Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Where are all the Denby Tars? » Where are all the Denby Tars? - Archives » Where are all the Denby Tars? - 2 » Archive through April 04, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Didn't know about the softball games...too bad because I was living just a few blocks away. But...during those summers I was taking classes fulltime at U-M...commuting to A2 daily...finished my M.A. in Aug. '65 while SE59 and I were living in the one bedroom Harper Woods-Kingsville St. apartment. My sister was a teacher at Marquette during those years. She still lives in GPW.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Softball almost nightly.....and Strohs as mentioned above...and it was JUST a nice place to hang out.....What grade did your sister teach?

Goblue

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: CTMcD taught early elementary grades...4th grade at one time...but I think 2nd most of the time. She spent all but a few years of her career at Marquette even though she hated much of it...I tried to talk her into joining me in WW in the '60's but she couldn't do it...change is not in her makeup. She's a TAR '51...EMU '55. Talked to her a month ago...she'll be 75 in April...still subbing a couple of days a week in the GP Schools. She considers me the "black sheep of the fammmaly".

Eastside61

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Bah Bah.......I just figured that you were an OLD goat.....pretty funny if you ask me.....There was stuff over the years that I didn't like but Hating it never happened....Second children like you and me were always considered different.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Well...you and I weren't just "considered" different...we were different. I always knew it and the family constantly reinforced that belief. My life hasn't exactly been Lutheran textbook and yet, I had a modicum of success...which further reinforces my sister's thoughts...she thinks I should have had to pay for my sins in this life. Although to tell the truth I really think deep down she's somewhat envious. She shouldn't have been in the classroom...she's rigid, controlling, unaccepting of differences...lacks the skills that a good DPS teacher needs. She seems to enjoy GP.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - we can pick our friends but not our family......and redemption is possible......I tried to convince S Fishman that and she only laughed......(just kidding---although it would have been sooooo cool to try to convince her).....so lets continue to redeem each other and forgive those who just don't understand us! I might even try to forgive Jjaba the Polka disc jockey someday soon...

Goblue

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Amen to that! Although I don't necessarily consider those with whom I share DNA to be family...a few...but certainly not all. Those friends to whom I'm closest have no DNA resemblance (that we're aware of anyway)...but they are indeed family...love, respect and concern are all shared...as is willingness to assist in times of stress. None of those characteristics would not be true of most of those with whom I share DNA.

I am so sorry to hear of your failed efforts re: SF...obviously she wasn't a Methodist! lol

Eastside61

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - GPS' results for your former girlfriends: Sharon T has left FLA to return to SCS or GPW.......I hope she drives past the
Blue Spruce......SJ data on hold and in the top left drawer....It is available for a price! Oh, I better get back to Itunes an continue to download my Turkish Polka Violin music.....who is that nerd???? Oh...that's right a WESTsider !

Goblue

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yada, yada, yada...blah, blah, blah...I am anxious to see you dancing a Turkish polka with SH, SF...or...your choice.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Remember that some of us white guys can actually dance and then one adds the black and tan experience with the DPS at SE....and then the west coast cultural experience....and then two daughters who love to dance with dad....this has had an influence on me.......I will let you slow dance with polka boy who wears the DSR uniform ......SH and others I have known like to........????? go to itunes and download Listen here/ Cold Duck time" Pancho Sanchez....even you would get up off your duff and join us on the dance floor.... go there now!

Goblue

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Play that funky music white boy! I will admit that your cultural experiences far exceeded mine in terms of learning to dance...I was far better at the slow stuff...cheek to cheek...hand on butt when allowed...memories of the Jan. '59 prom.

(Message edited by GoBlue on April 01, 2008)

Detroitgig
Username: Detroitgig

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders-Field
The hit you're referring to was at Aladdin
Cleaners on Gratiot and Houston-Whittier.
It was a car bomb. The guy lost his legs.
I grew up on Wilfred, one block from Flanders
and the first house off of Gratiot.
Our park was Flanders field on Flanders and Gunston.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you two ever thought about using AIM? Just a suggestion. Carry on.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor:
I said the same thing 4 months ago. Fw:

Eastside61

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor & Glenfield: Are you Denby grads? GB needs friends so join us with your Denby Stories....Even Jjaba the westside dexter bus driving clown is an honorary TAR....who wants to culturally enrich his life and plans on going fishing with GB and myself....do you guys want to go?......just to see Jjaba break out in a cold sweat is worth the whole fishing trip.....Always remember that Jjaba went to an Eastside HS..........GB still has a warrant out for some misdeeds on the EASTSIDE......have a little fun along the way, too!

Goblue

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee...was it only 4 months that we heard from Glenfield...seems like longer...insignifcance fades readily.

We're gearing up for the fishing trip off Lakewood...a doc friend has given me a handful of Valium for Jjaba...you're right ES...seeing Jjaba cross Woodward will be worth the price of the ticket...maybe we could blindfold him like we do the horses when they're terrified of something. BTW...the statue of limitations has run out on MY sins...but...I heard that Bill H's youngest cousin has vowed to gain revenge for the H family...I'd be nervous if I were you.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa GB: don't sell out Jjaba like you had planned to do....I might need him when I go into hiding from the H family. I am so glad you told me...I first thought that I could hide in the Fordham cellar buy the home was leveled ......so I will have to live with Jjaba....I wonder if he will stop for me when I need a ride on the Dexter bus before going into hiding....????? I will throw away all my jazz Cd's and carry a violin and start mumbling turkish phrases.....

Maybe bbrink could do a make over and I could look like jjaba and try to learn the westside lingo......they did always talk funny on the westside....except for Sheila Fishman......

Goblue

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Not to worry...Jjaba is safe and well...I am certain that he would be willing to rent the lower flat in his building to you...I wouldn't have BB alter you to look like Jjaba though...the word is that Sheila F is still looking for him...imagine her shock if she found YOU!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: it is to bad that J boy does not read this thread and all the important info that it has provided to Glenfield and others.....

What done "Well" mean about Jjaba.....he is breathing...right????

Goblue

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Well...Glenfield is an ersatz Eastsider...at least Jjaba takes his honorary appointment seriously...I do feel sorry for the poor guy though...getting him to cross Woodward is sorta like getting Tango to cross a chest deep river on the mountain...a few good jabs in the ribs and he'll move forward.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Great idea....lets put a bit in Jjaba's mouth and we can pull the reins .......

Bulletin: The City of Detroit has declared that Glenfield is now considered a westside street.....I think on google earth you can find it next to Northlawn or Sussex....jjaba will know.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I saw that declaration also...Glenfield is definitely on the westside...the street to nowhere!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Start formulating your questions for the June LA CSI symposium......Maybe you and Tango should head west ....

Goblue

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Naw...west heads into the NV desert...and then CA...which might fall off into the Pacific any day now...best to head north...into the mountains where there is water at least. Besides...I'm started to wonder about the CSI.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gb: You started drinking that westside water offered by your cousin Jjaba.....????? CSI is in the with the In Crowd....

There is water in Arizona....? There is water in MI for sure ...remember that bush the spinal cord still wants to send it to you!

Goblue

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Well...the fact that the CSI was able to ID SJ bestows upon them some measure of validity...plus they are TAR's...howsomeever...they're also Spartans...if SH were part of the group it would be a different story.

I am still amazed that some of the local fools actually believed the spinal cord when he told them that his administration would build a pipeline to bring water from the Lakes to the desert.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: You can always trust a MSU Spartan....... even if they were unfortunate to live on the westside ... SH will be located and what about SF and BAO and LAN.....Oh! I know where LAN is located these days.....what can I say.......better JUST to keep my mouth shut.....whoa....I need to talk to Tango.....how much an hour????

Goblue

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: BAO? LAN? Those are new ones! Let me turn my collar around and hear your private confession here on DetroitYes.

You're always welcome here in AZ...the house has a private suite...we'll take a ride into the mountains...Tango listens but never talks...he's known as our "brain child"...too smart for his own good...when he seriously disagrees with a direction he has been known to flip his heels...I can always predict him thus preventing a disaster...although he did put me in the dirt a few years ago...SMcC-T was ready to sell him to a French restaurant when that happened... Cinnamon the 23 year old TWH mare is a better choice for a comfortable and consistent ride.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I think that you should name your next horse Glenfield.... I just hauled 20 bales of alfalfa to the barn this afternoon.....since the truck cannot back up to the barn which makes for about a 100' run....but Greta and Violet the goats are happier and it will last for over a year..... they have your pic in their stall, Demo of the Year bio.tacked to the stall door....Super TAR plague and winner of the Blue Spruce Award framed and mounted....."U be big round here"

Goblue

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Hmmmmm....SE59's name is Violet...surely it can't be one and the same!?! I've always heard that men are men in San Jose...and the goats are nervous.

20 bales! I'm impressed! We feed alfalfa and timothy cubes...decent hay is something like $15/bale here...cubes are just a little more expensive per pound but a hell of a lot easier to handle...they come in 50 lb. sacks...we're part of a local coop that buys a truck load at a time. A ton lasts us seven weeks.