Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through April 11, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I no longer live in the city, either. I'm in a small town about 50 miles north. We moved up here when I was in HS, and I've sort of just stuck.
College towns are great places to live. My daughter lived in Boulder for a while, and isn't too far from there now. It, too is a lot like A-squared when it comes to things to do and being pretty liberal.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing I miss is the Detroit Sports. I have to go either 3 hours north to the Twin Cites, or 3 hours south to KC to see the Tigers. I saw the Red Wings play the Wild in December. I see the Tigers about 4-5 times a year, They can feel free to kick it into gear anytime!

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR..Very Good!.......we were all great E.W. families...........can't wait for the reunion.........

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 312
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's true 7K Kid: There was an abundance of good families and neighbors on Eastwood during our era and I bet ES61 can attest the same regarding the era of the 40s-50s

Jcole

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers haven't won a game yet, have they? I think it's just too cold yet, they need warmer weather.

Zitro

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just as cold for the other teams too. I'm sure they'll be fine but with the division they're in they can't fall too far behind. I got to go to the first game of the W.S. in 06'. It was nice to see the city so alive again.

Jcole

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least parts of it are alive again. Still a lot of work to do.

Jcole

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff, Have you been over to the St. Jude thread yet? A few people we knew are on there, as well as talk of "the good ol' days"

Zitro

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I've been following it. I added a few comments. Probably should switch over there and not take up the Eastwood thread. Sorry folks. I do remember most of the names that been thrown around as I hung out with a lot of guys on Eastwood. I visited Paul Gallas on his boat on the Clinton River (Clinton Cruises) when he was first starting that business up.

Jcole

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard not to know a lot of the names on this thread, because so many of us went to St. Jude or knew people who did.
Sorry if I've been hijacking your space.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 315
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: Since you were given permission to cross 7 mi on your bike to go to the credit union or play on the blacktop, it is OK to visit on Eastwood. LOL

Zitro: Paul Gallas I last recall still operated the Clinton river cruises (there was an item I believe in one of the local newspapers that my mom receives that reported about his cruises...not 100% sure if it still is current). The Gallasses were indeed a fixture on Eastwood during the 60s-70s (lived in what was considered back then a "big" colonial house). ES61 would remember as it was right across the street from his residence. Anyway, a lot of kids in that family. Tom, Sue, Paul, Bob, and Greg. Lots of touch football, curb ball, wiffle ball, pickle etc. with the Gallas boys in the 60s early 70s

Zitro

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's link to the web site. It seems to be flourishing. If you look for a picture of the captain you'll see him.

http://www.clintonrivercruisec ompany.com/

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last saw Paul at his Mom's funeral about a year or so ago (MGRHDS). Norb and later Tommy (RIP) were my AAA ins agents. Nice family.

I seem to remember Tommy had a nice '64? Chevy convertible.

Jcole

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, thanks for the permission to visit. It's much appreciated.
Didn't the St. Jude reunion in 2005 use Paul Gallas' river cruise boats? I was supposed to go, but ran into some grandkid issues, and missed it.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mom has mentioned Paul Gallas, I think she may have dated him at some time

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly remember the house but not the Gallas name......and those BIG houses fit on 40' wide lots....

7andkelly

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul was a good kid. Tough sucker though. You really wanted him on your side in a fight. In fact, I think he bailed my sorry behind out of a scrap more than a couple of times. Much appreciated!

7andkelly

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christmas 1965:

Found this video on the toy forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =BuvqPMWv8YU&feature=related

One awesome gun! One awesome Christmas present!

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Zitro

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had one of those. You're right, the best Christmas gift ever! I had it about an hour and popped a cousin in the face with the grenade.

7andkelly

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Johnny Seven One Man Army Gun. I shot my Mom on Christmas day with the very first shot out of that gun. Got her with the anti-tank missile. Not the smartest thing to do since she really didn't want my aunt to buy it for me in the first place. But it was Christmas day, and it all blew over kind of fast. This is one toy I wish I still had!

Zitro

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear ya. I've thought about that gun a thousand times. Thanks for finding that, I could never remember what it was called. Mystery solved

7andkelly

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My son found another commercial on You Tube that was selling the Johnny Seven Micro Helmet Phone Set. Never had the helmet, but I knew a kid over on Fordham near Rex who did. It wasn't nearly as functional and cool as the actual gun, but I wouldn't mind having one of those too.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HbD 91SNiE9g

7andkelly

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found some old style cap guns with holsters a few years back at the Stagecoach Stop in Irish Hills. Too cool to pass up.

Every kid had one.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andK........we still don't know your true I.D.....which street did you originate from?

7andkelly

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone ever really know who we are?

My Mom used to always say I was "God's child". I'm sticking with that.

Jcole

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were you north or south or 7 mile. Just give us that much.

7andkelly

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20 questions!? Ortiz was outed in 2:-)

Jcole

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but his name was spelled backward. I don't think we knew you as yllekdna7, or did we?
I'm pretty certain it's not you, but I keep thinking of a kid named Keith Oberhausen. Did anyone know him? He lived up on Kelly in the duplexes north of Lappin, I think.

7andkelly

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of duplexes on Kelly and Moross. I believe they were built around WWII time when materials were in short supply.

Jcole

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of the houses in that area were during or post WWII. The one I grew up in was built around 43 sometime. Old style asbestos shingled bungalow with a lot of additions by my dad later. It was a great house. I still wish I had it.