Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through April 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ran cross country with Greg. He was awesome. There was a brother Ed who went to NDHS for a couple of years but I don't think he graduated from there.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?sid=479ff853 04b7356845dc98128ba0e00e&q1=st +jude&rgn1=vmc_ti&op2=And&q2=& rgn2=vmc_ti&type=boolean&med=1 &view=thumbnail&c=vmc

The above link from virtual city wsu shows 2 photos of St. Jude Church when it was first opened

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg: You saw Paul and Colleen. How about Mike and Mary Ellen? At one time they were quite active at SJ.

KR: You da man once again. Awesome pictures! Do you have any of the school, especially inside? I would imagine those would be quite rare. The church had even changed from the beginning to my time. There's got to be some in the rectory somewhere. If not there, then downtown. Maybe there's a time capsule in the tunnel!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR -
Thanks for those pictures. Really bring back memories. My class was the last to graduate in the old church (the gym) in 1958. The stained glass was done by Thompson Glass Company, now run by 2 of my motorcycle riding buddies who are grandsons of the founder who did the glass at SJ.
Yea, at the ripe old age of (almost) 64 I still ride.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 352
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: Those stained glass windows told stories didn't they? I remember choosing my confirmation name because of where the stained glass of St. Philip was located during the year I was confirmed when going to daily school mass. The detail of the ceiling, the light fixtures, the stations of the cross are magnificient...as a young lad I couldn't help but stare. Thanks for the info. RIDE ON!

Eastburn

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always felt that St. Jude's is what a Catholic church is supposed to look like. I believe it was the last church built in the diocese in the "traditional" style. Modern churches don't hold a candle to it. (Excuse the pun.) When I was in my late teens, St. Jude's started a program of keeping the church open 24/7. Of course someone had to be there at all times. Folks would sign up to spend an hour or two. My time was something like Thursdays at 2:00 AM. Probably some of the most valuable time I've spent in my life. Don't remember being at all nervous about being alone in there. Very peaceful. Guess I wasn't alone after all.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 354
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn: St. Jude was the last church to be built in that style (pre modern). The cost of material (italian marble), the availability of craftsmen, etc made the church building rather expensive to build for its time. Fr. Ording wanted to do it right...boy did he ever.

I do recall that 24/7 program...it was called "perpetual adoration". There was a registry book in the vestibule to sign up. The intention was that there would always be someone in church. Yes, it was very peaceful. The quiet of an enormous church (all you could hear was heating/cooling system going on, or an occasional door opening or kneeler squeaking) with the huge crucifix hanging over the altar presented a very powerful, prayerful setting. From my understanding, perpeual adoration ended due to vandalism/theft in the church. I'm not sure how long that program lasted. Do you?

(Message edited by kellyroad on April 20, 2008)

Eastburn

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure when it ended. As I recall, I was involved until I got married in '66 and moved out of the parish.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR -
Thanks so much for the great link. Those pictures are awesome. I don't remember the church ever being open 24 hours - but know that now it's open an hour before Mass. The interior of the church changed when Fr. Ray Sayers was pastor. You will still find the beautiful stained glass, arched aisleways and beautiful stations. Of course, just being in St. Jude in the quiet is an experience. It's too bad that most Mass goers of all ages - don't think anything of talking long and loud until just moments before the beginning of Mass.
"Clean up the St. Jude Grounds" day will be June 1st. Anyone interested, is welcome! Just bring your gloves and rakes and whatever else you use for gardening. We work around the church pulling weeds, raking debris, planting donated annuals and enjoying each other's company. Last year we worked in the rain - and still had a good time.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 357
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: I believe perpetual adoration occurred during the mid sixties just for a few years. You may have been just a little too young to realize it at the time. Since the church was open around the clock and since I lived only a couple of blocks away I was often sent over to St. Jude just to "talk to God". What a wonderful opportunity that was! We all took things for granted didn't we?

The last time my family and I were at St. Jude Fr. Ray was pastor and the church was just recently redesigned. I realize the diocesan mandated design was/is controversial (expenditures and architectural integrity, etc) but Fr. Ray was very enthusiastic about the transformation AND with St. Jude parish's mission in the nearby community. We must have spent at least an hour getting a tour and conversing about the latest developments.
Thanks for the update regarding "Clean Up" day and please keep us posted regarding any school events surrounding the school's closing.

7andkelly

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm for putting it all back the way it was when I was a kid, and that includes replenishing the convent with 32 bright young nuns, preferably Adrian Dominican (O.P.) nuns in habit, and reopening the school under the name St. Jude's.

On Sunday, vocations are often the subject of the sermon, but these IMHO are mostly directed at the boys. The diocessan video is again mostly recruiting priests.

I can only imagine what a simple change in focus would do to restore our convents.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 359
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

safety.jpg
Signed by Sr. James Marie.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 360
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Photo taken in 1956
Bells were stationed on the front steps for viewing and blessing prior to installation.

Does anyone have a history as to where the bells were made?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that the church was partially remodeled after VaticanII. If I remember correctly, the altar used to be larger and the priest faced it during Mass. After Vatican II, they put in a smaller altar with room behind it, and that's when the priest started to face the congregation. that's also when the Mass started being said in english.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 361
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: During my tenure as an altar boy 65-67 a few changes ocurred in the mass and altar design. The front smaller section of the altar as you described was actually part of the large marble altar (The very first altar as seen in the virtual city wsu link was a wooden altar and transferred to the basement church). The small section with the two pillar legs was simply moved forward to allow room for the priest to face the congregation. The tabernacle was kept on the larger back section. The Latin Mass was changing slowly to english (you didn't need a St. Joseph missal for translation). Once the huge canopy with the hanging crucifix was erected very little change ocurred to the altar besides the addition/removal of background drapes until the 70s. Communion was distributed at the communion rail. The altar boys would assist the priest by holding a paten underneath the communicant's chin just incase the host was dropped. The big change came in the 70s with the addition of the auxillary organ behind the altar. At the time I recall people questioning the expenditure of $50,000 for a 2nd organ when there was a beautiful organ in the choir loft (This is even before the magnificent present day pipe organ) Another huge change post Vatican II was the inclusion of lay ministers on the altar
(lecterns, eucharistic ministers later). and can you imagine "women on the altar" (besides the rosary altar society responsibilities). It was indeed a time of change....more than altars

Jcole

Post Number: 219
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to sing at the sat. night 'folk' mass when we had a young deacon who played guitar.I remember we were relegated to the basement at the 7:30(or was it 6:00) mass.
My father, who sang in the choir for many years, designated this the 'Hootenanny" mass, disparagingly.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 362
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday afternoon or night mass was yet another post Vatican II result. I might have seen you there. Those masses seemed at the time more intimate and relevant (to a high school/young college lad)....although the 10:30 high mass during 50s and 60s had a solemnity and pomp yet to be duplicated since then.

7andkelly

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the Hootenanny mass! Thought we were the only ones to call it that.

I think it was named for a TV show.

7andkelly

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were you the one who sang:

"Sons of God, here His holy Word. Gather round, the table of the Lord..."

Jcole

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andK,
those lyrics ring a bell.
Also, there was a TV show called Hootenanny. It was on in the early sixties.

7andkelly

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A hip young nun named Sr. Judeen (the singing nun) played the guitar and sang for us back in 67/68. She was one of the third grade teachers, but not mine. I had Sr. Joel Marie. Mrs. Hoovar taught one of them, and I don't know who had the fourth.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"....Eat his body, drink his blood and we'll sing a song of love,, aleu, aleu, alleluia...Those folk masses seemed so radical at that time didn't they? Goodness, playing a guitar and a tambourine instead of an organ. Does anyone remember the "Jesus" movement that was prevalent during the early 70s. It seems there were a few coffee houses on the northeast side that popped up during that era that catered to the then "Jesus freak" movement. Ah, the times were a changing. Any related stories??

Jcole

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in third grade, there was a Mrs. Huget as well as Sr. Joel Marie. Mrs. Huget was very young and had red hair. I'm pretty sure she was my teacher when the ceiling caved in in rm. 112

Jcole

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't a part of the Jesus Freak movement, but I was heavily into Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell. For some reason, the music and lyrics from those spoke to me more than a whole church full of priests and nuns.

7andkelly

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did room 112 face Rex? And do your remember Mrs. Sind being a sub? And do you remember Sr. Marie Raymond whom I had for 5th grade homeroom.

Jcole

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly, 112 was the end room on Rex and 7 mile corner. And it wasn't the room with the ceiling collapse, it was the room next to it. Would that have been 109??
Yes, Sr. Marie Raymond was there when I was in 5th. I didn't have her tho, I had Ms. Sayers. First name Gail. Gail Sayers. I don't think she played football, tho.

7andkelly

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Miss Sayers ("Ms" wasn't invented yet). I also had Sr. Celestine in Gr 5 for History and Geography.

In 6th, there was a Mr. Peters and a Miss Petrosky. They spent a lot of time together out in the hall or wherever. They got engaged that year and married. Both nice teachers.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might be wrong but didn't room 112 and 111 give way for the "new addition" with the niche in front for the statue that never was?

Jcole

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought those WERE 111 and 112. And weren't the corresponding rooms on the Maddelein side 113 and 114?

(Message edited by jcole on April 21, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole:

Yes! 111, Sr. Joel Marie's room, was at 7 and Rex and 112 across the hall from that. Then the flag pole court yard. We bought the flag pole with s&h green stamps, gold bell stamps, pop can tops or something like that. On the Madeline side were 113 (s side) and 114.

BUT, 7&kk may very well be right too in that there would logically have been a renumbering following that expansion. And also, I can't recall ever seeing a statue in that niche either.