Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through April 16, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's funny...my older sister lived in that area in an upper flat with her husband when they were first married in the late 50's. I don't remember the street...she's a widow now...still lives in GPW.

On the road for me tomorrow...will pick up when I return in a week...be careful of ES...I really think he's number 18976589 in the east wing at Jackson although he'll claim to be a psychologist in the Bay area.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does he claim to be a lot of different people? By that I mean is he delusional? Is the East wing the psych unit? :-)
Have a safe road trip.

Goblue

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, he's delusional as hell...its the result of his years spent on the Haight/Ashbury scene in the late 60's. There's a photo of him somewhere burning his draft card while giving the peace sign with one hand and the bird with the other.

Jcole

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where was he holding the draft card? In his teeth?

Goblue

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was in the "bird hand"...if I remember correctly.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Lappin, I used to ride over to Gem's barbershop over by Gratiot across from Monkey Ward's.

Mostly crew cuts and brush cuts. You didn't need a comb back then once you left that place. Come to think of it, I don't have much use for one now either.

My Mom never went there, even to drop me off. No girls or sissys with pink bikes were allowed in there, or within 100 yards of the building.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gems, one of many non-union barbershops that dotted the eastside map during the 60s... got many crew cuts or brush cuts there. Remember the $1 haircut (compared to $2.50 the union shops charged) but for a family with boys getting buzz cuts patronizing the $1 shop was the affordable option. Gems was always crowded..3 to 4 barbers and usually a 45 minute wait. An interesting time on the eastside were the "barbershop wars" (union vs. non-union) It got pretty heated. I remember picketers and broken windows at some of the non-union shops. Those shops seemed to have fizzled out during the late 60s probably due to longer hair styles, the use of hair stylist, and the solidarity of union barbers. There was another non-union shop on 7 Mile (not Moross) near the Obrien paint store and cleaners near Kelly. It was kind of tucked in east of Calcaterra funeral home...didn't last too long however. Of course, who could forget JBs barbershop on Kelly/Morros...the 7 K Kid can fill you in on that.

7andkelly

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of long hair...

My Dad and I were standing in the elevator at the Eastland Shopping Center J.L. Hudson store. It was probably Christmas Eve day, since that was one of the few times you would ever see my Dad in a department store.

I was like 6 years old, plus or minus, and there was this hippy person in there, and another unrelated miscellaneous lady. I looked at the hippy, and then in my normal loud kid's voice I asked my Dad: "Is that a girl or a boy?"

The woman in the elevator snickered. No, it was more of a snort. My Dad used every ounce of energy to prevent himself from busting out laughing right then and there. The story was told and re-told a thousand times. I never did get a straight answer.

If we get to see replays from our lives in Heaven, I'm sure my Dad's up there now asking St. Peter to rewind "just one more time" to that scene.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: Was there anything more demeaning to your manhood than driving down the street and checking out what you thought might be sweet looking thing, then as you're driving by staring finding out it's a guy!! It almost made you afraid to look after while to avoid the embarrassment.

7andkelly

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been there.

Zitro

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Of course I remember your dad. I don't remember the PP&K thing though. Possibly too young.

Jcole

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He got a bunch of PP&K packages, I think from the Lions, one year when he worked with the Goodfellows, and gave them away to the choirboys and some others. I remember a lot of little boys in my backyard having fun, and wanting one of the packages for myself.

Zitro

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have remembered that for sure. It sounds like I got ripped off! Great, another resentment to fight with

Zitro

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read Ed Chesney passed away. He sang in the choir for a number of years. A very accomplished sculpture. I believe he did the design/building of the backdrop of the alter at SJ when they re-did it around 1970 or so.

7andkelly

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: When you're on Ebay getting Zitro's PP&K kit he was cheated out of, order me one too! Since I was not in the choir, I guess I should reimburse you for mine.

A man can't have enough tools, flashlights or sports memorabilia, even if it is from the Lions.

Jcole

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's too bad. I don't remember him, tho.
I DO remember George Schaefer and Jasper. Weren't they a pair?

7andkelly

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Chesney at St. Jude, CO 72. Eventually, I will come up with a first name.

7andkelly

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chris?

Zitro

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dean. Here's the obit.

http://www.macombdaily.com/sto ries/041608/obi_obits04.shtml

7andkelly

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Different Chesney.

7andkelly

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Chris Chesney's Mom was a "duty lady" at SJS.

Zitro

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Duty lady", Now there was a thankless job.

7andkelly

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Had you been invited, you could have had one of these:

Zitro

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pin! Now I'm really starting to boil.

7andkelly

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll say. They made less than the nuns. Guess you could call them "nones"...but not to their faces because they were authorized to hurt you if you got out of line. From what I remember, they were all very nice, relatively speaking. And by relatively, I mean my Mom was one too for awhile.

Zitro

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't remember any being particularly mean. I suppose most of that is because we were demanded to respect authority or else! I don't think I called an adult by their first name until I was 18 and then depending who it was, still called them Mr. or Mrs.

Jcole

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, if I had one(pin not duty lady), I'd send it to you.
I don't remember the duty ladies that well. I remember being a duty girl in 6th, 7th and 8th grade. We got to wear those sexy white with green print arm bands with the elastic while we corralled the little kids on the playground. We didn't get to help them across the street. That was left up to the duty BOYS, who were apparently more adept at dodging cars than girls. Sexism in the classroom.

Zitro

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I appreciate the sentiment, I love pins. I have some baseball pins from around 1908 that are pretty cool.

7andkelly

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: ...to this day

Jc: nice save

Anyone else go to Dr. Shipko the dentist? I used to walk across Kelly for my appointments. I forget the street, but he was right by the Tastee freeze. Nice person, but I always hated that place.

The walls were paper thin, and they made you wait for a half hour our so while they were seemingly torturing their other patients. If I close my eyes, I can still hear the grinding drill, and all that screaming and moaning!

Jcole

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was McCormick St. next to the Tastee Freez. Do you remember the week TF would open, and every day they gave away some cheesy little gift, like a rain hat, for everything you bought.
I must have had 75 plastic rain hats over the years. i loved grape slushes.
Also, what about Famous Pizza and Bakery. you could go in there and buy a large with pepperoni for about 2.99.
Next to that was Amato's Music Studio. I took piano there(not very successfully, I might add)and bought a ton of sheet music. The dentist office was next to that, I believe.