Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through April 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you imagine if the place was still there?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole - can you please forward that to me at my home e-mail address? Where was Perini's? It sounds familiar, but I can't place where it was located. Thanks!

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the telephone numbers still have the letter pre-fixes. LA, DR, VE

Jcole

Post Number: 275
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was over on Houston-Whittier. I don't know if I ever ate there, I just liked the add.

Jcole

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Z, was little Stevie Badowski in that picture? Or Rick Laney?

Jcole

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still remember my phone number almost better than I remember my current one.
LA7-5380

Zitro

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, there won't be anyone else from our class. There was a 4th grade requirement to join. I was the only 3rd grader.

Jcole

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, aren't WE special!!

Zitro

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I had a deep voice when I was young, I couldn't sing worth a crap right away though that came with a lot of hard work and practice.

Jcole

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe that's why I followed you.

Zitro

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoping for a future rock star?

Jcole

Post Number: 280
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could have been. Sawick had a deep voice too. Must be a pattern

Zitro

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VE9-3941 & VE9-0022 We had to have a second line because of my dads 2nd job and the fact my mother never got off the other line.

Jcole

Post Number: 282
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VE was Venice wasn't it? LA was Lakeview.

Zitro

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one for you all. There was a family that lived down the street from me. The Godmire's. The oldest(Buddy) was born with polio sold the Sunday Freep out in front of church for years. Anyone remember him? He drove stock cars in Mt.Clemens. He was a wizard with a toolbox

Jcole

Post Number: 283
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Off topic, but I was driving up Gratiot around 12 mile the other day, and saw a purple building called the Plum Pit. Wasn't that the name of the Head shop on Kelly about a block or two south of Regina/Notre Dame?
Also, did any of you go out to the (I don't really know what to call it) shopping center across from Macomb Mall that was geared toward teens back in the 70's? It had black light shops, head shops, T-shirt shops and submarine sandwich places. I can't remember the name of the place, but it was a lot of fun.

Jcole

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did the Godmire's live?

Zitro

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was the Plum Pit. It might take a while to ome up with the head shop on Gratiot. I spent way too much time in those places. Maybe that's why I can't remember.

Zitro

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liberal between Cordell and Kelly

Jcole

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, yes, head shops were the best. I bought a cross made out of pipe-fittings at the one on Kelly, which, oddly enough, unscrewed at strategic places and had little screens in the 'joints'. I forgetfully left it on the stairs to my room once, and my brother picked it up and started messing with it at the breakfast table. He suddenly had it in pieces, and my dad realized that it was a hash pipe.Fortunately, the screens were virgin. I did some real tap dancing to get out of that one. I wore that thing as a necklace for a loooong time.

Jcole

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the name Godmire, but not Buddy. Were there other kids?

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Plum Pit has been at Gratiot and 10 Mile forever - at least 20 years - possibly since the 60's.

Zitro

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom & Jim. Buddy (I can't remember his real name)I think was my brother's age so he would have graduated SJ 63'

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the guy selling papers out of the back of a station wagon in front of the church. Jimmy sounds more like the name I would remember being attached to that person. Maybe Buddy's brother took over the franchise.

DR was short for Drexel.

We had a "party line" for a while, but it was overrated.

Did anyone ever dial 7117 or 7116 on their home phone. You would hang up and your own phone would ring. There was a prank that never got old. It was funny every time.

Another good one was touching a couple of wires in the rafters in the basement to make the doorbell ring. First the front door, and then the back door.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 387
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've recently gotten to know (the former) Father Grady, and he's one of the finest people I've ever met. So glad you all remember him fondly. He's got a heck of a great family, too. Long live the Gradys!

—A St. Matt's kid lurkin' in St. Jude territory

7andkelly

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HN, welcome to St. Jude's. I went to your church once to get my 9 First Fridays. Likely I was sick in the AM and missed the St. Jude Mass, so my Dad took me over in the evening to St. Matthew. Nice church!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 370
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harpernottingham: Fr. Grady was one of the more progressive thinking priests during the time he spent at St Jude (circa early to mid 60s). I'll never forget people getting up and leaving church during his sermons dealing with civil rights. His subject on race relations were a bit too radical for some at that time. I remember a few people mumbling under their breath "I don't have to listen to this anymore" and just stormed out of church (Remember this is during the civil rights movement and right during Vatican II). The times were a changing perhaps too radically for some. He was a very young priest at St. Jude. In fact St. Jude may have been his first assignment after his ordination. I remember interviewing parish priests for a religion project during my freshman year at NDHS on subjects like civil rights, the Warren Commission, the vietnam war, planned parenthood etc.(pretty heady stuff for a freshman). Fr. Grady's responses were so different than the traditional dogma that I learned from other priests or the previous 8 years at SJS. He had a boyish charm and a youthful zeal...very popular amongst the grade school kids as well as the ladies in the altar society. I last saw Tom Grady in 1991 at a SJ golden anniversary event in the school....no longer a priest, salt and pepper hair, and still had that Irish charm.

As an altar boy it was a refreshing break to serve at a funeral mass and the burial rite usually at Mt. Olivet Cemetery (of course, an automatic exuse not to be in morning classes during the week). The altar boys would ride with the priest to the cemetery. Fr. Grady had a very adventurous style of driving around those curved roads and through the tunnel under Outer Drive. I look back know and wonder was he just being amusing for us kids or did he want to be the next Mario Andretti. lol HN, the next time you see Tom Grady ask about his cemetery driving habits at Mt. Olivet.

P.S. Fr. DeHarnis had the same lead foot. lol

(Message edited by kellyroad on April 23, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to try and get him for confession. He had a bigger line, but he was cool, and gave a very light penance.

I was too young to have paid any attention to any of his sermons, especially about such complicated social and political issues, but I would have been shocked if I had noticed anyone walking out of a Mass.

HN/KR, thanks for bringing the former Fr. Grady back into our memory. Like many, I was disappointed to hear he left the priesthood to get married. In retrospect, it is a bit of a relief to know he left for that reason. He apparently responded to what he thought was a call to the Priesthood, expended a great deal of time, effort and commitment to making it happen, and then later discovered another call. He must have been torn.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 372
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: I do remember very well the newspaper boy in front of the curch. He had a good business on Sunday mornings selling the freep out of the back of his station wagon. I can see him now dishing out the papers as fast as he could in the mad rush after mass and had that coin changer hanging in front of him. I'm thinking the sunday paper might have been a quarter at that time. Our family, as well as most families on our block had the Detroit News delivered so we never did buy a Free Press from him, but I always thought he was quite the entrepreneur and really hustled those papers. He was there in front of St. Jude for many years.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole -I have been trying to remember the name of the place across from Macomb Mall - just surveyed co-workers and though just about every Eastsider remembers the place, no one is sure of the name. One thing we all agree on, is that Denny McLain had a "booth" or store in that complex. We're coming up with "Chicago Roadhouse" or Roadhouse...."