Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through April 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andK, the only Lawrence I remember was Larry Shaheen.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Different year / different Lawrence. It might have been Anderson.

I've pretty much always gone to church. Late teens/early twenties I would go to St. Peter and Paul on 8 Mile in Harper Woods for the 6:00 PM Mass on Sundays. They had a girl singer who played the guitar. I remember one point from one sermon at one of those Masses: Father was explaining the importance of attending weekly Mass even if you didn't always feel you were getting something out of it. The Holy Eucharist will always bring you a blessing, and it will eventually all make better sense to you. You don't really know when that sermon will change your life for the better, and you don't want to miss it.

Admittedly, I don't make it to confession as often as I should. I really don't prefer the face-to-face version. But I still think it's important and beneficial. So ask Father to put those little lights back up over the doors!

7andkelly

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are these the Droulliards that lived on the S side of 7 Mile between Rex and Morang? If so, there was a sister in my grade.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on April 11, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they did live in that area. He was a nice, quiet kid who really never hurt anyone.
As to the mass and confession going, I respect people who still follow the strictures of the church, but I sort of lost the link to Catholicism in my teens. I tried to keep it up when my kids were little so they had a grounding in tenets, but there was something missing.

7andkelly

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A nice thing about the Catholic Church is you're always welcome to come back.

I like the St. Jude website history section. I would love to see some pictures of the various stages of the construction projects. And some pictures showing our old neighborhood before all the houses were built, and during construction.

If only I would have had the same thirst for History knowledge back in 5th grade. St. Celestine graded me pretty hard in History and Geography. If I can find them, I might just post a couple of my old report cards, names blocked out:-) I think I was an above average student, but like I said before, brutal honesty was in style!

Pretty sure I got a "U" for handwriting. Oh how my self esteem was damaged! Woe is me!

7andkelly

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Drouillards were across 7 Mile from the Mazzolas

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 319
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K, I believe so. The Mazzolas, Sal, Chris, and I think Bart, Mom Helen. lived on the North side of 7 Mi between Rex and Crusade

Jcole

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were Mazzola's across the street from me. Jim, Bart and sister Casmaine. They lived in the Coughlin's old house on Maddelein between Redmond and Boulder. Could be a different family ,but I know Bart lived across the street.

7andkelly

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool! A mystery!

Was Bart older or younger than you? Were the Coughlin's there before or after the Mazzola's?

Jcole

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They lived there after the Coughlin's and Bart was younger than I. Casmaine was about 3 years older, Jim 1 year, and Bart 1 or 2 years younger.
Jim went with Terri Dugan all through HS. I can't remember what school Jim and Bart went to. They moved in around 67 or 68, I'd guess.

7andkelly

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In approximately 5th grade, I remember riding my bike over to Bart's house on the corner of 7 Mile and Crusade across from the SJPF. That would be 1968 plus or minus. It's possible they moved to Maddelein within a year after that.

With that being a bit of a stretch, and you mentioning different siblings than Kellyroad, maybe there were two Mazzola families (potentially related).

Maybe Zitro can put this all together, especially, if they played baseball with Wishegan/Heilmann.

Jcole

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think 'my' Mazzola family came from somewhere down around St. Anthony's or St. Ambrose, so there must have been a second (or actually first) Mazzola family down across from the playfield. It's not inconceivable to have to Italian families with a son named Bartolo. I can't remember the parents names.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys have me confused. I don't remember any Mazzola's, so I really can't help.

Zitro

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1 thing I can clarify is Steve Droulliard lived on Novara 2 houses off Redmond

7andkelly

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well for sure there was another Droulliard family on 7 Mile because I was there more than once. The Mazzolas...that's a bit hazier.

I don't know why I can't remember better. It's only been 40 years give or take.

Jcole

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that Cas Mazolla didn't ever go to SJS, and I'm not sure if Jim did, but Bart did go there, so that could be why you don't remember them, Zitro.
Do any of you remember Terri and/or Shannon Dugan or Kevin and Tim Bradley from Maddelein?

Zitro

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, I hung out with the Bradley boys for a while, mostly Tim. I remember Terri Dugan but not Shannon.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All -
Lots of catch-up reading! Such wonderful memories that "keep on comin' I kept on as a member of St. Jude's until Father Ray put the parish in debt with all the internal changes. Moved on to Assumption Grotto Parish for 10 years or so, then back to St. Jude when Father Robert became pastor there 2 years ago. Never got the same "feeling" from suburban parishes located only blocks away, so always headed back to the old neighborhood for that "Catholic" feeling. Glad I couldn't stay away from St. Jude and kept coming back periodically as the pastors changed. I'm hoping it will ALWAYS be my parish, which is why I'm such an active participant in parish functions and try my best to be as involved as possible.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Assumption Grotto still has the coolest cemetery..........need to set that clean-up thing as soon as the weather breaks

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll absolutely keep everyone up-dated as soon as a date has been decided for our Spring clean-up! I believe that last year the clean-up/planting weekend was the weekend after Memorial Day. Traditionally, parishioners bring geraniums and other flowers to be planted as a memorial to family members. It sure would be great to have some extra help!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 322
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

circa late 60s

Someone had mentioned the convent parking lot crowded with students and parents during the May Crowning

Kellyroad

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Jude May Crowning (late 60s)

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANK YOU! These pictures bring back wonderful memories.

Jcole

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campfire and I are probably among the bigger girls in the front. By the late 60s we had graduated from the jumpers and beanies.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J and I were in the "Cool" Bolero uniform group! If I'm not mistaken, we still had a lovely "chapel cap" to wear while in church. I think I still have my lace doily somewhere. It was more fashionable than the alternate lace mantilla - or emergency kleenex!

7andkelly

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You girls are speaking in some foreign language. Is this something you learned in Blue Birds or when you went to Camp Wathana?

Zitro

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K. I agree, next thing they'll be dragging out the babushka's!

Jcole

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally preferred the Mantilla to the chapel cap, but I always did like to be different.
the emergency kleenex was so declasse.

7andkelly

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Emergency kleenex", is that what you called them? I knew of a couple of girls that used to stuff a whole lot of these in their shirts back in the 7th grade. I've heard of the cold and flu season, but come on!

Jcole

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emergency kleenex were bobby pinned to the top of your head before mass in the event that you forgot your chapel cap (small round piece of lace, usually white, sometimes black) or your mantilla(large triangle of lace, same colors as above)Back in the day, girls couldn't go into the church without a head covering, boys couldn't go in with one.
There was nothing emergent about the kleenex that were 'stuffed', unless they fell out or popped out the top of your shirt. THEN you had an emergency.