Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through April 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any one remember the old clothes lines in the backyard. These ladies would think nothing about letting it all just hang out on the line, pajamas, underwear, everything.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved running between the wet sheets on a hot day. And the smell of them was great after they were brought in and the bed was made, but every once in a while, a bug or two came in with them.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC and 7&K: at 15847 my father built an addition to the back of the house with no permits,etc....and it was used as a bedroom for my older brother and myself... and yes the clothes lines, wooden pins and for sure it "all hung out"....... Our house was brick....and had a Recreation room in the basement.....Knotty pine for sure!

Jcole

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had the knotty pine paneling in our basement, too. Built in bookcases, a plethora of closets, a kitchen and bath, no less. I lived in that basement as a teen, and had some of the best parties.

7andkelly

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: Was your Dad an original owner? Any pictures from that era in your attic?

Eastside61

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: I will need to find out the ownership question.... and I will see what pic I might have ... The house had a furnace about as big as a VW... and my older bro would melt crayons on the ducts....

We also played a lot of ARMY in the bushes between Rex and Redmond.... and during the summer the classic: Hide and Go Seek, Red light Green Light.... kick the Can and Capture the Flag...and what a GREAT neighborhood for Halloween....

7andkelly

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our furnace was big too. Speaking of hide and seek, I think I might have climbed in it once. When I was a little older, it was my job to oil the fan.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 318
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61 or anyone who may have visited Eastwood near Rex in the 50s or 60s: Remember an elm tree, I believe in front of ES61's house or Whitakers next door, that had a trunk base on the street side that made a perfect seat. It was nice just to grab a rest and talk with Kempe or watch the older boys toss the football around (I was only 6 or 7 at the time and was not allowed to play in the street but do remember fondly that huge tree with a unique base)

7andkelly

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was always a sad, sad, day when another elm went down. It was cool watching the guys with the chain saws and especially the shredders. I remember they used these thick tow ropes to guide the fall.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K and 7K: The tree was on Whitakers.....my older brother learned to ride a two wheeler and when my dad let go my brother Bob took off and booked right up that tree because of its interesting angle...

I will see him next week... he lives in Maryland and I will remind him about riding up Whitakers tree!

7andkelly

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the elms had a base with a hole shape in them. We used to put sand, dirt and water in them, and call it "mush-gush".

In the 60's, the roots of the trees lifted up quite a few sidewalk slabs. I remember hitting one of these at full speed and flipping right over the handlebars on Fordham once.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: One night in the mid 50's ... Racing a buddy on our bikes on Faircrest between Rex and Redmond... at about 8:30 ... it was getting dark ... Going full tilt....we both smashed into the back of a Good Humor truck.... bent the frames of both bikes... slid on the cement.... It was a long walk and dragging of the bike to Eastwood... Bike somewhat hidden in the garage...for a while...Dad was not happy that the gold schwinn Traveler was broken...

7andkelly

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...bike somewhat hidden in the garage..." Back then, you really didn't bring up all your mistakes and crazy antics of the day. If it was serious enough for your parents to know, someone else's Mom would call your Mom. For minor scrapes, someone else's Mom would just clean it up for you with some bactine, spread on some mercurichrome, slap on a band-aide, and not even tell your Mom.

And if you acted up at someone else's house, I'm pretty sure those parents had every right to yell at you and beat the devil out of you right then and there.

Don't think this applied to girls though.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K - It was (Schwinn) a recent birthday gift....and garages were small.... so it was not long before it was noticed. No more new bikes either! You are right on about the medical interventions that were performed by moms....plus a drink of water also cured a lot of scrapes and bumps....

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Hmmmm, that crash into the back of the Good Humor truck hitting the fork of the handle bars explains a lot of things...like the fact that you sang soprano in the TAR's Girl's Glee Club...and that high pitched giggle that drove us all crazy.

7andkelly

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone used to sit out on their front porch, especially in the evening hours in the summer, after Huntley and Brinkley of course. If you weren't sitting on your porch, you were walking around your block, stopping to talk to other people who were sitting on their porches. If you were a kid who wasn't sitting on a porch or out for a walk, you were out riding your bike, and eventually stopping at someone's porch.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I loved the Girl's Glee club..... i know my voice was annoying and i tried to accept my fate... It was the only activity I did while attending Denby. We used to sing at Ballduck on the weekends and wed. nights after going to lombardi's or pippos....

Kellyroad

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K, Yeah the porches. Often time the bigger the porch the bigger the crowd. The house where ES once lived had a relatively small porch but Mr. Carter was cool so the neighborhood kids would just sit on the steps and talk. Other houses had huge porches, the kind where one could put a glider on with a few folding chairs have a cup of coffee, a couple of cigarettes and enjoy the banter of neighbors passing by. PORCHES...another chapter of Eastwood Memories

7andkelly

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: You're absolutely right! On Eastwood between Rex and Redmond, the Aubrey family had a colonial with just such a large porch with a glider. More than a few times did I ride over there on my bike to chat with Mrs. Aubrey. Mr. Aubrey was cool too. He fixed my bike chain once so it wouldn't keep coming off. Saved me from having to walk it home. Steve was close to my age, and Joyce not much older than that. They went to St. Jude School. They had a pug named Ringo. Great dog! I remember watching Ringo do the dog paddle in their backyard pool.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mom knew Paul, she was just telling me that she would always tell on him for beating her up when they were kids, even though he never did. In today's messed up world wit all the whack job parents, I don't think that would fly anymore

Kellyroad

Post Number: 321
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The above picture is of the the "Captain" on Redmond and Eastwood looking North toward 7 Mile.(1969)

Zitro: Thanks for the Clinton River Cruise link

(Message edited by kellyroad on April 14, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that a Schwinn or a Murray? It looks like a standard 24 inch boys bike, and not a heavy duty paper boy bike.

What was the name of the bike store on Kelly Road in Harper Woods? That was one of my favorite stores! I got my banana seat and monkey bars from there.

Why don't most bikes now not have fenders? I mean it's cool to ride your bike in the rain, and get a little muddy, but who needs wants all that oil, transmission fluid and whatever other sludge sploshing all over your back.

KR: Is that the Bohrs' house?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That bike shop was Jake's

7andkelly

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: You're good! Thanks for jogging my memory. I would have gotten it later in the day for sure. I'd be at a meeting, someone would be bloviating about this or that, and I'd just shout out "Jakes"!

Loved that store! One summer, my Dad and I took a 24 inch Schwinn completely apart, and rebuilt it. Picked up all kinds of parts from Jakes: tire tubes, bearings, axle grease, pedals, handles, all that.

I can still picture the upside-down frame being held up by an old broom handle shoved into the lawn when I was spray painting the frame. I got the paint from Bridigare's Hardware (loved that store too), which was not far from Jakes.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 327
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Seems like you know the hood very well. Yes indeed. it is the Bohr's home located on the northeast side of Eastwood and Redmond. I believe the Bohr house may have been one of the original homes in the area way, way back when there was primarily farm land. Was it Gratiot township back then?

Jcole

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, speaking about the stores up on Kelly, who remembers going to the Penny candy store? I don't think I ever knew the real name of that store. I assume it was some sort of five and dime, but all I remember was the candy counter in the front. Strips of Dots, sour grape bubble gum balls, and those little saucers with candy beads inside that could be used for hosts when playing Mass. They also had the plastic bubbles in a tube stuff with the straw for blowing it up.
I found some of that in Boulder, CO last summer.

Zitro

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent a lot of time in there too. It seemed like my rims were always getting bent from not quite jumping the curbs right. There and Pinky's Pro Shop. I loved that place, you could always hear some great bowling stories in there. Some of the elite bowlers in Detroit used to hang out in the back room of Pinky's telling their stories of bowling lore.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 328
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: Wasn't the penny candy store located just north of Merit Drugs? If I recall correctly it also sold other trinkets like rubber balls, kites etc. My first kite with 500 ft of string was bought at that store and of course launched at Heilmann. Orange rubber balls slightly smaller than a tennis ball were sold for a dime. When they were new they were perfect for curb ball. 7 and K Kid can verify that.

Zitro

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to love the black licorice mustaches and red lips, also the little fruit drinks in the wax bottles. $1.00 could take of you for most an afternoon. I just bought a roll of NECCO candy the other day because I hadn't had them in a while. 79 cents, and they don't taste the same.

Jcole

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro, I just ate a roll of those the other night. Man, they taste nasty now. A dollar could keep you going for a couple days if you were careful, and hid your bag. Remember the red and black licorice shaped like little records with a candy bead in the middle? You could unwind them and eat them slow.
KR, yep, it was just north of Merit, about three stores north of the light. Now that you mention it, I do remember buying kites there, but also at Merit. Merit was my primary connection for Archie comic books, as well as Brenda Starr.