Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tiger Talk 2008 » Tiger Talk 2008 Archives » Archive through April 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5963
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After tonight, the Tigers will be out of last place (now tied for 13th) for the first time this season. It's even possible that they may rise to 12th place--and 9th place for the wild card.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 921
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

got a problem with it?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A solid win.

Illmatic774
Username: Illmatic774

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we are now 21 games in.

the KC Royals? 9-11? You don't say! Verlander not pitching like a little leaguer anymore? Get out of here.

Nice to see order being restored. Must keep pushing. Before too long we'll need to reach .500, as the Central besides the White Sox is hovering below .500. Ripe for the picking.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7649
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're only FOUR games out of first place. What's the panic here people?? Everyone knows as poorly as we've played, we CAN also do a lot better as well. This is essentially the team that got us to the World Series a few years back PLUS some major improvements.

Also remember that people picked us or Cleveland (with their potent line-up) and they're only a half game ahead of us. Is everyone's panic due to the fact they heard all the hype before the first pitch was ever thrown? No one's anointed us champions yet (we'll have to earn it) but why does it seem there are so many nay-sayers here this early in the season?

I'm not asking for people to put on rose colored glasses and play Pollyanna, but be realistic as well.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guillen is moving to 3rd base and Cabrera to 1st. Didn't see that one coming. The move does make sense and obviously it didn't take the Tigers long to see Cabrera's weakness at 3rd. Hopefully Guillen doesn't pull a hamstring charging a bunt. I worry more about keeping him healthy than any other Tiger. He'll have to gun the ball over from 3rd every time so hopefully he won't make those casual sidearm flips he used to try from shortstop.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 646
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure about Guillen moving to 3rd. That position could be hard on his knees.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just saw in the Freep that Grandy will be in the lineup 2nite. Thank you! Too bad Clete had to go down, but he should be back with the next injury.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7651
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to think Leyland was professional enough to ask Guillen his thoughts on this PRIOR to the shift. I think he trusts him and respects him enough to ask. I think Carlos would also be honest with himself as well. I'm sure he wouldn't endanger himself by playing third and I'm also sure that Carlos also knows he's not going to be the most mobile or agile of third basemen as well. Ideally it's still be Brandon Inge with his great glove & range but this is a situation where the batting averages come into play as well and we need Guillen in the line-up somewhere.

When it's all said and done, it could just be an experiment to see how things shake down. Personally I love the fact of having Cabrera at first and can see him playing that in the long term.

7andkelly

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cruceda will be here soon. Tata is off DL and is assigned to Lakeland. Zumaya is starting to throw. Help is on the way!

Zitro

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the idea of Cabrera playing first too, but I question whether Guillen's wheels can handle the strain at third. If Sheffield doesn't come around soon, I'd just as soon see Guillen go to DH and move Inge back to third as long as he can continue to make contact. It seems like he's cut down on his strikeouts especially those silly check swing ones he had last year.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 385
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. Cabrera's long term position is first. I keep thinking Sheffield will be gone next year and Guillen could DH but we signed Shef for 3 years.

7andkelly

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A strong, fat, homerun hitting first baseman. Go figure.

J u s t kidding!

Zitro

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't care how much more money they owe Sheffield at this point. If his shoulder isn't there then he's done. His field of play consists of the left field foul line and maybe another 25 feet in fair territory. He has to cheat way too much to get around a fastball because of that wing. He's coming up in too many critical situations and failing. You can count on him to pop up on a low and away hook when there are runners in scoring position. he refuses to go the opposite way even when the situation dictates it. Just plain stubborness. The rest of the team does it, why cant he?

7andkelly

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still good for some walks, but not much else. DL him. That would move Guillen to DH, and Inge to third. Shores up the left side, and we're not losing Shef's bat because it's not there now anyway.

Zitro

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I told Leyland last night on our nightly conference call, we'll see if he listens.

7andkelly

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been calling the dugout directly. That call he got last night, right after Miner put guys on first and third, that was me!

Zitro

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's pretty good! You must have told him to act mad because he never even gave him the complimentary pat on the ass.

7andkelly

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's only because he read your comment about the hat adjustment.

Zitro

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO

Zitro

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the Tigs have gone past the Mendoza Line. See ya. How much longer will Kenny last?

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 697
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what was that Zitro? Thats why we don't open our mouths early.

5-run second...tie ball game, chased Mendoza before the inning was over.

Zitro

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You obviously misunderstood my meaning. It was meant as a plus for the Tigs not a slam. I'll try to keep it simpler for you in the future.

Zitro

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JJ takes one deep. YES!

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 698
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please do, the Mendoza line is a bad thing in baseball as you should very well know is named for Mario Mendoza and refers to a batters average dipping below .200, I apologize for misinterpreting your post.

By the way, nice stroke Jauque!

Zitro

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Problem. Just trying to be clever, it apparently didn't transfer well. I'm not a Tiger basher only the the guys that are dogs that shouldn't be playing. eg. Grilli, Minor, & Sheffield if he's not going to be healthy.

Zitro

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frustrating, they haven't really hit the ball that hard. A lot of dinks and dunks. Let's see if Rapada can keep it close

Zitro

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Two for the price of one"

7andkelly

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FINALLY! Relief. Leland seems to be thinking slower than me today.

Zitro

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a relief to see Grandy back in the lineup. I doubt he'll be sliding head first for a while. I was writing this before Rod mentioned it. Really