Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through April 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's before my time. I guess your moniker is appropriate.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the traveling circus stayed on.

Zitro

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly remember Eastland before it was enclosed. Running in between the rain drops and freezing in the winter was sure a great memory. The one thing that was cool though was when they used to helicopter Santa in.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD, you must have some pictures!

7andkelly

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They used to have these little display buildings with moving reindeer, and elves working on toys and stuff.

7andkelly

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And that was the one and only "real" Santa. I think he's a Lakeside now.

Zitro

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I read somewhere recently that they are going to move the Lion and Mouse(which version I don't know, it was stolen quite a few times) to the Detroit Historical Museum.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 374
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and santa and his reindeer would be perched on top of the bus terminal on the south side (the Kresge side) of the mall AFTER THANKSGIVING NOT IN OCTOBER. There may be an archived Eastland thread archived in Discuss Detroit with plenty of interesting details. Also, virtual city wsu has plenty of pictures of Eastland during its construction and early days of operation (circa 56-57)

Jcole

Post Number: 306
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Eastland before enclosure, also. It was a favorite hang out after school at Regina. We used to head directly to the make-up counters at Hudson and then either go to Sander's for hot fudge sundaes or to Kresge for lunch counter fries.
All of this, of course, AFTER we rolled our skirts.

Zitro

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a store that opened in the early 70's called Zodeens. I remember Bill Freehan was at the Grand Opening.

Jcole

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Zodeen's a kind of discount store, maybe like TJ Maxx is now?

Zitro

Post Number: 170
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, just like TJ Maxx.

Jcole

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/117606.html?1205354 526
Here's a link to the Hall of Fame thread on Eastland's 50th anniversary.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K: Sorry, no pictures. It’s ironic that for someone who thought he wanted to be a photographer in high school I have about zero pictures of the old days.

Zitro: There was an article about the mouse in Neil Rubin’s column in the News. They originally made six mice and they kept getting stolen. Recently a guy who had been ‘babysitting’ one of them for decades finally gave into his conscience and returned it. The article is still on the Internet. Check it out soon. It was last July so no telling how long they will keep it online.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070706/O PINION03/707060395 He did a follow-up article a few weeks later, but I can’t find that one.

Jcole

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lion and the mouse

Here is the Lion and mouse statue from Kathleen in the Eastland Memories thread.

Zitro

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Thanks I remember this article. I'm trying to find the one I read recently about it getting moved to the museum.

Zitro

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a related article about the sculpture. He also did the Spirit of Detroit and others.

http://info.detnews.com/redesi gn/history/story/historytempla te.cfm?id=159

Zitro

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was by Kathleen in the same thread.

The original Mouse has surfaced, under a promise of anonymity, and given to the Detroit Historical Museum earlier this summer. After being exhibited there, it will be given to the Marshall Fredericks Sculpture Museum at Saginaw Valley State University.

From the Detroit News:
Prodigal mouse returns: Pilfered icon back at mall after 50-year trip
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070706/OPINI ON03/707060395/1038/LIFESTYLE0 1

Here's a photo I took of the mouse on display at the Historical Museum in September:

Zitro

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just noticed it was the mouse that got moved not the lion. duh.

Jcole

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the lion might be a bit heavy.

Jcole

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of the lion moving, does anyone remember when some pranksters downtown took a giant foot and dipped it in green paint and 'walked' the Spirit of Detroit across Woodward to the female statue in front of the MichCon building?

Zitro

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, those foot prints were there for years. That was pretty funny. I always thought is was blamed on some Wayne State students.

Jcole

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the cool Detroit pranks, unlike flipping police cars after World Series wins.

Zitro

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, that doesn't take too much imagination. Just a lot of alcohol.

Jcole

Post Number: 315
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you remeber when they won in 68, and Sr Paul Therese was SOOOO happy? Didn't they give us the next day off to celebrate?

Zitro

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh boy do I remember. She was an ardent fan. My father took me down to Metro Airport that night to greet the team on their way home. We were allowed on the tarmac (can you believe it?) we chased down every plane that landed. I got separated from my dad and was basically lost. He in the meantime had found out they were diverted to Willow Run because of the crowd. By the time he found me (I was scared to death) it was too late, the Tigers had already landed and left.

(Message edited by zitro on April 24, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of the Tigers of 68' I know about 250,000 people have claimed to be at this game but I actually was. Mickey Mantles last game at Tiger Stadium and the infamous McClain "grooved pitch" Norm Cash hit 2 HR to left field that day. I also got to meet Stomin' Norman and Eddie Matthews at the Lindell AC after the game.
Not that this memory has stuck with or anything.
http://baseball-almanac.com/bo x-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=19 6809190DET

Jcole

Post Number: 316
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me guess, you're wearing your Tiger cap right now, aren't you?

7andkelly

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G minus 9 minutes and counting

Zitro

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only on casual Fridays but my cube is full of Tigs stuff and I'm getting ready to go to lunch and listen to game in my car on XM. It starts in about 8 minutes. I hope they finish this series with a sweep.