Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through April 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: Thanks. Been there. They also have great runny eggs. Must try the gyros next time.

KR: Thanks for the update on room 112 before the expansion. If you can, try to fill in the missing pieces of the original configurations. What about room 100? Was this a larger room that later was split. Was it even a classroom at all in the beginning? Blueprints! We need blueprints! And you know where they are? Franks old boiler room!

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K - Room 100 wasn't really a large room - more like a connection between the two buildings that was made into a room. I don't think it could have ever been 2 rooms - especially with the class sizes. I started there in 3rd grade - Room 109, Mrs. Huget - so I'm not much help before that time.

Eastburntoo
Username: Eastburntoo

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG - I believe Cathy Avery graduated from SJS in 1959 with me. I remember her being slightly heavy featured with dark hair. Super nice gal, and never knew she became a nun after that, if in fact, we're talking about the same person.

I went to 6th grade above the gym, (can't remember room # but the SE corner room with Sr. Evangelita) and 7th grade in those portables with Mr. DeBoe or DeVoe (can't recall now). Just getting too old.......

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JJO

Zitro

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JJO II

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I posted this before, but does anyone remember Fr. Ording's anniversery celebration back in about 64. Each class put on an act in the bym honoring him. It was cute and fun.
I believe he started the St. Joseph parish over in Oxford on M-24. It's the church shaped like a cross on the west side of the road.

Zitro

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JJO III

Jcole

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was gym, not bym. No, we didn't have a secret room just for the celebration of anniversarys

Zitro

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JJO IV

Jcole

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also seem to remember at some time having a St. Patrick's Day celebration when we had Fr. Grady, Fr. Burns, and I don't remember who else where, on the little program, they listed the pastor as Fr. O'ding.
This could be wishful thinking or hallucination from back in my wilder days, but I swear it's true.

Zitro

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Choir

Jcole

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, you must have quite the archive of St. Jude weeklies. Really cool stuff.

Zitro

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I think this is the only one I have. You know, first time your mug gets published you gotta save it. The others are the actual programs from JJO's funeral. I kind of prided myself having the same initials as him. In fact his initials with his confirmation name were JJJO so I took on John as my confirmation name too.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely - love the pictures! What a wonderful photographic history. Hopefully, we'll all be able to get together and share these photos, etc.,
yes, J - we definitely would put on St. Patrick's day plays for Frs. Ording, Grady, O'Leary and O'Callahan.
Who are these people?

Jcole

Post Number: 253
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A, It's hard to see that choir pic. Is my Dad in there somewhere?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 365
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Room 100 was mystery room.....the room down the hallway where the boy's lavatory was located. My first grade classroom 103's windows faced inside to the patio, Didn't room 100's windows face the outside of the school instead of inside toward the patio? The view as I recall from that room was of the west wall of the gym and the portables and/or the incinerator. I'm sure when the school expanded in the 40s the aesthetics of window location and possible future development were secondary to the urgency of a booming school population. The room may have had a divider in it but I recall it only used as a single classroom. Funny thing the only time I was in that classroom was for science fairs. I do recall vividly however the upper 120 classrooms, the new wing opened in 1964 replacing the portables. I recall 6th grade, room 126, Mr Fleming, windows facing the back of the gym (no view and hardly any sunlight) but there were a couple of sky lights, flourescent lighting and lower ceiling and an all boys classroom... It felt like prison. Give me an old fashioned classroom with a high ceiling, high windows and natural light. The blue prints may have been kept in Frank's boiler room in a filing cabinet near the tunnel entrance or in the office in a filing cabinet where the PA microphone was located. Where are those blue prints now???? Frank, in the mind of a young lad, would not be the one keeping the blue prints...He was more of the go to guy, the purveyor of sawdust and the protector of property especially from those thugs south of 7 mi (lol)

Eastburntoo: It is interesting to recall 50 plus kids climbing up and down those gym stairs to attend class. My 6th grade class for the first part of the school year before the new wing was opened was actually on stage (never even closed the curtain)

Zitro

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember we sang at 2 St. Patrick days downtown on a float. We froze our asses off. That was one tradition I was glad to see go.

Jcole

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm having a bad typing day. That was supposed to be
Z, it's hard to see that choir pic. Is my Dad in there somewhere?

Zitro

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I think your dad is in the 3rd row 2nd from the right if I remember him right.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 366
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: Thanks for the choir pic. Is that Mr. Eck on the left front side of the picture?

Jcole

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that's him. I did an enlarge, and it's pretty fuzzy, but I recognize the glasses. thanks.

Jcole

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that would be Mr. Geck, wouldn't it? Wasn't he choir director before Schaefer?
Also, is Mike Sawicki in there?

Jcole

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Odd to think my Dad died only 10 yrs. later.

Zitro

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I tried to take a closer image but my camera won't zoom in enough to get a good resolution. Plus, the picture isn't that clear to begin with

Kellyroad

Post Number: 367
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: actually it was Mr, Eck or Ech? Mr. Geck may have been in the choir. you of course ran CC with his son Greg.

Jcole

Post Number: 258
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, I see Dan Carlin in that pic. He lives (or used to) up here in Almont. His son went to school with one of my daughters.

Jcole

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, you're probably right.

Jcole

Post Number: 260
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, thanks for trying. I appreciate it.

Zitro

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shaeffer is next to JC's Dad, I think it was his first year. I think Mr. Eck was just teaching band at this time, maybe piano. I know my brother and sister took classes from him. I also don't see Mr. Geck in here either. I don't remember him singing during my time. I remember him being a cantor.

Zitro

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Dan wasn't in the choir. Maybe I can identify who you think he is. Greg Zaydel is next to Mr. Bass in the 3rd row left.

(Message edited by zitro on April 22, 2008)