Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through April 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7548
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S'far so good... keep it up Bondo! Let's get this accursed winless monkey off of our backs NOW.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 254
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Tigers!

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 282
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats to Ivan (Pudge) Rodriguez for hit # 2500 tonight!!

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Boys of Summer are back. 155-7, here we come.

(Message edited by knocturnal on April 09, 2008)

Smogboy

Post Number: 7554
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay... who swallowed a little harder in the 9th watching Todd Jones? Regardless of how "exciting" he can make a game, we still managed to get on track now with this win.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 283
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A monkey was just spotted running out of the visitors' dugout tonight at Fenway...

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 805
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank god!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4391
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I predict the Tigers score 10 runs today!

They will relax and play with the skills they have!

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 652
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go by Sparky's age old motto...Don't judge a team until game forty....

I'm gonna be bold and say after 40 games...the tigers will have between 25-30 wins. By the way, Cruceta was just cleared by customs! MIDDLE RELIEF! FINALLY!

Flanders_field

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Breaking News:

Maggs hits his FIRST HR (solo) of the season and as a result also gets his FIRST RBI as well in game 9!!

What took ya so long????

Flanders_field

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ManRam...Bam!!

6-3

Tigers looking like they will fall to 1-8 tonight.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Casey at the bat puts it pretty much out of reach, 8-3.

Ironic how Sean was ice cold at the plate for the Tigers last April, taking over a month to finally climb over the Mendoza line..

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is really frustrating

Flanders_field

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NINE walks=12-6!

Tigers RP blows chunks.

This team is now in deep doo-doo, esp. in the late innings, not to mention their MIA DL duo of Zumaya and Rodney.

Crucial Cruceta??

Flanders_field

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers are not close to fielding a contending team, much less a competitive one with the BP as it is currently staffed.

IF both Rodney and Zumaya can return later this season, (and the jury is out on that) the team could likely be far out of contention by then.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not place that much hope in Rodney or Zumaya. Especially Zumaya. Zumaya was a fluke, a fastball cannot be the only pitch you throw. Zumaya is the Darren McCarty of this team. He is a fan favorite and gets fired up, but not a whole lot of substance. We are am overpaid, bad baseball team.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been on this forum for probably 6 weeks. Specifically came back to see what the Tigers chatter was. Seems the assessment is the same as mine.

This team looks lame out there. Almost as if they see themselves on paper and figure they don't have to try cause the next guy up to bat can swing an even bigger stick. Then nobody does anything.

To be totally honest, this team is NOTHING like that 06 team. Sure they didn't have superstars, but what they had were a bunch of guys, hungry to win, who honest to god seemed to love to be at the park together. I look at this team and I see the GD NY Yankees. Bunch of really talented guys, stepping all over each other, while nobody is stepping up besides the guy they wanna get rid of (Inge). Who the hell thought he'd be the best player on this team??? Not I. And I really do like the guy. His hitting has always been a little suspect, but IMHO he was a straight up stud at 3rd. His fielding would often leave me shaking my head.

To me, its a chemistry thing and a "we're so good we're gonna win anyway" thing.

Then add to it the kick-ass pitching of 06 has wilted into guys who can't give more than 5-6 MEDIOCRE innings, plus a bullpen that strikes zero fear into opposing batters, and the whole thing stinks of the 1-8 mess that it is.

I'm sorry to say it, but I gotta say, this team is done. 2 weeks into the season. By the time they figure out what to do, or the bats finally wake up (ignoring the pitching), they're gonna be too far behind Cleveland, and possibly the White Sox, to ever have a shot at the playoffs.

There's a reason the Yankees don't win the championship every year despite having an amazing on-paper team. The Tigers had heart, chemistry, and desire in 2006. Now they're the Detroit Yankees. Throw a bunch of superstars together and that's what you get.

I'm kinda pissed at myself for buying into the hype.

Of course I'll end up completely wrong a month from now. But I have seen pretty much nothing that tells me these guys are going to be in the playoff hunt.

Disgusting really. And Leyland not getting angry about it really bugs me to. The time was a good 4 games ago to give them a real chewin about knockin off the grab-ass.

Sorry, I think they're done.

Meanwhile the supremely excellent Red Wings once again seem to have a fairly lame crowd with lots of empty seats for a playoff game. Too bad Hockeytown is dead too. What happened to those crazy Wings fans I remember?? What happened to the Joe being one of the feared crowds to play in front of? And why isn't ownership putting butts in those seats, no matter what??

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I know, is that the first symptom of the dreaded Lyin'itis mentioned in an earlier post, is that the seasons over after it barely starts. Please, please, Tigers, find a cure fast. At this rate, what will be the record after 40 games? Statistically it would be exactly 5 wins and 35 losses. Roar, Tigers roar, and roar fast. We don't need 2 shit teams out of 4 in Detroit. At least we have the Pistons and Wings. Scooter2k7, I hope you are wrong about about the Tigers, being a bad team. We need some luck and wins quick.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 292
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

90's Avalanche vs Wings>>>>>>>>00's Preds vs Wings, IMO.

The strike, watered down league, and the failure of the Red Wings to advance to the SCF not to mention often past the first rounds since '02 has had an effect on attendance.

The Tigers became the new Motown surprise sensation in '06, reviving the long dormant fans' excitement who were old enough to remember the '68 and/or '84 championships, and also created new bandwagon fans, many of whom could not name the manager of the team before Leyland.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5826
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 652

Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 9:10 am: I go by Sparky's age old motto...Don't judge a team until game forty....

I'm gonna be bold and say after 40 games...the tigers will have between 25-30 wins. By the way, Cruceta was just cleared by customs! MIDDLE RELIEF! FINALLY!

It's easy to post that. But bold? It's more like being just plain stupid...

A 0.600 team usually leads the league, let alone their division. To get to 25 wins alone of the first 40 would be playing 0.625 from day one, and winning the next 24 after playing 9 games would take playing at a 0.774 clip. And forget about anything higher, such as winning 26 to 30 games.

Just to illustrate how difficult it would be to be at 30 games won by game 40, the Tigers would need to play 29-2 for the next 31 games. Again, predicting that is even dumber than being merely stupid. It's major-league brain dead!

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was anyone at the game tonight at Fenway?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6079
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh great, now Willis is injured. Time to lean a little harder on that bullpen. Oh, wait, that's right... OH WELL!

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5832
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there any playoff talk in Detroit at this point? In order to get a wild-card berth, the Tigers would need to play something like 0.560 ball (win 91 games). How likely is that?

Notice how few Tiger posts there are now on DY as compared to the preseason. That pretty much answers it.

How much effect would this dry spell have on the season's attendance? Especially when considering that there very likely will be zero prospects of getting a wild card.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7563
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay the bullpen's been besmirched enough times now. Let's be fair and at least give it up to them when they do well now. Guys like Lopez and Grilli (yes, THAT Jason Grilli!) did amazingly well in the frosty climes of Chicago tonight. They battled pretty well against the likes of the Sox. Bautista did fine and Todd Jones struck out two in the bottom of the 9th for his first save.

It looked as though the bats started warming up in that cold weather for us. Let's hope Dontrelle's injury isn't going to be a long lasting one. It looked pretty bad on replay though; we can only hope.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 293
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great game pitched almost completely by the Tigers BP last night on a cold, wet, and windy night in Chi-town.

Clete Thomas continues to swing a hot bat, and made a great throw from LF to nail Dye trying to get a double.

How are they gonna send him back down to the farm, now that he's seen MLB?

That said, Willis really looks like he is going to turn out to be a multi-million dollar bust for the Tigers, hope I'm wrong...

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 618
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the post (quoting Sparky) to the effect let's evaluate at game 40.

Then we can panic, if need be.

(Message edited by emu steve on April 12, 2008)

Smogboy

Post Number: 7567
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Despite our less than stellar start, we're only 4.0 games out of first place. That sort of ground is easily made up with a sweep here or a sweep there. It does seem to look as though the pitching is starting to solidify somewhat and the potent paper bats have also become solid again.

The best thing throughout all this is that Jim Leyland didn't panic and start juggling the line-up around trying to find the solution. He had faith in his players that they'd right the ship. Seeing the skipper having faith has got to instill some trust within the team. Leyland's seen a fair amount of baseball in his years and while this may not be his best start ever, his baseball acumen knows that it's a long season.

In a weird round about way, the time off for Willis could actually do his game some good. I kind of got the feeling he was pretty excited to be here with this bunch of guys. His interviews on the radio have almost made him seem giddy with excitement at times. I know he's somewhat of a pretty engaging sort of guy but maybe he just needs to be around the team, relax a little and try not to put so much pressure on himself just yet to be the man. Maybe (just maybe) he's putting too much pressure on himself and just over pitching? Not sure, but if he is laid out for awhile- I hope it does him good and he comes back strong and with much better control than what we've seen in his first few starts and Spring Training.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 363
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Until our starters can last more than 4 innings, I wouldn't say the pitching is solidifying itself at all. Last night Contreras was struggling. Still there he was, the 5th starter, pitching in the 7th inning, having only given up 3 runs. Have any of our starters been around in the 7th this year?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5841
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Despite our less than stellar start, we're only 4.0 games out of first place.

Four games out after ten games is major (not major league, though). If continued for a full 162-game season, if their division kept playing at the current rate, the Tigers would be more than 64 games out of first--and probably a bit out of wild-card reach...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4594
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night was pleasantly surprising, thanks the the bullpen. Let's sweep these damn Sox and get back on track.