Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through April 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucky! The only souvenir I have from that block is an old pill bottle with the 4 teeth Shipko pulled in prep for orthodontics. Not sure why I still have them. When I see the therapist for this new blogging addiction, I should bring that up.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The blogging addiction just keeps you from driving your family nuts talking about the good old days. The teeth thing on the other hand...

7andkelly

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I can let that go.

But I'm hanging on to my PF flyer whistle, my Bazooka Joe stuff, and my Beatle's records. That's all I need. And the remote control...

...unless I can make some $s on ebay. Then, they're history!

Jcole

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I talk a good game, but I still have all my Barbie's, teeth marks in the ankles, and all.
My daughter's got good use from them after I did, so I don't think EBay wants them, but I can't seem to get rid of them.

Jcole

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sitting here listening to helicoptors buzzing overhead. I'm about 10 miles from where the guy shot the police chief and county sheriff this afternoon in Capac, and they spent 6 hours trying to talk this guy out of his house, only to find out he already was. Out of his house, that is. He somehow got away while they were all on his front lawn. I feel so safe right now. My dogs (two very nervous Shih-tzus) are on top of the situation, tho.

7andkelly

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beeeeeeeeeeee careful!

Speaking of police...

Usually it's me that gets stopped for traffic stuff, but yesterday, I'm on my way home from the Tiger game, and I'm on Schoehner and I get stopped by a train...one of those trains where you turn your car off so you don't die from the fumes or run out of gas.

So it's a long train, and it f i n a l l y passes, and it's taking f o r e v e r for the gate to lift up even though the train is like a mile away already.

Well this guy next to me in a pickup truck had had enough, and he whips out into the oncoming lane and around the gate past the tracks. Next thing you see is a modern day gum ball machine light up, and this guy gets stopped. Then the gate lifts up, and the rest of us lucky saps get to go through.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: It must be comforting to know those Shih-tzus are there for you. Are they trained attack dogs?

Jcole

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they found the perpetrator of the police shooting. Unfortunately, my Shih-tzus were not instrumental in his apprehension.

Zitro

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Famous Pizza was a good deal, but the best was Fantasy Bowling alley's pizza. It was little farther to drive to, but worth it. I never cared for Aldo's I always thought it was too greasy.

Jcole

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fantasy had the best pizza in our area, but you couldn't beat the price on Famous. You had to go a little further, but Cloverleaf on Gratiot had fantastic deepdish, comparable, if not better than, Buddy's.
The cool part of Aldo's was that you had to pick it up at the alley door. Seemed shady ,somehow.

7andkelly

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All these were better than the cardboard pizza served at the NDHS cafeteria. I used to bring my own lunch most of the time. No lines...better food.

The ONE time I decided to drive "off-campus" for lunch, I get called into the dean's office, and then he comes up with this laundry list of other offenses. It was a good thing actually. My reputation needed a little spicing up at the time.

"Hey, dude, heard the warden called you in".

"Yeah, man, I'm on probation".

"Cool".

Zitro

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About the only good thing on the menu you could trust at NDHS were the french fries. Conrad Vachon was always on the prowl for us cross country runners not to be eating them because of the grease, so you had to always be careful not to get caught. That was the first time I ever saw guys putting mustard on fries, I couldn't believe it.

7andkelly

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vachon was in charge during CO '76. He could be a real lunatic at the pep rallies.

Somehow our student leaders convinced him into adding a smoking section to the cafeteria, abolishing the dress code, and something called "open campus", which I somehow confused with being able to come and go as we pleased.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 343
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mustard on Fries! Yea Zitro I got up in that cult at ND. That may have been the last time too.
Finally got deprogrammed.

Yea pizza at Fantasy was great. During my early years on Eastwood, there were no chain pizza places nearby...So the ma and pa places were prominent.

Question: (I don't know the answer) What was the name of the burger joint that went in the location where the tastee-freeze was located on Kelly and McCormick?

Question 2: What year did the Little Ceasers go in on Kelly?(I believe right next door to Werner's Rosewood Lounge

7andkelly

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that place. You could eat inside. A lost dog wandered by one day and I walked him over there for a cheeseburger. I tried to keep him at my house, but he wandered off again.

Was it Tastee's?

Zitro

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know what? That rings a bell now.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Did you ever think the dog may not have wanted cheese on its burger?

7andkelly

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't think of that. Now I have guilt!

Jcole

Post Number: 212
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K, of course you have guilt, you're Catholic.

7andkelly

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're probably right. All this blogging is triggering memories of old stuff I had long forgotten, like giving this poor lost dog the cheeseburger.

Needing that light reinstalled above the SJ confessional more and more now.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on April 17, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember a store called Merchandise Mart? I used to go there with my Dad, and get cool stuff like garden hoses, or kite string, or car wax. It was on Hayes or Kelly Rd just past Houston-Whittier and the Civic Theatre.

Mrs. Pecar the piano teacher lived nearby. She was not too distantly related to the family who owned Pecar Electronics on Morang.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 353
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Merchandise was one of the super hardware stores open in the area (not a lowes or home depot but it was bigger than Bridagares or Vetere). The closest hardware store by Merchandise Mart was ACE on Houston-Whitier and Hayes. We use to get bike tires at MM. MM had more discount prices and a bigger selection than ACE. Thanks for the blast from the past...almost forgot all about MM

If you are familiar with Eastwood, there was the McKitrick (sp) family that lived between Rex and Redmond. A Pecar family moved into the McKitrick house..They have since moved out to the far suburbs

(Message edited by kellyroad on April 19, 2008)

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are any of you old enough to remember the girl who lived between rex and redmond on my side of Eastwood.....who in the early 50's visited the army base to many times ... which later became the SJ playfield in front of Heilmann.... she became pregnant .... They lived in the colonial in about the middle of the block...

7andkelly

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since there's not that many colonials around, it has to be the Aubreys' colonial, but the real question is who did they buy it from.

A vague memory of porch side conversations on their glider suggests to me there was some sort of a controversy surrounding those old owners, but I don't know for sure. They could have left them with a leaky basement, or not made their payments, all the way up to going berserk over their daughter.

Or the controversy was about another owner.

Cool. A mystery.

7andkelly

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of the Civic Theatre area, I worked stock at SS Kresges for a while. It was a cool place to work. I didn't mind the stockroom being in the basement, except when we had to bring up the top soil. We had one of those soda fountain counters, but I usually skipped ours and went next door to Sanders. My friend's mom was a manager there, and gave me a free boston cooler or cherry ice cream sunday with cherries and cherry sauce on top ever time I went in for my breaks. It doesn't get much better than that!

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the yo-yo contests in the alley behind Kresges? I forget if it was Duncan or Cheerio who sponsored them. Think it was Cheerio, but not sure.

I bought an acoustic guitar from Grinnell’s (next to the Civic) in ’62 when I was in college and into the folk music craze. Sold it two years ago for $700, enough to cover the insurance co-pays for my knee operation with a little left over. But it’s another case of me not taking good care of my stuff. That year and model in like new condition was bringing over $1200 on eBay.

Last time I was in that area was the mid-1980s. I stopped at the drug store that used to be Cunningham’s (corner of Houston – Hayes), and definitely got the impression that I should not be there. I may have driven by once or twice since then, but I never got out of the car again.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: Re your April 4th post. I remember a family named Krupa who lived on Tacoma west of Hayes. Probably not the same family though. They had a grown son named Archie, but I don’t remember any Sharon. Had a cottage next to ours on Harsen’s Island.

Jcole: Re another of your April 4th posts. I remember squeezing through the milk box too. I always used to throw my baseball mitt in the milk box because I was too lazy to take it into the house. One day I didn’t look first and shoved three bottles of milk through the inside door and down the basement steps. We had an Awrey man too. His name was Red. He had the specials written on the side of his truck, and we little kids would always rub them out when he drove by. One day he had enough, jumped out of the truck, grabbed a couple of us and roughed us up a little. Didn’t hurt us any, but scared the crap out of us. From then on we left his truck alone.

7andkelly

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD, I worked at Kresge's in 76/77. Cunningham's was there, but I don't remember the yo-yo contests. Since you're a guitar guy, you might have been over to Pecar's on Morang. Not sure if Weinstein's didn't even sell equipment. But Grinnell's was a big deal for a long time. My buddy bought most of his drum set over there.

Around that time, I had a some thugs try to car-jack me on SB Hayes at Whittier. I was able to swerve out of there, but they were chasing me down Hayes over 90 MPH. I didn't even stop for the Outer Drive light. Knowing the area, I ducked down a side street toward Chalmers one block before the normal cut through to SB Chalmers on route to I94. As I suspected they went to the next block to cut me off, but I turned right instead of left onto Chalmers, and they got stuck behind traffic at a light. Full credit to my Guardian Angel that night, and none to me.

Jcole

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD, what schools did you attend, if you don't mind my asking. I have sisters and brothers who would be roughly your age.
I never did understand the point of a milk chute. If you weren't home when milk was delivered, wouldn't leaving it in a hot little box for hours kind of ruin it?
Our milk man and the Awrey's guy had full permission to walk in and put stuff in the fridge. If coffee was on, they'd help themselves.
We got great service.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: After sleeping on it for the night, I remember that Archie (or was it Artie?) eventually got married, and I think he had a daughter named Sharon. If I am correct, that would make the Krupas on Tacoma Sharon’s grandparents.

7K: The yo-yo contests were in the ‘50s. They would award badges based on the difficulty of the tricks you were able to perform. There were 3 or 4 levels. I never got past the second. I wouldn’t call myself a guitar guy. It was more of a college fad. I learned enough to participate in group sing-alongs and the like, but never became an expert. After I graduated and had to work for a living, the guitar spent most of it’s time in storage. When I got the guitar my parents were living in St. Clair Shores and I was home from college for Christmas break. They gave me some Christmas money to replace my cheap Kay. I remembered Grinnell’s from when we used to live in Detroit, so that’s where I went. In the ‘50s there used to be a butcher shop just around the corner from Outer Drive and Hayes. We used to buy horsemeat there to feed to the dog. I don’t know who else bought their horsemeat.

Jcole: I started in St. Clair Shores but transferred to Columbus in the 2nd grade. I was there from grades 2 – 8 and graduated in January, 1955. (Same class as GoBlue, but without all his ‘social skills’.) Went to Denby for 2 ½ years until we moved to California in July, 1957. Not many mothers worked outside the home in those days, so in most cases the milk did not stay in the box that long. My mother was one of the few who did work, and it was my job to put the milk in the refrigerator when I got home from school. Actually the milk boxes weren’t as hot as you might think. In the small enclosed area the cold bottles would cool the air in the box, which in turn helped to increase the time it took for the milk to heat up. And even if it did get a little warm, so long as it wasn’t spoiled we just put it in the refrigerator to cool it off again. While we didn’t live in filth, we were not as super freaked out about sanitation as people are today. So we probably developed a higher resistance to the common germs and bacteria.

Who remembers the clothes chute in the colonials? And who hasn’t plugged it up at least once by shoving too many clothes down it too fast? Don’t ask me how you got it unplugged. That was always the parents’ job.