Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through April 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weren't some of the milk chutes lined with copper like an ice box? Did they ever deliver ice to the chute? And when did they stop delivering ice? This is an ice post if I must say so myself.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Re your April 8th post. We played something similar to curb ball except we used the front steps on the house instead of the curb. If you hit the edge of a step just right you could sometimes get the ball all the way across the street on the fly. Anything that went back and hit the house was a foul ball. Sometimes it would smash hard into the front door, and the parents would come out and chase us off.

Anyone remember when the Flamingo Theater (on 7 Mile between Chalmers & Gratiot) was converted into a roller rink? I still have my wooden wheel skates in the basement gathering stink. I seem to remember a bowling alley around there too. Was it near the Flamingo? Or was the Flamingo eventually converted into a bowling alley? Or am I functioning in an alternate universe (again)?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: I don't know if the milk boxes were lined or not, but it would make sense. I don't remember them delivering ice into the chute, but my grandmother used to have an ice box. Had to be refilled every day. There was an ice house at 9 Mile & Mack behind Roy O'Brien's. They would make ice in the summer, but in the winter they would cut the ice out of Lake St. Clair to stock the ice house.

7andkelly

Post Number: 178
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Flamingo Hall on 7 W of Hayes, east of Chalmers. Went to a 50th anniversary there when I was 5, and a wedding there when I was 10, which justs happens to have been the legal drinking age for Polish weddings at that time. Nosdrovia!

Fantasy Lanes was in that area too. Previous posts here and/or on the St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia thread allude to their superior pizza quality. I think I remember it when they still had kids resetting the pins.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 246
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom bowled at Fantasy for many years, and, yes, they had great pizza. It was an occasional treat for us to go there and bowl a line and get a pizza. Usually if Mom were going to a tourny and needed practice.
7andK, under the age of 10, the drink of choice at Polish weddings was orange pop, wasn't it?

Jcole

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD, do you remember anyone named Lanuzza at Denby when you were there?

7andkelly

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townclub orange or cream soda.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: Sorry I don't remember Lanuzza, but it was a big school.

Jcole

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who remembers Friday night Egg Fu Yong at the Silver Dragon on Kelly Rd? It was one of our 'sacrifices' of not eating meat on Fridays in the Catholic church. I loved that restaurant. Best eggrolls in the world.
I think it was next to the big hardware on Kelly, (Bidigare's) where, incidently, I used to go and look in their toy department for Christmas and birthday gifts.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Fantasy, but it seems like there used to be an alley closer to Gratiot. Much lower class then Fantasy. It may even have been in a basement. On the outside it seemed like more of a bar atmosphere than Fantasy , but I never went in.

(Sometimes imaginary worlds provide the best memories.)

Jcole

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD, I know what you mean about imaginary worlds. I swear I remember stuff that noone else in my family does. I attribute it to their old age and my superior memory. Try it, it works.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a lot of my friends who used to work at the Silver Dragon. After the stories they told me about how the food was handled there that was it for me. I actually liked it before that though.

Jcole

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've worked at a lot of restaurants in my time, and if I let that bother me, I'd never eat out again. I even worked at a Chinese place called 'Mammas'. Believe me, I'll keep it to myself.

Zitro

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you. If I remember right there used to be a doctor's office or something right next to Silver Dragon to the north. They had those block windows, which drove me nuts because you could almost but not quite see through them

Jcole

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember those windows. I think they were leaded glass.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My doctor was on 7 Mile a little west of the Fantasy. (No, I’m not fantasizing this time.) His name was Dr. Green. So I don’t know about the windows on the doctor’s office by the Silver Dragon, but I’m wondering if they were glass block. A lot of doctors’ offices used them, and they are still used on a lot of basements.

Zitro

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: You're probably right. It seemed like only doctor's office's had them at the time (maybe not)I always thought if you don't want people to look in why not put up brick?

Jcole

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had them in our basement in those little windows and ground level. They let light in, but no one could see in with any clarity.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Fantasy was built I remember it was the first bowling alley I had ever seen with automatic pin setters. All the previous ones had used pin boys. We would try to time it so we could throw our balls when the automatic pin setters were still down and hope the had risen by the time the ball got there.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 371
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Often wonder why more homes don't have laundry chutes as they did back in the day. Of course now 1st floor laundry rooms are still popular. What a convenient way to at least delivery your clothes to be washed..forget the hamper. I'm for bringing back the laundry chute.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: You're right about the 1st floor laundry rooms. Some houses even have them on the 2nd floor. So I suspect the demand just isn’t there anymore.

Zitro

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we built our home 10 years ago in Iowa I asked about a laundry chute. It was against code because of the draft it would create in case of fire. I would imagine that is reason in most states.

Zitro

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of you who may have graduated around 74' may find this web site interesting.

http://www.denby74.com/guestbo ok.php

Jcole

Post Number: 289
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Laura Bielac from St. Jude?

Bill_rush
Username: Bill_rush

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldedetroiter- My Dad was the projectionist at the Flamingo 1933-1939. I think the bowling alley was on the second floor at Gratiot and 7 Mile.

7andkelly

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which corner? And you're saying the bowling alley was in the same building?

And did you all live in the area?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BR: Thank you. See everybody! I'm not crazy after all!

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fantasy Lanes was located at 7 Mile & Queen. The address was 15000 E. 7 Mile Rd.

I have heard of a place back from the 20's, 30's and maybe through the war years called Palace-Schoenherr Recreation on 7 Mile. The address was 14216 E. 7 Mile Rd. With that address it should place it between Gratiot and Chalmers.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks zitro i got to see my mom's yearbook pic, which will be adorning her mothers day gift!

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who in this illustrious crowd is old enough to remember the 8 Mile area before Eastland was built? In the winter the BSA Klondike was staged in the fields where Eastland Mall stands now. In the summer troop 706 would have cook-outs in the fields. Sometimes we would hike over from the church (Parkgrove and Morang). When I think of it now, a two mile hike isn’t that bad. I still take casual walks longer than that. But carrying a backpack full of food and cooking gear made it seem more like 10 miles. Then they built Eastland. It wasn’t enclosed at first, and you would freeze your butt off going between stores in the winter.

Notre Dame and Regina weren’t there either. A couple summers a travelling circus came to town and set up where they were built later.