Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through April 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 294
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers lose 7-0 in the most ugly, sloppy, and miserable game that I have witnessed in a while.

Playing the 8th inning in those worsening conditions this afternoon was ridiculous and dangerous with huge puddles having formed in the infield. The game SHOULD have been called or stopped at that point.

O.Cabrera could have been seriously injured when he was beaned by Verlander, and it would have been the umpires fault, IMO.

Oh yeah, the Tigers up to that point batted like a bunch of defanged and declawed kittens who messed their litterbox..what is it now..19 GIDPs so far this season?

Renteria's single prevented a likely no-hitter by Floyd.

No wonder that they entered the game tied for the fewest runs scored in the AL.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY's logic is mathematically faulty, as is his conclusion.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5857
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

LY's logic is mathematically faulty, as is his conclusion.

Oh? If they drop four games out of first in ten games, then they should drop about 16 times that much for a full season. Four times sixteen is sixty-four. 'Snuff said?

DPS anybody? A 0.182 ball team doesn't have a chance for the post season unless all the other four teams in their division drop under 0.182--which is mathematically impossible here because these same teams play each other too frequently.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 258
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigers were very bad today. We'll know very soon, if this team sucks. They weren't like this in spring play.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 619
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

beside injuries (some nagging) I think the Tig hitters are pressing knowing that the Tigs' 'pen is hurting big time without Rodney and Zumaya.

I think the batters think they need to score 8 or more runs to win and consequently are slumping badly.

BTW, I got a feeling that Granderson's return will be big.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 295
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

11-0

12 Ks

second consecutive SO, out of 4 in just 12 games.

...and the Tigers implosion continues.

For a while there, I thought that the O's record set last year, of having 30 runs scored against them, was going to be in jeopardy, but there are plenty of Tigers games left as yet this season.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on April 13, 2008)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 grand slams.

Wow. Just wow.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 366
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's nothing worse than having a veteran team that sucks. When you've got some young guys coming up, even if the team is lousy, you can enjoy following their progress all season and think about how the team will develop in the future. Other than Granderson, there is not one young, improving player to follow on the Tigers. It's tough not to tune out already.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost every game they've played this year has made me want to cry. It's like watching tee ballers playing fast pitch.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 672
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...1/16th of the season...that's Equivalent of starting the NFL 0-1...you people are all fair weather fans, jumped on the bandwagon in 2006, jumping off in 2008 at the first sign of trouble.

I bet when they turn it around and play much better in may, you all will trying to jump right back on the Tiger train complaining about how hard it is to get tickets to a game

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can be a real fan and still be frustrated. They look awful right now.. nuff said

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5872
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 672

Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 8:08 pm:

Wow...1/16th of the season...that's Equivalent of starting the NFL 0-1...you people are all fair weather fans, jumped on the bandwagon in 2006, jumping off in 2008 at the first sign of trouble.

I bet when they turn it around and play much better in may, you all will trying to jump right back on the Tiger train complaining about how hard it is to get tickets to a game

12 games into a 162-game season is 1/13.5 of a season--not 1/16th.

Going 2-10 is far worse than being 0-1 in the NFL because if the Lions were 0-1, they would be tied with 15 other teams for 17th place after one NFL game... The Tigers are peerless in their losing, so far.

The next less-worse team, Washington in the NL, has won twice as many games (4), and their opponents in the AL are better than Washington.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY, I understand the point you were making, and I realize that your math is accurate in the way you applied it. I suppose the better way for me to object is to say that I disagree with your application. I am quite sure you realize that as the total number of games played increases, the "percentage value" of the games over/under .500 figure changes. What I'm getting at is that while the scenario you presented is mathematically sound, we could also look at it like this: If things continue as they now (as of Sunday A.M.) are, the top team will wind up with two more wins than losses, we will have seven more losses than victories, and we will finish at 4.5 games out, just like we were this morning!

Of course, that is just as ridiculous as your proposal. 82-80 will not win the division (will it?) and trying to figure out how we could end up with seven more losses than victories is making my head hurt.

The truth is that I was just trying to get under your skin. I couldn't resist. You're just so fuckin' negative and dark-cloudy all the time.

The only time I saw you write something positive was when you were boasting about the grocery prices in your neighborhood.

At any rate, I'm in no position to sincerely challenge your grim hypotheses regarding the Tigers, because I'm feeling pretty fuckin' negative about them, myself, right now.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5877
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some observations:

(1) Detroit is going nowhere with its current pitching staff. When I was in high school, Milwaukee had probably the best trio of pitchers of all times: Warren Spahn, spitballer Lew Burdette--three complete-game World Series victories!, and Saginaw fast-baller Bob Buhl. Plus another of the best all-time long relievers/occasional starter: knuckle baller Don McMahon. What does Detroit have in comparison?

(2) Detroit's hitters look good on paper before the season. But you cannot win ball games with as few actual good hitters as Detroit has once the season is underway. Compare Detroit's hitters with the batters on the team mentioned in item (1): 3-4-5 hitters Eddie Matthews (led baseball in homers at age 22 and led baseball in walks too, setting him up on base for doubles-hitter Hank Aaron who was known to hit a HR or three (and was my neighbor, too, but that was his problem...), and Joe Adcock (hit four HRs one game), who hit the ball farther than Matthews or Aaron could. Now that's a good ball team. There were others on that team too, of course, that played damn well too.

(3) Detroit needs to be the best of the second-place teams to be a wild card. Won't come even close for that to happen.

(4) Having the team play so badly will definitely hurt attendance, as Detroit clearly has shown in the past that it doesn't support the Tigers when they lose.

(5) Can they come back? Sure! However, for them to rebound enough to be in contention for a wild card means that Detroit would have to beat up other teams, and other teams would have to beat up on Detroit's top competition. Not very likely because baseball teams play much closer to 0.500 ball than in most sports, except for the really good and the really poor teams. A 0.167 team after a dozen games says a lot, though--Detroit has the making of a really poor team.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on April 14, 2008)

20043_stotter

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard that no team in major league baseball history, that has gone 0 and 7 at the start, has ever made post season play. Source, 97.1 FM, The Ticket. My diagnosis is that this team may have caught the dreaded Detoit Lyin'itis disease. Season is over before it really get's started. Those damn Lyin's spread it to the tigers. Soon the 40 game evaluation will be here. Does anyone have any predictions at 40 games played? I'll be generous and say 11 wins and 29 losses, and I hope I'm wrong. I'm angry because I'm a tiger fan. What's your 40 game predictions?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4124
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be somewhat more generous with a prediction of 16-24 after 40 games.

Even though I'm not a Tigers fan, as a rabid baseball fan it's painful to watch a team as bad as this year's Tigers. I usually attend eight to ten games at Comerica Park each year. If the team keeps looking like this, it'll be easy to get tickets in June and July.

LY, agreed... the 2008 Tigers bear no comparison whatsoever with the 1957 Milwaukee Braves. In fact, I'm not sure that too many recent World Series-winning teams even compare favorably with the '57 Braves. That was one of the great teams of all time.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7282
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers SUCK!

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 810
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did Leyland Say in his "blow up"?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6092
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY = Foul Weather Fan. The prospect of gloom and negativity gets him all excited.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5878
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL: Until the Tigers played and stunk up the places (especially Comerica), this board had a fair number who couldn't wait for their post-season (World Series, even) tickets to be available. Even the sports writers. Too bad that the games have to be played first in order to get to the post season...

I don't care much for AL BB anyway, as I always hated the DH rule. Glad that Milwaukee got the chance to go back to the NL after KC (they had first choice) refused to go there. And this year, having KC in the AL didn't help Detroit.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my! Tigers are down 5 to 0 in the 6th. Will it ever end? Come on boys, start roarin'

20043_stotter

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They heard me. Now it's 5 to 3. Go tiges

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4414
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Tigs!!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6106
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Until the Tigers played and stunk up the places (especially Comerica), this board had a fair number who couldn't wait for their post-season (World Series, even) tickets to be available.

I know it! That kind of blind optimism must have really ground your gears!

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like I hear a little roaring tonight. So far a 6 run 8th inning

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take it! Tigers win 11-9 8th inning comeback!

(Message edited by cub on April 14, 2008)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6107
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, crazy game!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4417
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a game!!

The batters woke up!

Eastsiderules
Username: Eastsiderules

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe this is when they turn it around.
GO TIGERS!

Flanders_field

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Appears that Leyland laying into the team yesterday may have been effective, at least in the last half of this game.

Hope that it will mark the turn around point for the rest the season.