Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Condolidated Firehouses Archive » Archive through March 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2722
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw....thanks for posting that, DT.

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ffdfd: Different "MADDOG".
Pgn421: Tell Koz I am still waiting for
the Deck Guns.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 415
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tony-box- whats your email address? i will tell him.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B42PemSta@alol.com

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2731
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question for you fire laddies.

Out here in metro Las Vegas, fire vehicles come in three different colors. The City of Las Vegas uses red, Clark county uses yellow, and the suburb of Henderson uses white. Then there are BLM fire rigs that are green.

Back in the 'old days', all fire vehicles were red. To this old fart's thinking, that's the way they should be. I happened to see one of Henderson's snorkel units in action tonight, and it looked like a damn utility truck until you could see the markings. I guess the yellow and white rigs were thought to be more highly visible, but to me that's pure bullshit.

What's your views? I'd be most interested to know.

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 365
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like solid red. If you're worried about visibility, put more lights on it. 2 cents please.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a lady...keep the fire vehicles RED! I see a red truck that even looks official and I am moving out of the way. I was really disappointed when Detroit went from red rigs to that neon yellow. Fire vehicles should be noticeable no matter how far away one is.

** edited to correct spelling error

(Message edited by detroitteacher on February 17, 2008)

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that fire apparatus should be red. We made the switch back to red -- the last yellow rigs were replaced within the last couple years. There may be a yellow rig or two left that the shop can patch together as a spare, but all front-line rigs are red.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first rig in the D.F.D.painted Lime-Yellow
was the rehabed Boat Tender. We would tell the crew to park in the sun so the rig would ripen and turn red. I have always admired White over Red with Gold Leaf. The Black over Red is becoming popular. Seagrave mixed "Detroit Red " for D.F.D.Ihave heard that G.M. used Hawwiian Red for the Chiefs Tahoes.Not available for other vehicle.
Don't know that for sure.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 418
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony- Koz says you are welcome.

Dfd

Post Number: 366
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you guys get much ice up there today?

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 533
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did they make Firetrucks in the Detroit area?
Firetrucks Inc. comes to mind as I did work for them in the late 70's through North River Collision in Mt. Clemens.

Dfd

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Studebaker? Or did they just sell the chassis to a fire truck manufacturer.

Dfd

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey 7051, do you have any pics from January?

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23 and Dfd, there were several Fire Apparatus Manufactures in the Metro Detroit Area.
The 1st was General Fire Truck Corp. of Detroit, located on the east side, I believe out Jefferson around Water Works Park who made all types of apparatus using commercial chassis and custom made. During WWII they were one of the largest suppliers of O.C.D. apparatus used to protect the countrys industrial centers. Dearborn received 2 of these rigs
The 2nd being Proctor-Keefe, located on the Westside in the vicinity of Central & Dix a well know maker of early Squad Rigs, to many communities like Detroit, Dearborn, Harper Woods & Warren.
The 3rd was Fire Master in Mt. Clemens, which I believe became FTI. In Dearborn FD were I worked we had 2 FTI Pumpers on Ford Chassis a 1968 and a 1976.
Joyce Fire Apparatus on Sibley just off Telegraph in Brownstown Twp in the early 70's produced the Hi-Profile 4 x 4 TMS rigs for Detroit.
Outside the area was the John Bean Division of FMC in Lansing, they made High Pressure rigs.
In Battle Creek was the American Fire Apparatus Co. which made several different types of rigs

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spartan/Crimson is out of Charlotte Mi - out side of lansing. There's a company on the west side in South Haven (I think) that has made the RRTM squads that are across Michigan (most are black over red and since the state bought them they had to be built in MI.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 534
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FTI was located in Mt. Clemens off of Groesbeck and North Ave.?
I learned to drive a stick on their field pumpers for delivery. We did goldleaf and prep/paint for them. I moved on to R.S. Harper Custom Coach in Fraser and then to Complete Restorations on Joy Blvd. in Mt. Clemens and then United Coach in Pontiac.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No pics from January. I don't take them, they have usually been emailed to me by friends who know firebuffs/firefighters who visit from the east coast.

Maddog
Username: Maddog

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080229/COL 27/802290345/1007/NEWS05

http://firegeezer.com/2008/02/ 29/detroits-firehouse-roulette -fails-again/

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am really glad dad is retired. Working with that low of a staff is dangerous. For all on active duty...stay safe! A vacant building is nothing worth dying for...and while I realize that this is in your blood and saving folks is what you do, just be safe doing it.

Dfd

Post Number: 369
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised that the "Detroit Fire Dept. short on funds, lives could be in danger" thread didn't spark more interest.

Dfd

Post Number: 370
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone explain to me again how to post a long web address, but the only thing that appears on here is "click here"

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone is interested in Fire buffing or D.F.D.history Box 42 will be meeting Saturday March 15 at E.54 L.26 at 10:00.
Detroitteacher if dad is up to it bring him.
Grand River and Trinity.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tony, but dad runs a business and is working on Saturday :-(

Hockeypro
Username: Hockeypro

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony, do you have an email address i can get in touch with you re box 42? or you can email me at HOCKEYGUYLO@aol.com

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Detroitteacher. I hope to have a chance to talk to your dad in the future. If you are interested you are welcome. I will have copies of the new D.F.D History book for review.
HOCKEYPRO you can e-mail me at B42PemSta@aol.com.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If anyone is interested in Fire buffing or D.F.D.history Box 42 will be meeting Saturday March 15 at E.54 L.26 at 10:00.
Detroitteacher if dad is up to it bring him.
Grand River and Trinity.

10 o'clock? Are you guys going to help do hydrants? Big districts out there. :-)

(Message edited by ffdfd on March 11, 2008)

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony: I sent an email with info on how you can get in touch with dad.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ffdfd: As you know I am a life long east sider.
Took me a week to find E.54.Didn't think
they had plumbing across Woodward.
Detroitteacher: Read your e-mail. Didn't know that was your dad.

Dfd

Post Number: 371
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody have any new firehouse pictures?