Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through April 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7580
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice comeback tonight but again, it's only one game. The bats need this sort of consistent firepower if we're going to be making any sort of run here. I know on paper they can do it but the game's still played between the chalk lines. Do it again, again AND again... and then repeat often.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4620
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So glad to be at that game tonight. Lots of energy during the comeback in the stadium. I'm sure emotions played a role in our secondary comeback.

Good to bounce back after all the errors and the Bobby Seay letdown.

Rookie08
Username: Rookie08

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminded me of the TIGERS of 2006! Hope for the quick turnaround. Go TIGERS

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 300
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willis, Wilson, Rodney, and Zumaya are still huge question marks for the Tigers during most or at least part of this season.

I think that the Tigers should have D-Train pitch in a few games @ AAA Toledo to see if he can regain control of his delivery. I have a bad feeling about him and could see him being a multi-million dollar bust for the Tigers.

Apparently Rodney is going to be examined tomorrow by a well-known surgeon for MLB pitchers: Dr.James Andrews. My question is...why did the Tigers' braintrust wait so long??

He hasn't pitched in a single game, including spring training.

Things that make me go hmmm...

Smogboy

Post Number: 7588
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another pulled out of the bottom of the 8th. Hmmm, none too shabby I'd say.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3023
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang, two great comebacks in a row. Mayhaps I was too quick in writing them off for '08.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7590
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say you guys were way too quick to jump the gun here. Has anyone taken a look at the American League Central? The teams that were supposed to contend (Detroit & Cleveland) are in the cellar and the lowly Kansas City Royals are leading the pack. Seriously how long do you folks think that will last? We're 4.5 games out of first place- which is chump change to make up. Conceivably that ground can be made up in a series sweep somewhere along this long season.

Fret not. The Tigers talent and veteran leadership will see us through this.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I said in the other thread, ask Philadelphia and Colorado fans how much the beginning of the season means. Sure you don't want to be in too big of a hole, but like college basketball, it's all about hang around, hang around, hang around, and then being hot at the right time.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7593
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a sentimental sappy note, it was good to see Craig Monroe out there again. Even if it was for the Twins.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6134
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good game. Probably missed out on one run just because Guillen couldn't hobble his way home from 3rd on an opportunity, but hopefully he'll start getting better soon.

Pitching wasn't too bad last night. I don't think anybody was throwing poorly, the Twins just got some good hits in. Luckily our offense did what we all know it is capable of, and got in more.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The D-Train needs to lose some weight to be effective, when he was lighter he was a beast.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4625
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders_field, I don't see Willis being a bust. Apparently this was the first career start he's ever missed. He's nothing if not durable, and control is generally not a long-term problem for someone with his experience.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 592
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

and control is generally not a long-term problem for someone with his experience.

Since 2005 his base on balls have increased each season, his strike outs have dropped and he has doubled his hit batters numbers. Two seasons running into a 3rd sounds like long-term problems, be it injury, weight or head-case. Control problems, if not fixed immediately almost always turn into long-term problems.

Rick Ankiel had 5 seasons to try and fix his control problems. He's now an outfielder.

There are very good reasons to be concerned about Willis, although I hope he can get it straightened out.

(Message edited by dds on April 16, 2008)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 687
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edgar Renteria...TOUCH EM ALL GRAND SLAM!

Cabrera with 4 RBIs...Great game so far

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what we were expecting. I was afraid that that the tigers had Lyin'itis. Go tigers, ROAR.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 594
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm having flashbacks from '92.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6150
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long did the top of the 5th last? 45 minutes? Nice to see Cabrera earning that money finally.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7597
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice cushion to give the rookie! WOW! talk about an outburst! Chasing CC Sabathia's no easy feat but then tossing 9 righties against him isn't a bad thing!

Smogboy

Post Number: 7601
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Armando Galarraga lookin' MIGHTY good right about now! He's not the second coming of Nolan Ryan but he's fared pretty darn well so far. Nice job youngin'! And thank the group of guys behind you for providing some solid run support as well.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6151
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grilli needs to put his resume on monster.com and find an office job. Worthless piece of crap on a consistent basis.

Great game though. Galarrga DOES look mighty good. Yeah he beaned a couple guys in the 7th, but who cares. He's a Hen, he went deep, and eventually got tired. I'll take it.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4429
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great game! This is the offense we've been waitin for and should see regularly!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4431
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After tis game, assuming the Tigers win, both the Tigs and the Indians will be 5-10, movin up up to tied for 4th!

Smogboy

Post Number: 7602
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What really got me was this quote from the AP article about the game afterwards:

"The first out of the Tigers’ sixth finally came on the 49th pitch"

That being said, I still expect to see the Tigers duking it out with this potent Cleveland team for the AL Central before it's all said and done.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rapata looks good. He replaces Bazarro who is not ready. Garrallo looked great tonight. Lopez is good. Beltran is gone.

Need to put Miner first, then Grilli on DL since there is no minor league option. Rehab assignment, delay, delay, delay. Bring up the best avail arm.

Looking better. We'll know in Sep/Oct if they already blew it, or if it didn't really matter, either way.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Rapata looks good. He replaces Bazarro who is not ready. Garrallo looked great tonight.

Wow, 0-3 there.

Rapada
Bazardo
Galarraga

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we're counting my errors spelling names, it's 3-3, since I spelled Lopez, Beltran and Grilli correctly.

And if you're not going to write in complete sentences, then the period is superfluous.

Anyways if Virlander piches as good as Friday and Leeland takes him out befour he hits his second batter we shud be ok

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: Priessliss LMAO

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still chortling-best laugh I've had today.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Galarraga sure did a good job, although I'm told that the Indians are in a bit of a blue funk now, anyway. Still, that was right on time. We know that when the pitcher and the batters are unfamiliar with each other, the advantage leans to the pitcher, but what the hell, it was still a good job.

We need to keep in mind that no starting job is available on a long-term basis. All five are locked up, although I wouldn't be surprised if Rogers would be willing to step back and let Galarraga have a couple of his starts; I mean, why would Kenny care? At this point, he's playing out the string on a long & successful career. It ain't like he's in the running to compile 300 Wins, or anything like that. But all of that is getting way ahead of ourselves, at the moment. It's just a thought. At any rate, Galarraga is sure to pick up Willis' next scheduled start, which should be Monday in Toronto, and they don't know him, either. After that-- depending on how the Toronto game goes-- Saturday, in Detroit, against the Anaheim Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim California Angels.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Bazarro" Clears Waivers