Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Michigan High School Basketball Drought - Cause? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that the high school basketball season is long over, but I was looking at Parade Magazine's High School Basketball All-American list a while back, and I wondered: Where are the players from Detroit? For that matter, where are the players from the state of Michigan? The only one I saw on the last list was someone from Saginaw on the fourth team. Where are the Spencer Haywoods, the Magic Johnsons, the Chris Webbers (yeah, yeah, I know, but I have to include him)? Is it just the economy being bad for so long that schools are strapped for good coaches? Is it because so many people have left (due to the economy)? As you can see, I think the economy is the main cause of this.

This has created a domino effect. Writers on this forum wonder why U of M basketball has been in a nearly 20 year long rut -- and no, you can't blame it all on Chris Webber et al. Heck, even Michigan State's team could probably benefit from some homegrown talent. It's easier to convince someone from Detroit to play for U of M than it is someone from Georgia or California.

I know we're thinking Pistons right now, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

BTW, does anyone know of a link to either a full list of past Parade and/or McDonald's basketball All-Americans? Thanks.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanderinglady- I think you're right. As far as Detroit is concerned I think PSL basketball is as bad as I ever seen it. The level of play is significantly down even from 10-15 years ago. I believe it all stems from the economy and people moving out of the city or going to the burbs. Also kids are just video game crazy nowdays. Plus its too dangerous to hang out at the playgrounds where kids can really refine their game.

Just look at the guys coming out of Detroit now in the NBA . Many of them are just hanging on in the league or have minor roles on their teams. Back in the 70's 80's and early 90's guys were stars in the league or close to it.

As far as the state is concerned I use to say you could go 20 miles on either side of I-75 from Detroit to Saginaw. There was so much talent you could stock a bunch of Div 1 programs. But Flint is down also and I feel its about the economy.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Former Southwestern coach Perry Watson said that when he was coaching there were 2,000 students. Today SW has around 600. He mentioned this on the radio saying that's it's in part a numbers game that's accounting for less talent.

UM simply doesn't care about basketball. Look at all the money they're spending on the football stadium and they can't even come up with a small fraction of that to build a practice facility for basketball. As long as the basketball team is clean I think the powers that be at UM are more than happy to settle for a basketball team that finishes in the middle of the pack in the standings and occasionally makes the tournament.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.