Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through April 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan was in the pic that Campfire posted. Sorry about the confusion.
Oh, wow, I remember Milt Bass. He was a good friend of my dad.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Also I don't think Mike S. was in the choir yet at this point.

Zitro

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary Victor is the kid in front of Mr. Bass and the kid in between Victor and kid next to him is Paul Avery.

Jcole

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are you? And don't say Iowa

Zitro

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Now do you honestly think I would be that sarcastic? I'm the little shaver 2nd from the right in the front row. "I must be in the front roow" - Bob Uecker

Jcole

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I live with sarcasm, so I never know.
I enlarged the pic, did a couple of repairs, and I can see it a little better now. I do see that 2nd from right is the same kid I used to follow around.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Good work so far. For extra credit, your homework for tonight is to go down to Fedex/Kinko's and get this entire issue scanned into pdf format. I need to read about the Teen Club, the Marriage Banns, and all that.

In 65, Paul Bass would have been 7. Is he in the picture?

Jcole

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that headline for the teen club. Who remembers the sock hops in the gym? I think Fr. Burns was in charge in our day. I seem to remember a fist fight breaking out and hearing him say 'No fisticuffs, boys, no fisticuffs, now."
On the St. Jude website, it says Teen Club wasn't established until '73. Think we should send them the headline?
I, too would love to see the marriage banns. I think my sister Liz got married that year in May.

Zitro

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can transpose it to PDF, but I don't think it will upload. There is a very, very interesting article about race relations that I really wanted to put on here. Considering this was 1965 it really was an eye opener. Paul would not have been in this pic.

Jcole

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you put it in pdf, I for one will post my email at the risk of having it harvested for spam til the day I die. At least, I'll post my yahoo or gmail one.

Zitro

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Images must also be saved in either .jpg, .jpeg, or .gif file formats

7andkelly

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need a website or something like Youtube, and then we would just need to post links. Must...put...thinking...cap... on...

7andkelly

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That reminds me of the placards in all of the school rooms that said: "THINK"

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 368
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zitro: if you have photoshop or any other photo imaging editor. pictures can be scanned or articles can be scanned, file saved, and image enlarged. you don't necessarily need a lot of pixels per inch (pdi), under 100 will produce pretty nice quality. There is a limit on the size of the file that can be uploaded in the discuss detroit site. 550 pixels on one picture side will do nicely. You don't necessarily have to save as a pdf either. "save for web format" and use "low quality" and yes jpg format is fine. Bottom line: make sure the size of the picture, especially ones with group shots or lettering are enlarged for viewing: By the way THANKS for all the great postings.

JCole: I agree: The teen club was around in the 60s. Although I didn't belong to the club I do recall the hayrides, picnics, or trips to edgewater park that were reported in the St. Jude Calendar during that era.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 369
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Yes "THINK" placed right above the cursive alphabet on top of the chalk board. That advice is still very applicable today, isn't it?

Zitro

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have it converted to a PDF file if anyone wants it. The picture is very grainy, but you can read the text fine. The ads are great too, you forget about some of the stores that advertised. Let me know. I'll try to work on a better pic, but for now it's yours for the asking.

7andkelly

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Thank you very much! Please send this to sjnostalgia@yahoo.com

Zitro

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: It's on its way. Enjoy!

7andkelly

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

didn't get it yet. The address is easier to read in all caps: SJNOSTALGIA@YAHOO.COM

Zitro

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It didn't come back, so it must still be on it's way. Keep me informed.

Jcole

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, can you send it to jmarkow1@charter.net

7andkelly

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got it! WOW!

I see there were 11 Masses on Sunday, 6 up and 5 down. The Teen Club run by Tom Genord (Lynn's older brother?), Gary White, Dave Gorski, Pat Nalley (from Saratoga and a current priest?), Dianne Berra, Joe Sind and others was planning a Bob-Lo trip. The Banns, the Altar Society news, the ads, and on and on and on.

Thank you Z!

Zitro

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I just sent it.

Zitro

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the Normalcy-Not So Easy piece was interesting. Not too much has changed in some ways.

7andkelly

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conversations are a lot more normal now, and much of the fear is gone, but for some there remains this seemingly persistent divide.

Jcole

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was interesting to see the price of a roofing job. $235.
And $1.50 at Perini's for the Roast Turkey dinner.
Also, Jim Dennis' mom being in charge of the migrant food drive, and they were trucking the food up here, to the town next to were I now live.
Small world.

7andkelly

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Perini's is still around, and I hope it is, the $1.50 coupon has no expiration date!

Jcole

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw that Kathy MacDonald was up for Treas. of the teen club. She's my sister's sister in law now.

7andkelly

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucky!

Zitro

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: Could you imagine trouncing out that coupon 43 years later!