Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through April 11, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe there was another brother John, graduated in 71' Mike was one of the coaches of the Jets football team in 70'

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an Axe girl on Fordham, I think a year or two older than me. The name Susan rings a bell, but I am not 100% sure.

Nice girl. A little bit of a Tomboy at times. Use to play baseball with us once in a while. From what I can remember, she could really hit the ball, run, throw...all that. Definitely not the last person picked by a captain.

Remember how the captains decided who got to pick a player first? Toss the bat to the other captain, then take turns hand over hand up the bat until there was no room left. Sometimes "bottle caps" counted, and sometimes not.

You sure trigger a lot of old memories!

7andkelly

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&kkid might have the correct spelling.

He's been mostly spot on so far.

Zitro

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes the last guy would have to grab the knob and the other would try to kick it out of his grip and then they would get fist pick

Zitro

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Achs, just looked it up on the official 1968 Wish Egan Little League guide.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Wish Egan over by State Fair and Gratiot somewhere, or am I thinking of another park?

Zitro

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 4 blocks west of Gratiot

Zitro

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers might finally win a game!

Jcole

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure it's only the beginning of a great pennant race!
I do remember you being quite the baseball lover back in the day.

Zitro

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never lost my love for it except for a few years after the last strike in 94. I get Detroit FSN on my satellite so I get all the Pistons, Red Wings and Tigers games that are on it.

Jcole

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the 94 strike really gutted things for awhile. It took a long time for baseball to rebuild after that. It seems to be back at last.

Zitro

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally!! Todd (Heart attack) Jones closes it out

Jcole

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the road to the pennant :-)

Jcole

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you guys see the new thread that says St. Jude school to close?
Campfire, what have you heard?

7andkelly

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the church still have the old confessionals?
It was always kind of cool how the kneeler would trip a switch to turn a little light on outside above the door.

It was dark in there, and you spoke in a low voice and/or whispered. I never had the feeling Father knew who he was speaking with in the next room.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all-
Yes, the old St. Jude School is closing. Don't have any new details----sad news....All the more critical that we keep St. Jude Church thriving.
To 7&K, yes, the confessionals are still there - but when Fr. Ray made all the internal changes, he removed the lights on the outside. One side of the confessional provides the brave new world of 'face to face' - and the other - the mysterious low whispered voice confessional style.

7andkelly

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of these fine days I will show up and see it all for myself. I wish the doors didn't have to be locked during the day. Visitation was always encouraged. It was, and still is, a source of grace.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Memories of confession: The long lines from the confessionals on the BVM side all the way to the center aisle in church during Lent. 4 priests hearing the confessions of school kids for hours. The long lines of going to a favorite priest vs. the shorter line of going to a slower or "less popular" priest.

7andkelly

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were 3 confessional rooms for priests on the BVM side, and 2 rooms on the Sacristy side. The 2 on the Sacristy side were for the pastor (S side) and a visiting priest (N side). I can't say I remember all five confessional stations open at the same time, but conceivably it was possible, especially during Holy Week.

I'm sure Sr. Ann Rochelle said it was improper to listen in on others' confessions. I'm pretty sure it's a sin. But sometimes you would be in the confessional and you would hear the unlowered voice of the person opposite Father's room, or you would be in the pew next in line to go in, and you would hear some loud mouth through the door. So I'm like trying to block it all out of my head thinking: "LALALALA, BABABABA, please lower your voice and hurry up and get out of there, LALALALA, BABABABA, because I can hear everything you're saying and I've got enough guilt of my own, LALALALA, BABABABA, and I've got enough trouble trying to remember my own sins without you adding another one by making me hear your confession, LALALALA, BABABABA!"

Jcole

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was very young, 2nd, 3rd grade, I remember making up sins so I had something to say at the once a week confessions we had to make.

Jcole

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there anyone else who had Sr. Daniel Michael in first grade who can still say their alphabet forward and backwards? That is one thing I have NEVER forgotten. At the beginning of the year,she said we would be able to recite the alphabet backward and forward, and she meant it, literally.
I used to have to say it forward first, but now I can do it backward from z. This actually got me out of a drunk driving ticket back in the day.The cop was speechless.

7andkelly

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not me. I wrote mine down on looseleaf paper, and brought a small flashlight into the confessional.

Okay, that was a lie.

Did you ever have to mention "forgetting to mention something during the last confession?"

But remember part of the confession was stating "My last confession was _________ ago." I always worried I wouldn't get that exactly right, and thus, another sin.

Jcole

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you ever have to mention "forgetting to mention something during the last confession?"

Only when I was older, and then there were REAL sins to confess to, sometimes too many to remember

7andkelly

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: What room number was Sr. Daniel Michael? I was in Rm 104 with Sr. Maura Patrick.

Jcole

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rm. 102 One of the two end rooms. The one that face 7 Mile.
Did you have reading groups in your room? I remember the St. Joseph group, the Blessed Mother group, and the Baby Jesus group.
I was a good reader, I was in Baby Jesus.

Jcole

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andk, can I assume by your question that you were in my grade??

Zitro

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: Remember our 8th grade graduation rehearsal for the mass? I think they either ran out of time or didn't have enough priests. Whatever the case, they let us do our own confession. Well, that was it for me going into the confessional. I figured if it was good then it would be good always.

7andkelly

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

104 was right next to 102 along the 7 Mile side, across the hall from 103 which was a 2nd grade room. 101 was next to 102 away from 7 Mile, and 105 was the other 1st grade room, also along 7 Mile, but very close to the main front doors.

I don't remember my reading group name. There were three groups, geniuses, normal average kids, and dumb kids (It was all so brutally honest back then.) I was so relieved to make it into the 2nd group!

Not sure if it was 1st grade or not, but I do remember this one tote board up on the wall, and this one kid (Lawrence ______), with colored in blocks all the way across indicating all the books he had read. I had only two or three filled in, and I just know that whole thing was fixed!

Jcole

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you on that, Jeff. After grade school, and especially after I moved away from St. Jude, I pretty much was on my own, religion-wise.

Jcole

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was always a reader, but I was also always a talker, so I would be on top of the reading groups, but have my mouth taped shut, with a D in conduct. I had more smacks with a ruler than I care to remember for talking in class.
Does anyone remember Stephen Droulliard getting one of those thick rulers busted over his head? That was Sr. Danial Michael.