Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through April 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lace Mantilla DID give one more of a religious presence and a "mature" look ---the Chapel cap - with the obligatory bobby pin to hold it in place - was the most common head covering. Never had to use the Kleenex...except for the cold and flu season, the babushkas on the other hand........

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who had relatives that wore the 'Florida' style babushka? You know the one, a map of a state with the name emblazoned down the side, as well as some well-chosen symbols of the state, like cartoon crabs, palm trees, etc.
I know we had some in our house. I think I even saw them at weddings.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey - I think I have one of those that currently serves as a small tablecloth! Of course, I know the 'Florida' style babushka - what a fashion statement!
Never saw them at a wedding - but then anything would go at the VFW!

Jcole

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stuffed cabbage, grandma with rolled down support hose on folding chairs and little kids with orange pop stains running around the dance floor.
What is the definition of a Polish wedding in the 60's?
Please don't get the idea that I'm knockin', I was one of those kids.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must have attended 500 of those weddings on the Eastside when I was shooting weddings for Fox Portrait Studio on Gratiot. I don't specifically remember being at St. Jude but we had to have been...most were at Assumption Grotto. Yer bringin' back the memories Jcole.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've eaten many a gumpkie at many a Polish wedding. Still one of my favorite dish's to eat with mashed potatoes. I never did care for the texture of the stuffed greed peppers though and I don't remember them having Polish equivalent name.

Zitro

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to be careful, I promised myself I would never become like my parents and Ward Cleaver talking about the good ole' days and how great things were when I was a kid. Once I see my boys eyes rolling in the back of their head I know it's time to stop.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOUMKIE!.........just the sound of it!........I can hear the accordian now!

Jcole

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon guys, your non-polish is showing. It's spelled golabki.
I don't think the stuffed peppers had a name either. I don't even think those are necessarily polish.
How about Chrusciki(Angel Wings) those lighter than air crisp fried strips of dough with powdered sugar sprinkled on top? Yumm.

Jcole

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro, I know what you mean. I always hated the good ol' days talk of my parents, but here we are. I guess there's no harm done as long as we keep it to the internet and don't bore the family to death. Although, my daughters are old enough that I catch THEM doing it now.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 329
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The discussion about polish weddings got me thinking of the ethnic makeup of the St. Jude community (far northeast side) during the 50-70s...The ethnicity, particular cultural practices and norms seemed rather amalgamated and undistinct as compared to other parishes and communities in Detroit. Many German, Polish, and Italian names but not one distinct underlying theme...the far eastside corner of the city truly was the melting pot post WWII. We all had our own family cultural identities but not one pervasive community identity.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's very true KellyR. I never thought about that! We sure were lucky to grow up with every nationality - that's probably why we had non-traditional games and special events ---as we had talked about "nickel" in the cupcake, etc., Unless that's an Old Ethnic tradition that I'm not aware of! As far as reminiscing about the "good old days" - okay, it can be an eye-roll, but it can also be a tear-jerker. I'm glad that so many of us have such great memories of growing up and "older" together. With all the moves that the following generations needed to make for job opportunities or "up-sizing", not too many kids can grow up together for as long as we did and enjoy the same "long ago" memories

Zitro

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: Non-Polish?? My grandmother on my mother side name was Kucynski later changed to Cousins. She used to swear at me in Polish. She live in Hamtramck just off Chene where the GM plant stands. Don't let the last name fool you. I've seem gumpkie, goumkie, golabki, spelled so many different ways. All I know is they're still one of my favorite foods in any language.

Jcole

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, Zitro,don't get excited. I'm sorry I dissed your grandmother. My grandmother on Dad's side was Polish, but I don't remember her well. I had to put up with my Dad swearing at me in Polish, and Mom's parents in Hungarian/German.And, yes, they are the best food with mashed potatoes, and of course, tomato soup gravy.
Did your family make them with cooked rice or dry rice mixed into the meat?

Zitro

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used the cooked rice. Some of my relatives (the non-polish ones)used the dry and it didn't seem to have the same texture.

Jcole

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom made the Hungarian version, and used the dry rice. I tried that once with my Polish husband, and never again. He couldn't believe that I would put dry rice in his stuffed cabbage.

Zitro

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It all has to do with what you were raised on I guess. That's why I do most of the cooking in my house still. Anyone who had a dad as a fireman was probably used to their dad doing a lot of the cooking because they all took turns at the firehouse. There was a butcher shop on Mack/Chalmers area that used to set aside the better cuts of meat for the firemen.

Jcole

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad never was much of a cook except for breakfast. Must be the difference between cops and firemen.
My husband also does most of the cooking. I think the dry rice incident affected him more than he let on.
I'm a good cook, but he's better. Also, he enjoys it more.
BTW, he's very Polish. Taddeus Markowski.

Zitro

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those kind of things can affect a guys psyche for life don't ya know.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You "blast from the past" gang truly help brighten my work day

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goumkie?..........I can taste the keiska now!....coming from the Cetlinski side of my heretige.............my grandfather was a liet. in Recorders' Court back in the day........my dads' side are all Buffalos........

Jcole

Post Number: 178
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keiska was not something I have ever been anxious to try, but I do remember the song. Wasn't it a favorite of the Ghoul?
The name Cetlinkski is very familiar. I had a neighbor who was a court lieutenant back in the day. His name was Robert David.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well..............my mom grew up on Wilshire and went to St. Juliana....way back in the day!

Goblue

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: Wait a minute! "Kleenex popped out of the top of one's shirt"....are you telling me that all of those years ago dating a St. Jude/Regina girl...that it was nothing more than a handful of kleenex and not the real thing? Oh man...memories destroyed!

Jcole

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, if you never got the chance to tell the difference first hand (so to speak) what's the problem. You still have your dreams, right?

Goblue

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol...at 15 who knew the difference through a winter coat, sweater, etc...a handful was a handful. Yeah, still have the dreams/memories.

Jcole

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Michigan winters made it hard to tell, didn't they.

Goblue

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah...but the summers were delightful... especially in the dunes near South Haven in the early 60's.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop! You guys are killing me. lol,lol.

Jcole

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dunes near Caseville were nice too.