Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Heilmann Park Revisited.....Dawn of a new day » Heilmann Park Revisited - Archives » Archive through April 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - "They don't do Indiana"........Is the ISU pic in your wallet?

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Naw...found it in a box of old WMU photos...I was glad that I never heard from her...it would have scared the hell out of me if I had...it would not have been good news, she had a guy back on campus and I had SE59 in Detroit...what happened in Ft. Lauderdale stayed in Ft. Lauderdale...thank God!

(Message edited by GoBlue on March 06, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Maybe SE 59 and ISU are living in Vegas..so they can stay there and not bother anyone....????

Goblue

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: No such luck...at least about SE59...she still lives in Kzoo a mile or so from my daughter. She manages to show up just about every time that we're visiting...just to let us know that these are HER grandchildren. Of all the dumb things I ever did in my life! Oh well...

Eastside61

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Hang tight.....remember the Eastside slogan...that SE 59 I am surely knows but does not want to practice...."What goes around Comes around".......good for you to make the visits to K and spend time with the Grand Children.......

Goblue

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: In short...the bitch will get her's...maybe not in my lifetime though...no sign of it happening after 36 years.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - As mentioned here on DY...I will keep the SE pennant and those memories for me......you get the CSI selected gift for wearing the same maze/blue underwear for 53 days in a row.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Not the same set! I own 53 sets of the same thing...saves time trying to figure out what to wear each morning.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - laundry only 6 times a year......I guess in the high desert one needs to save water for Tango.......does Tango wear a maze/blue saddle blanket......??????

Goblue

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: No maize and blue saddle for Tango...he wears a Tucker...but he is food driven...would stand on his head for a candy mint.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Be nice to Tango.........and remember to wear your helmut so that you will not suffer a TBI prior to writing "EASTSIDE......"

Goblue

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Tango has been known to express his pissed off frustration with a flip of his heels with or without me in the saddle...he is a hand full...not a horse for a green rider...I always wear a helmet.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you wear one at Heilmann when you played defense......or only in the dark at Ballduck or under the Blue Spruce on Farmbrook???

Goblue

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: The Heilmann league was in the pre-helmet days...hence at least one concussion. Not exactly sure when the use of helmets started...I started wearing on in the late 70's in A2. No helmets were needed for other "sports".

Eastside61

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: your Farmbrook princess is currently visiting her brother in FLA.....want the e mail or phone number???? I wonder what she remembers about the Blue Spruce?

Goblue

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Thanks, I'll pass...some things are best left alone...sorta like sleepin' dogs...memories are better than reality.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: It could create a lot of trouble.... In passing since TT and I e mail each other during the week that you and I are also in contact with each other......so if needed it was the middle man from Jan 61 that stirred up the pot.....I said stirred not smoked! Did Tango miss you?

Goblue

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: As long as Tango gets fed he doesn't worry about who is doing the feeding...SMcC-T had horse duty for the week I was gone.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of great memories of Heilmann Park and pool. Open swims and all that. Of course, it was better before the pool was enclosed.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: did you ever play ice hockey at Heilmann? GB is a hockey legend along with the Osborne and Cooper brothers....

7andkelly

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only hockey for me was street hockey, usually with a tennis ball. One kid actually had a het in his backyard with the orange plastic hockey balls.

I used to slap shots off of my garage door over and over and over and over again. Why my neighbors just didn't shoot me is a mystery.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: It wasn't until be moved to Mapleridge (end of 7th grade) that we really got into playing hockey. We called it BYH (Back Yard Hockey) we had a great cement surface and had two goals,etc. We played YEAR round... We have been playing ever since... No matter where as the last time I played was last summer in Traverse City when visiting my younger brother.... BYH was going strong on his driveway....

Great stuff was generated while living on the EASTSIDE....that has lived on....

Goblue

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BYH with a tennis ball wasn't HOCKEY! We called that "sissy stick"! No blood on the ice...no hockey!

7andkelly

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No pads, no mask, no cup, no ref, no rules, cement surface, freezing our butts off, and/or sweating like pigs...I'm pretty sure that's the very definition of courage.

Sissy? NOT!

Goblue

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No blood on the ice...no hockey! If we didn't leave blood on the ice we hadn't played the game! Its hard to imagine blood on the driveway with a tennis ball slapshot...a frozen puck cuts...a tennis ball tickles.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Calm down... you are starting to sound like Jjaba. BYH was played when one was not at Heilmann, Gordie Howe's Rink, or games at 2 am in Sarnia, Dearborn and who knows where. 7K is right....it was played 13 months a year.... worn out sticks.... various tennis balls and a lot of fun..... I played BYH last summer in TC even before I moved my luggage into my brothers house for my vacation.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Harrrhumpfff....sissy stick!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never played sissy stick OR ice hockey, but I sure did love open skating at Heilmann on, I think, Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. I spent an amazing amount of time on the rink in 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade, and never did learn how to stop on skates without running into the green wooden walls. We played Crack the Whip using my striped scarf to hold onto until it was at least 9 feet long and only 4 inches wide. I think I had my first kiss on that rink.
Summertime in my early teens was spent on the 'Anthill' and the swings.
Ah, sweet youth!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Hamhumpff PinHeads... wasnt that the name of your hockey team at Heilmann? Jjaba in goal ? BYH WAS NOT sissy stick...ever!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 326
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: I believe my first stops were on the green boards at Heilmann about the 6th grade. Ist lessons were in the back yard. One winter there was an early thaw then a quick refreeze. Our back yard did have a two car garage but a 40 ft wide lot and along with the recently closed alleys a decent sized back yard rink was created. A visit to Vetere hardware on 7 mile for hockey skates (and don't let Go blue know...later ankle supports) started my skating career in the back yard for a week then it was off to Heilmann. Still remember the ankles flopping like a fish...could never get those skates tight enough...Hot chocolate, frozen feet, the speakers playing top forty songs. crack the whip, crashing into the boards.....Where are the outdoor rinks now??? Before Heilmann pool was enclosed and the community center built there was only skating/hockey at Heilmann during the winter months. That was THE recreation for the northeast side at the time...long ago and far away.