Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through April 18, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember the hamburger joint at all for some reason (sorry). The Little Caesar's I want to tie in with the same timeframe the Sweetheart Bakery went in.

Zitro

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I always thought the nuns must have received their training from a Viet Cong advisor. The twisted mind games they could play were pretty ingenious. I remember a time around 3rd grade I forgot to bring a book back. The class piled them on the nun's desk and she was one short. She deduced it was me. When I denied it, she took me out the in the hall and told me the had lie detector in the boiler room and she was going to take me in there and prove I was lying. Needless to say I capitulated. I don't think I ever forgot to return anything on time ever again.

Zitro

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forget waterboarding, stick those terrorists in GITMO with the nuns we had for a day or two and they'd be squealing like pigs.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 345
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: So you were introduced to Frank's "lie detector" in the boiler room too. There was a girl in our 2nd grade class who threw out her sandwich in the wastebasket because she didn't like the meat her mother put in the sandwich. No on fessed up until the "lie detector" ploy was used.

In 5th grade a rock was thrown through one of the windows. We were asked if anyone know about it. They were going to find out because they had fingerprints. Too bad they didn't have DNA investigatory methods back then..the truth could have been found so much quicker.

Zitro

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Frank's "lie detector" not that it had any long lasting effects on me or anything though.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 346
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The above photo from the NORTHEAST DETROITER documents a St. Jude memory (1963). Interestingly, the paper goes into great detail of names and addresses.
(7_and Kelly_Kid...That one's for you. Regards)

All: It is indeed depressing to discover the news of East Catholic (St. Jude) closing at the end of the season. The Michigan Catholic did state that an event will be planned for students and alumni of East Catholic an its predecessors, but the details hadn't yet been worked out.

Special request: If you know of anyone who was part of St. Jude school or parish and is not part of the discuss detroit forum please let them know. Let's keep the wonderful memories of St. Jude going as long as possible. Thank You

Kellyroad

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Jude Church (circa 1980)

Zitro

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K I can't stop laughing that was great!

Zitro

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry folks, this is a response to another thread, he knows what I'm talking about.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Thanks so much for the great pictures! It really takes me back. First Communion, Confirmation, school Masses, Sundays, all that.

One of our nuns used to have a rather effective way to ensure we were kneeling up straight. No slouching allowed. If you touched the front of the seat while you were kneeling, she would pull a pin out of her habit veil, and poke you right in the butt.

On Sundays, I think most people walked to church. We did.

I can almost smell the burning charcoal, and the BBQ chicken my Dad would make after church.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 213
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always said the nuns would have been great interrogators. They could put fear into you just by looking.
I still get a chill up my spine when I see a habit.

7andkelly

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not me. I love them to pieces!

I'm pretty sure their prayers go directly to God. If you're in trouble, ask a nun to pray for you. Some time will pass, and they will come back to you and ask you how you're doing. If nothing changes, they will go to God in prayer again, and in their own holy, respectful and non-sacraligious words ask: "What gives"?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Sisters -just read that Sister Leonita - principal in the mid-late 60's died recently - and lived to be 105 years old! She must have had some major prayers to get in before she was called home.

Zitro

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Do you have a link to the obit or DN?

Zitro

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found it

http://www.lenconnect.com/obit uaries/x1838781998

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's just not the same being a nun anymore. We had a visit this week from 2 Adrian Dominicans (neither with St. Jude connections). Both are lawyers. One was my sister's 1st principal when she was a young Dominican teaching in Shaker Hts, OH (at age 18 I might add). My sister went from Dominican High to Adrian at the end of her sophomore year. They pushed her through her last 2 years of HS & got enough college in to get her a teacher's certificate in OH & put her to work.
Even though many hold "civilian" jobs now, the nuns are still involved with helping others. My sister's old principal, now in her late 70s, has been my 2nd sister for over 50 years. Love her!

Zitro

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll give those nuns credit for one thing. They sure know how to hang on.. It seems like they last in to their 80's or beyond. I'm not sure if this means anything ( No kids??)

(Message edited by zitro on April 18, 2008)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I went to Regina, there were a bunch of nuns who no longer taught, but lived in the convent attached to the back of the school. these are the ones who did the cooking for the school cafeteria. It's no wonder everyone's favorite food was the mashed potatoes.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're have been several studies which note that nuns live far longer than the general population. Lots of reasons: They generally live a very healthy lifestyle, have excellent means of relieving stress (prayer & as noted above, they're good at it) and, of course, no kids(

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR.....thanks!..I needed that pik today.............believe me..and the pic of St. Judes' nave.......(before they moved every thing around)......that was a cool stage when they took all of the drapes off and the brass and copper ornaments were visable.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What "no kids" - they had millions of 'em! :-)
I'm surprised that some of us didn't hasten their demise. I think it was the number of children they loved, that kept them going so long. (Tough love, but love nonetheless) I know that some of the 70 to 80+ nuns in Adrian still provide tutoring for local students.

7andkelly

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MGRHDS!

I knew it was biblical, but I cheated to find it using google:

Exodus 20:12 "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the LORD your God gives you.

Deuteronomy 5:16: 'Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, that your days may be prolonged and that it may go well with you on the land which the LORD your God gives you. (NASB ©1995)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 349
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071209/NEW S05/712090667/1001

Since we are all sharing nun stories, I thought I repost a recent item about a local nun and her methods to curb certain language. It did get national interest for awhile. Kathy Avery actually was our family's baby sitter for a short time during the late 50s- early 60s. The Averys on Saratoga go back a long way in St. Jude history. I recall Paul being very active in choir and later very instrumental in parish operations most notedly running the church festivals. Are any of the Averys still active at St. Jude?

(Message edited by kellyroad on April 18, 2008)

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Paul Avery at the Pot Luck dinner on Holy Thursday and Colleen Avery is a member of the Christian Service Commission.

7andkelly

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg, Is Paul Avery with Christian Financial? He was with SJCU and I believe NECCU after the first merger before CFCU.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K, you know, I'm really not sure- I go to Christian Financial at 10 and Van Dyke and don't see him, nor have I read any mention of him in the newsletters.
I still call it the SJCU -

7andkelly

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go to that branch. My account goes back to when I was one.

One teller noticed my low account number and said: "Well good morning, Methuselah."

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bet there are a bunch of us that go there - it's closer than the 12 and Utica branch, which is my second option.
Thank goodness for that credit union. I got my home loan through them, and they were SO patient---I had no idea what I was doing and they explained each "sign your life away" piece of paperwork. - it was at the 7 mile office.

7andkelly

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, and they have a Notary Public there too. See April if she's still there.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a bit of St Jude trivia (speaking of credit unions). The present day structure on the south west corner of 7 mile and Redmond was designed by George Geck who also taught architectural drawing as NDHS in the late 60s early 70s. Greg Geck graduated from SJS in 67 and NDHS 71. I believe the Geck family lived just north of 7Mi not to far from the church.