divisiveness of the Clinton-Bush years...the answer to issues is always found in the middle.

I definitely learned that bargaining with teachers' unions...how important it was to leave something on the table so that everyone left with dignity. When both the board and the union were pissed at me I knew I'd done a good job. I think the primary lesson for that came from Mrs. Hahn when she stressed to the boys in the 5th grade that snapping bra straps was not nice. I never snapped another one...dignity was important.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb: Mrs Hahn.....snapping bras......were you guys snapping hers?

What did you guys do in sixth? No snapping but you did get your MA in "Bra Removal Standards for HS Graduation Requirements"

In regards to BO we will be doin' the same......I am getting nervous...since JFK, MLK, RFK, Vince Foster, and I am sure others have not made it......I am too paranoid not to think that things could still happen between now and denver....

Goblue

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I agree...it scares me too...this gun nut society that we live in is dangerous...if it were to happen I would step up my argument to SMcC-T that its time to head for Costa Rica...that was my plan before I met her...she is far more rooted than I...largely for family reasons...I don't feel much a part of this society much anymore.

GOOD LORD!! Snap Mrs. Hahn's! Have you completely lost your mind? Howsomeever...Sharon D., Martha S., Mary Ann McF...among others may have suffered such teasing...that was before we all learned that UNsnapping was far more fun.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: The Dem Party and the leadership group needs your guidance...
so you can't bail - What if Renee Morris wants to meet you in the high desert of AZ.......???? Tango keeps wonderful secrets!

Goblue

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You claim that Renee Morris was a reality...I have a hard time believing that I would have overlooked such a fox...especially one living near Roseanne or Peggy...although I never dated either.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6294
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba never ever worked another ML King birthday even before the Holiday was put forth. Nice to learn that Goblue lowered the flag on a Warren, Michigan school when Dr. King was shot. He helped bring Warren into America that day.

Today, probably the school district has educational programs about the civil rights struggles and the text books for many grades are loaded up with that history.

jjaba.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Westsiders actually held jobs.....I guess so! anyways GB wrote this little phrase during HS about westsiders .....

"That's all right... That's that's OK... There going to work for us someday" Great writing GB......you got it right
ES61 - Still jamin and still rockin....

Goblue

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Actually Jjaba was a hard worker at WMU...along with being the gate keeper for the mail and phone calls in Ellsworth Hall. It paid to treat him well.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6298
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue, so true, jjaba served the people, and he worked for you.

Eastside61, just for fun, jjaba's a working fool,
till the job gets done, working for you.

Your little ditty must be something you learned on the golf course in Grosse Pointe. Never hear anything like that on the Westside of Detroit.

jjaba, honorary Denby.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Don 't be late for work......

ES61 - Honorary Dexter Bus ....

Goblue

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba...yer suppose to be retired...smell the roses!

ES: You too...feed Gretta and Violet...just don't bend over while yer doing it!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: G and V (the goat) worship you..... i have discussed with them about false idols and such.

J: so you worked behind the desk in the dorm... then you got your degree BS for sure...from WMU in Bus Driving and then spent from 1961 until 1995 driving the Dexter Bus and working nights at the print shop..... GB is right.... You need a vacation... Maybe Brenda can arrange a weeks stay at the Gar Wood mansion

Goblue

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: For sure the goat may worship...especially if I show up with a bucket of feed...SE59 and I have a somewhat less than cordial relationship...36 years later and she can't let go of it.

I think maybe the Gar Wood Mansion would be over the top for Jjaba...its one thing to take him fishing at the foot of Lakewood...a whole 'nuther issue to take him to the mansion...I don't have that much valium for him.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: The social activist and dooo gooder claimed in front of a circuit court judge that he had not been within 20 mile of Denby High School......if so, that means he grew up in Inkster or Willow Run....maybe we can fish for a while and then set him a drift in an 8" row boat so that he can travel to Cleveland

Goblue

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: If he didn't make it all the way to Cleveland...at least to River Rouge...or Toledo. I spent a week in Toledo one night...when I was on faculty at Bowling Green State.