Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Denby High school » Denby HS Archive of Archives » Archive through April 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6310
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10 or 20 miles from the Westside, Denby is still a world away. Going to the Eastside, fill the tank, lock the doors and pack a lunch.

jjaba.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba...you forgot...also, bring extra ammunition.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6314
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue, that's a constant. jjaba never travels alone or at night. He's always got his friend by his side.

jjaba, West of Woodward Avenue.

Goblue

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Wow...you surprised me with that one...the only time I carry is when we're hiking in the wilderness...gotta be ready for four-legged nasties...plus the two-legged.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Jjaba only knew how to pack his lunch when he went to Jr HS....
Older senior citizens should not be out at night anyways.....

ES61 - East of Eden......and certainly East of Woodward

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opening Day at Good Old Denby High

Eastside61

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! Great to see Jjaba...second from the left in the white dress and hat....Nice westside leg action Jjaba. You westside foxes had a lot of style.

GB: I see your first prom date sitting next to Jjaba.....

ES61 - Totally Kelly Rd

Detroitgig
Username: Detroitgig

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61
Re:Duchess A&W. My parents owned it in the mid 60's, until it was bought out by NBD and turned into a parking lot. It's still there. Lot's of good memories there. There used to be a import car dealership across the street and a slot car track next to it.

Goblue

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Great pic...was that your first keynote address? Didn't you wear that same suit to graduation?

DetG: Your folks owned the Duchess a little after me...my time was the late 50's...I don't recall it being an A&W in those days.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I loved that suit....and meeting Jjaba who was seated to my right for the first time was just amazing. Jjaba was sweating profusely during the whole ceremony and I think ruined that white dress....but was able to save the shoes. jjaba wanted to be seated on the eastside of the stage that faced Payton St....and the parking lot that you made famous in the late 50's...

ES61 "Looking East" and never lost like westsiders

Eastside61

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I loved that suit. It was also amazing the Jjaba who was seated to my right during the speech was sweating profusely throughout the ceremony. It an sure the Jjaba ruined the white dress but was able to save the shoes for other Eastside events. jjaba was also insistent that he needed to be seated on the eastside of the stage that looked out towards Payton St and the Denby parking lot that you made famous in the late 50's.

ES61 Always Looking East and assisting westsiders who are lost....

Goblue

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: You must have left your hat somewhere while the pic was taken...I remember that you were the only kid out of almost 5K who wore a homburg in 1960...it went well with the briefcase you always carried...small wonder SH dumped you.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6316
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The speaker is the Principal of Cass Technical High School, Mr. Feigelmeyer, welcoming Denby graduates to re-apply and get a real high school education downtown at his place. He offered a lottery since not one Denby student could get in on merits.

jjaba, CT Grad, 1959, Printing.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Fess up......you were on the stage ... In the white dress ... and later that day you were filling out your application to enter Denby.... but later had to attend CT ... because it was discovered that you actually lived on Northlawn....and delivered the Det. Times most of the time....Feigelmeyer was a locker room attendant at Denby from 1956 to 1969.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6318
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61, you are right about Mr. Feigelmeyer. He was totally qualified as Locker Room Attendant to open Denby. The man to the left of him is Dr. Seymour Lipschitz, Principal at Cass Tech. at the time. Again, jjaba has never been within 10 miles of the place.

jjaba, Proudly Detroit Times old newsboy.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Feigelmeyer and Lipschitz are all graduates of Roosevelt, Durfee and Central......come clean about your life on the EASTSIDE before you, GB and myself head for the foot of Lakewood......

ES61 - Proudly hangin' at the Det News substation at Nottingham and Morang....

Eastside61

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: CSI inquiries will need to be formulated and ready to be sent by 5/31/08. SJ INFO is still available at a nominal small price....think about it! NO VOUCHERS will be accepted for Information.

Goblue

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: How about an IOU? I'll start picking up pop cans...things are tough these days.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: rumor has it that you may still have some S&H Green Stamp books in the garage at home. Minimum 3 Books/ inquiry....

Goblue

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: There may be a few books left over...my folks used S&H Green stamps to get my first set of golf clubs...1 & 3 wood, 3,5,7,9 and a putter, plus a bag...I used them to make the TAR team...they got them buying gas...for probably 15 cents a gallon. They bought me a full set of clubs for my 16th birthday...my son still has them...persimmon heads on the woods.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: See these is vital info for the BOOk....and that dork Ghetto buttheadfly is trying to stop this great historical information
Shame on her!
ES 61 - Mapleridge guardian of Renee (I wish)

Goblue

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: What makes you think that Ghetto is a "her"...in either case...a drop out is a drop out.

BTW...I sent Lowell $20 and want to encourage others to do so. I got a nice thank you note from him.

GB...Fordham guardian of SR (truly).

Eastside61

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Even though you never set foot inside GAngels in all your years on the Eastside.....You do remain the GA of all SR secrets and memories

As for GhettoDorkFly: She didn't live on Northlawn with jjaba - did she really????

Jjaba

Post Number: 6327
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Eastsider was ever allowed in jjaba's house. That settles it.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Goblue

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw come on now Jjaba...what about that cute fox from the east campus? 'Fess up!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: You clown You remember the famous Cass Tech cheer

"EAST is EAST the West is the least".... OK J boy start cheering!
East Campus.... DO you think she remembers you???

ES61 Proudly, Compass Direction is always EAST

Goblue

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: Common! Let's hear about the East Campus fox! As I recall her name was Sheila...true? The tradition at WMU was to kiss your girl under the light at the top of the hill on the East Campus...was that Sheila you kissed? 'Fess up Jjaba!

GB Proudly a bucking Bronco

Jjaba

Post Number: 6332
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East Campus of Western Michigan Univ. is exactly 140 miles from the Eastside of Detroit. Apples and oranges.
Celery Capital vs. ribbon farms.
Kalamazoo Direct to You vs. Car Shop Johns.
Papermills vs. car stamping plants.
Bells Beer vs. Kielbasa.

jjaba, sociology of two places.

Goblue

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: You are a cruel person! Pointing out the obvious was cruel! lol

Eastside61

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: jjaba is Eastside....He looks like the E boys of Mapleridge... My father initially worked on the westside.... No! It isn't what I think... Jjaba is actually my westside brother who wants to come home to the eastside.... ????