Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through April 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Flanders_field, for sharing that. I'm glad to hear it. I think that guy has potential. His spring was thrown off by a death in his family and some physical aches & pains. I didn't want him to "get claimed off the wire."

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Yes, chortling is the word for the day. In fact, I'm chortling MAO right now! Thanks, Cfg.

Ravine

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I'm just a soft-hearted fool, but I find this story to be pleasing. Ex-Tiger prospect Gabe Kapler launches a comeback:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/s tory/8043672?MSNHPHMA

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I could give a shit about your grammar (and mine). But you weren't even close to spelling the players' names right. I apologize for being a dick about it (but I don't mean it), but you know, lighten up.

Actually, you also spelled Miner right. Congrats. Also, your post ridiculing me began a sentence with "and." This could be fun, let's do this more ;)

(Message edited by focusonthed on April 17, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Piece dude! Cool; I'm 4-3.

What I'm afraid I'm right about is Miner stinks now, and I feel bad for saying it because he's a great guy and I'm sure a great teammate, but he's got to go and he's out of options, and Leland still likes him, so we need Dumbrowski to step up and do the right thing.

Leland's going to play his players...so he puts Miner back in again today with the game still relatively within reach, and it's double, triple, home run, and he still leaves him in.

Does this frustrate me? Yes!

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miner completes the Grilli Cycle: single, double, triple, HR, BB and in one inning vs the Indians who batted around as well...

Congrats Zach!!

Tigers drop back into the CD cellar all by their lonesome, with the 11-1 loss, and JV has pitched as if he is having his "sophomore slump" instead as a junior this season.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 371
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice day at the Tigers game today. First time I've been to the Skydome when the lid has been open in April. Lots of Tigers fans. Thoughts - Rayburn is a very good hitter. When will we ever get a good outing from Verlander or Bonderman? Cabrera is not a 3rd baseman. I really doubt he can run well enough to play the outfield either. $20 million a year for a hitter is a lot of money.

Ravine

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but he's a lot of hitter.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7629
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Cabrera doesn't exactly look too shabby at 1B either when he's been asked to fill in.

So he's not exactly Golden Glove material yet but he seemed committed in the off season to working out and improving. For a guy who's never hit any less than .300 in a season with some power, his price tag isn't that bad. AND he's still got an amazing upside to him with his age. Imagine what he's going to be like when he really starts improving. Theoretically this is the guy who could break some of the more hallowed records in the sport (HRs, RBIs, etc.).

Ravine

Post Number: 2233
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a rough formula: If a guy's R+RBI=3000 or more, he should be in the Hall of Fame.

Cabrera is about one-third of the way there, and he just turned 25 yesterday.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5914
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrera isn't quite the hitter yet--this year. He's not terrifying many pitchers...

Currently, in MLB he's 86th in batting average (.281) with 7 walks and 14 SOs, tied at 35th with 35 others with only three HRs, and is 32nd (with nine others) in RBI with 12.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I anticipated Miggy starting out slowly this season with a new team and more pressure to perform with a...gulp..."contending" team.

I despise the Tigers pitching giving up a MLB leading 88 walks so far this season. and for the piece de resistance, they ALSO have nearly a half-run higher ERA (5.70) than the next worst team.

...oh yeah, Jaque Jones has actually managed to make me miss seeing Craig Monroe at bat so far this season.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on April 20, 2008)

Flanders_field

Post Number: 310
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nate serves up a fat meatball to the Tigers' old nemesis from the 06 WS, MVP David Eckstein, and he gives it a ride out of the ballpark in Toronto for a three run HR to take the lead in the 4th, 5-2.

The "heart" of the Tigers batting order has almost completely flatlined so far today.

Carlos, Maggs, and Miggy all K in the top of the 7th, Leyland needs to find the defibrillation paddles quick!!

CLEAR!!

(Message edited by Flanders_field on April 20, 2008)

401don

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6-13

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 620
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What saddened me was not what happened at Rogers today but what happened in Atlanta.

Jurrjens pitched another good game (7 innings, 3 hits, 1 run).

Can't have too much pitching, er, can't get enough for DET.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7300
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bonderman SUCK!

Velander also SUCK!

Leland burned out his pitchers but the batting is good.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7638
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, more brilliant words of insight from Danny. Sigh, strike up my Sarcasm Meter.

Fine, don't like them... follow someone else's team then. See if we care who you follow.

Yes, the Tigers can play much better. Leyland just has to stay on top of his team that much more during these first few weeks. Does he need to? He shouldn't because these guys are pros but sometimes a little nudge here or there doesn't hurt. Overall team batting average is .258 which is totally unacceptable. The bats need to wake up and be much more timely. I think that's the major difference from the two years past. it wasn't that the Tigers were going yard with the ball so much, but when there were men in scoring position, they found a way to generate that run and score him. I don't recall the Tigers ever exploding for runs in big bunches; but they would slowly chip away. Maybe it just needs to be that simple of hitting small ball again. Quit going for the fences and go station to station again. But that's my armchair managing- I leave it up to Leyland because I trust the man's baseball acumen. He'll turn them around.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6230
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conjugation SUCK!

401don

Post Number: 378
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Galarraga pitched great again and don't look now but we have a bullpen! The upside of Galarraga is we can ship out Grilli or Miner when Willis returns.

7andkelly

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why wait?

Ship Miner out now. We have Lopez, Rapada and Bautista playing well, and Jones still getting it done. Cruceda's on the way.

Bonderman's a head case, but he's our head case. We have to keep him just to prevent the Yankees from getting him. Besides he's giving up two less runs during the first two innings this year than last. Next time he's messing up in the first or second inning, Leland should just go out to the mound and b**** slap him!

Verlander? You try pitching a no-hitter. Bad start? Yes. Costing us the playoffs this year? Quite possibly. Trade Verlander now? Heck no!

7andkelly

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Miner, Leland needs to do his best Sgt. Carter imitation, i.e., in your face yelling at him until he improves.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure there is anything more irritating than that little girly hat adjustment Minor does on the bill of his cap, especially when he's getting whacked around. Both him and Grilli have had their chances, let the new guys give it a rip. It looks like they actually have a pair when their in there vs. those 2 who are so afraid to pitch to contact.

7andkelly

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could you imagine what Billy Martin would do these guys? Now there was a guy who truly wanted to win every game.

Zitro

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately the days of in your face managing are just about over. They don't have have a long shelf life. Not that Billy ever did. I think he got into a fight with one of his players at Lindell AC after a game. I sure wish some of our Latin players showed a little more emotion when they strike out or mess up. The only one I ever see that shows disgust in himself is Pudge.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6261
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maggs shows disgust, you just have to look real hard. He has subtle disgust.

Zitro

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess you're right. He's showing it more this year, I think because of the overall pressure on the team. It's gotta be tough when everyone's gunning for you right off the start.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 694
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

annnnnnnnnnd GOOOOOOD BYE BASEBALL!

back to back, maggs and miggy!

D_mcc

Post Number: 695
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and almost a third in a row from JJ...what a beaut for a triple!

D_mcc

Post Number: 696
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

annnd ramon santiago! 2-run shot!

Ravine

Post Number: 2241
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Twins player who fought with Martin at the Lindell was pitcher Dave Boswell.