Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through April 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes they were KR!..........and I was too lazy to go to Heilman's............the blacktop on a Saturday afternoon was just fine for kite flying!and I don't recall
that penny candy store having a name either. Ah! and those sacraligious host things!. My fav was the 5 pop bottles made of wax with colored water in them. And yes I do believe that was Bohrs' house indeed on a full July day. We should make it out fir first priority to see Mr. Bohr when we go on our tour this year. He's gettin up there! Heck he has to be what.......169 or so by now! and you know, I never did see a Mrs. Bohr

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the penny candy store you speak is... well in my day it was called the Milk Depot. it was on Kenosha and Kelly, on the side behind the barber shop directly across the street from Tringali's Bakery side door. That was the 70's and very early 80's though. I lived at 15834 Lappin.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gta, I think the Milk Depot was on a side street across from another store, as you say. It was behind another store. The penny candy store was right on Kelly about the third store off of the corner of between Elkhart and Roscomman.

Gtat44

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a small store run by two guys named Andy and Pete, down next to where the CVS now is, in fact I think CVS took over their area of that strip. They sold penny candy as well as a store we called Angelo's right next to the "warehouse" that Polla's owned which was next to Merit Drug's.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gtat44: There was a Milk Depot I believe located right next to Merit Drugs near Roulo's plumbing. closed in the 60s..I'm not sure however if the penny candy store moved into that building or not...the shop I'm thinking about was just north of Elkhart (near the appliance parts store (forgot the name..Was it Ken's?). We may all be discussing two different shops, the penny candy shop and the trinket shop...??? The milk depot closed soon after Chatham and Kroger started offering milk in cartons and there was still competition from the Twin Pines and/or Wilson dairy milkmen. Does anyone still have a milk chute? (another chapter in the eastside book)

Jcole

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wrote a post a while back about the milk chutes on the houses on my block. I used to be designated 'crawler-in' when my neighbor used to forget her keys. I always got a quarter for doing it.
There was also a Borden's milkman. I know this because we got their milk, and I still swear I could tell the difference between Borden and Twin Pines. Borden's tasted better.

Gtat44

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had one on Lappin although this is a Eastwood- St. Judes-Heilmanns thread..........used to send the smallest guy in our group through that to open up our back door. By the time I was "of age" that was where the brake fluid and spare qt. of oil was kept.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 K KID: Mrs. Bohr (Florence??) stayed inside while Mr. Bohr was the outside guy always conversing with the neighborhood kids. Their home was a perfect location located on a seemingly busy intersection to catch up on the neighborhood news. They had a few birds in their home. When I collected for the Detroit News it sounded like a rain forest when they opened the door (allow me a little embellishment on that one). I understood the Bohrs had home movies and photos of the neighborhood when it was farm land and early on during its developement. I regret to this day not asking for a showing. ALAS

Kellyroad

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gtat: As JCole knows, even though you lived on Lappin, you are allowed to visit Eastwood, Heilmann and St. Jude. Be careful crossing 7 Mile hopefully you're at least 12 years old to ride in the street and although you don't need a helmet you should have a bike license (available for $2 at the 15th precinct police station on Gratiot and Connor)

Jcole

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Gtat, the kids from Eastwood have been very friendly to us north of Seven Milers. They play nicely with others.
My dad worked at that precinct for a while, then City/County building, the 5th down on Jefferson and St. Jean, and at #1 downtown, as well as others before I was born. I took a ride up Gratiot from downtown last week, and 15 is gone as well as so many other things that were there when we were kids. No more Ramona theater, Federal's dept. store, Wards. I did notice that the library is still there on Six Mile and Gratiot. I used to ride my bike up there once a week from the time I was about 9 until 14 with a bag of books on my handlebars. I don't think I would try that today.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 333
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is nice to see the Franklin library still remains a fixture in the 6 mi/Gratiot neighborhood. I use to life guard at Gallagher pool on St. Jean and Kercheval right next to the 5th precinct. That building has just recently been torn down and I think being replaced with another municipal building.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: You're right especially crossing at the corner of Redmond and 7 mile by the church. Those cars always seemed to come around that curve from Kelly faster than you would think. No way we'd wear a helmet, you would never live it down.

Jcole

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did they even make helmets back then?

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: My dad worked at the 15th also...he retired in 1950...the folks are buried in Gethsemane...likely he was there a few years before your dad...the Franklin library was one of my favorite hangouts...it was a good excuse to cut through the AG cemetery on the way home.

Zitro

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: I don't remember helmets, but even if they did there was no way you'd be caught dead wearing one. You'd have never made it off your block. The public ridicule would have been life altering.

Jcole

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad worked DPD from 1937 til 1973. He was an Inspector at retirement. I think he was at 15 in the late 50s/early 60s, maybe earlier.They more than likely knew each other. He retired when Mayor Young was elected. He took a job as Police Chief in Almont, and passed away in '75.

Jcole

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro, I rode a pink bike. How much more could my life be altered?

Zitro

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Point!

Zitro

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably never had to worry about it being stolen though. Even though you wished it would.

Zitro

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still chuckling...

Goblue

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad was at the 5th 1924-1929 and then the 15th from 1930-1950. He was a street cop...had been an orphan and only had an 8th grade education...joined the DPD after the Army when he was 20...worked prisoner transfer for the last few years of his career...was plant security at Stroh's after he retired...died in 1984. His pension put my sister and me through college. I'll be grateful forever.

We used to drive through Almont on our way to their cottage near Caseville...seemed like a long way out in the country in early 50's.

Jcole

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally got rid of it when I was 16. That's when my dad made a deal with me that if I didn't bug him for my driver's license, he'd buy me a 10 speed. At least that bike was green.
Didn't get a license til I was almost 18, tho.

Jcole

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, My dad didn't have any college education. He did graduate HS, but then went to work at the steel mill in Wyandotte. He was a beat cop for several years, and then got promoted up the ladder. 37 years was a long time on the force. 2 sets of riots, along with all the other stuff. He died too young. Only 62.
We have a right to be proud of our Dads.
Almont STILL feels like a long way out in the country.

Goblue

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sorry to hear that your dad died so young...he had earned the right to a long and peaceful retirement. Mine had a major stroke when he was 62...it left him pretty much paralyzed on his right side and robbed him of his retirement plans...he lived for another 18 years but they were hard years. Who knows what the stress of those years on the Thin Blue Line did to them.

Jcole

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, you knew my Dad fairly well, didn't you? sang in the choir with him? were you involved in that Punt, Pass and Kick thing where he got the choir boys footballs and some other stuff?

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J cole......yea Gratiot.........I used to pick my dad up from work at French road and Gratiot (Eaton Springs) and the area was bustling with people on 3 shifts!.and all kids of small and medium size shops all the way to Van Dyke............now...just tumbleweeds..............

Goblue

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too...used to pick my dad up from his work on the afternoon shift as a plant guard at Stroh's for the drive back up Gratiot to Seven Mile...the area was vibrant and safe in the very early 60's...what a disaster it is today...not even safe to visit my folks' graves in Gethsemane unless I'm packin' my .357.

Jcole

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to ride my bike everywhere in the late 60s and early 70s. I would ride down to Lake St. Clair, up to 9 and Harper, down to 6 and Gratiot and everywhere in between and never feel in the least unsafe. Sometimes it was a girlfriend and I, sometimes all alone. Had a 5th grade teacher down on Nottingham and Harper who welcomed visitors after we were no longer her students. I would visit her and then go on down to my sisters on Lakeview and Kerchival.
Can you imagine a 13 yr old girl doing that today?

Goblue

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not unless she's with a platoon of Marines! BTW...my grandparents lived on Lakeview between Kercheval and Mack. My ex's parents lived on Newport just south of Mack. We grew up together at Messiah Lutheran on Kercheval and Lakewood.

Jcole

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant to say Lakepointe, not Lakeview. When my sister was first married, she and her husband lived in an upstairs flat between Kerch and St. Paul.
I also had friends who lived down there on Philip, I think. The Orem's. Sid was a cop, too.