Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through April 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K: Did you see the Rangers sent down Littleton after last nights game?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a straight jacket?

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In '84 when the tigers started with a 26-4 record, I was 'fortunate' enough to be at one of the 4. They almost pulled it out in the bottom of the ninth, but John Grubb who had been a great clutch hitter struck out with men on base.

Zitro

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I loved that 84' team, but they were already in that new era and they didn't stay together for long (collusion). Too bad for that game. The 68' team was such good fit for the city and with all the woes we were going through after the riots. I didn't see my dad for a week in 67' the firemen were on full alert. They brought such a rush of joy that probably has never been duplicated to any group of people. It still lives strong today in the hearts and minds of us who were around to experience it.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff, I remember that week in '67 really well. I didn't see dad either, and every time a cop car came down the block, every police wife was out on the porch, terrified they were coming to break 'the news'. Thank God it never came for any of us. The worst casualty in our neighborhood was Officer Jack Dugan getting shoved through a plate glass window after punching a looter in the mouth. He ended up on his stomach on the couch with stitches in his butt, and a really bad infection in his hand.

Zitro

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outside of worrying about my dad it worked out fairly well for me. I was staying with cousins in Redford Twp. for the night when the riots broke out. My dad would usually pick me up after his next shift. I was "stuck" there all week. They had a built in swimming pool and a bowling alley 5 houses down. I was really bummed.

Jcole

Post Number: 322
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, you were lucky. we couldn't leave the block, and after 6pm, we were confined to the porch.
Do you remember Joey and Kathleen Wenzel? Right after the riot ended, they decided they wanted to see what downtown looked like, so they hopped a bus on Gratiot, and didn't bother to tell their parents. OMG, the man-hunt was on. Did they ever get in trouble when they came rolling in several hours later.

Zitro

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never heard that. I don't picture Joe being a risk taker like that. That sounds like something my friends and I would do. I wouldn't have been able to sit for a week. Of course that was one of the great things about being a fireman's kid. You always had to wait for your punishment. You'd hear in on the phone what was going to happen to you the next day and the anticipation alone was enough to make you soil yourself.

Zitro

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Bondo's only going to last 5 (maybe) again. Gotta run to a meeting, someone keep the embers burning on the Tigs for me while I'm gone.

Thanks,

Jcole

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always got the 'Wait til your father gets home', but with my dad, all I ever got was yelled at. Mom was the hitter. She finally stopped with the threats, and just went to the hand. I missed the threats.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: You'd love my autographed ball collection...HOF plus Tiger Teams...have 28 of the team balls including all four of the WS teams...and over a hundred of the HOF single signature balls.

Jcole: I used to get that "wait until your dad gets home" stuff too...he only yelled though...and not much of that. I remember the time my mother started to slap my face when I was maybe 14...I had mouthed her...I caught her wrist in mid-air and stopped her...she about went nuts. Lots of fun being a cop's kid...I thought his gun was empty one time and fired a round into the wall. Another time when I was maybe five I locked myself to the dining room table with a spare pair of handcuffs while he was at work...she had to call the station to have him come home to get me loose.

Jcole

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad used to hand me his service revolver when he came home and tell me to put it on his dresser. I carried that thing like it was a gun about to go off. We had stacks of ammo up in the linen closet that were behind the sheets. When he died, we found coffee cans full of switch blades, gravity knives and brass knuckles, not to mention several bags of pot that he had confiscated from kids around town here. Unfortunately, my brother flushed it all.

Zitro

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: Sounds like you have a great collection. Mine is fairly significant but it sounds like it doesn't rival yours. I still get quite a few sigs each year at the minor leagues. We have the Triple A of the Chicago Cubs in Des Moines and I get to quite a few games there and get them before they become to big for their britches.

Zitro

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Too bad about the dope it was probably some good shit.

Jcole

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt. The kids around here always had good shit.

Zitro

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! I leave for a little and their hitting homers all over the place. I'll betcha ole' Ron Washington already has the jet warming up. Probably can't wait to get out of the D.

Zitro

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And if they didn't you could always find it at Balduck

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for reminding me to walk my dog when I get home.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I lived in a trailer park (oops Mobile Home Park) in Mt. Clemens during the riots. I worked at OU and had no problems getting to work, but my fellow workers from Detroit were locked in their homes. I wanted a six pack after work and went up to Lake Orion thinking surely they wouldn’t restrict sales that far away from Detroit. But they did. Some in the trailer park (oops Mobile Home Park) were in a panic thinking the blacks were going to come out of Mt. Clemens and go through the park. But nothing much happened except one apartment building by the Clinton River got torched. After work we would park on the road by Selfridge and watch the planes bringing in the troops for Detroit. The funny thing is there were black families and white families standing side by side on the road watching the planes and getting along fine.

Jcole

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, this was in Almont. There was more dope per capita here than in any city in Michigan in 74-75. We had a guy who stood on the four corners wearing a feather in his hat and holding a cane every day after school who always had the good stuff. If he wasn't out, the guy who ran the head shop on main (with hand carved chess sets, I might add) was good. I never had to buy, that's what boyfriends were for.
Dad rarely arrested a kid on his first bust. He would confiscate instead. Second offense he took them home to Mom and Dad, third offense was Lapeer Count jail.

Zitro

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sure was never hard to find in our little Northeast corner of the world

Zitro

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I heard anyway.

Jcole

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad worked with the 81st airborn when Catholic Central was their base of operations. Dad was, shall we say rotund, and he had to lay on the floor of the upper level while the lights were shot out over his head. It was interesting, to say the least. i think that's when my paranoia started.

Goblue

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was living in Harper Woods in '67...it was weird watching the smoke coming up from downtown...my grandparents and her folks lived near Chalmers and Mack...they wouldn't leave their homes for fear of looters. We walked down to I-94 to watch the 81st coming down the road with armored personnel carriers, etc. It was all weird.

Jcole

Post Number: 329
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was, being a Detroit cops kid, just inside the Detroit limits, as close to Harper Woods as we could be without Dad getting fired. I remember, and I was only 11 at the time, the rumors flying that 'they' were coming up Gratiot, Kelly, etc, to rob the stores in our neighborhood, and burn houses, etc. I never saw any of the violence except second hand.

Jcole

Post Number: 330
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It sure was never hard to find in our little Northeast corner of the world"
That's probably because most of the cops kids were dealing.

Goblue

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cops kids steal and deal...preachers kids screw...teachers kids fail...sometimes all three do all three.

Jcole

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the barber's kid always need a haircut.

Zitro

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that I think about it, I'd have to say most of these were true

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody remember selling Christmas cards door to door in the early ‘50s? What was the name of that company? They would send you a catalog in November, and you would try to convince all the families in the neighborhood to order their personalized cards. The cards would arrive a month later giving the customers about 3 weeks to get them mailed. One year they sent me the previous year’s catalog by mistake, and when the cards arrived nobody got what they ordered. So I had to take them all back, get the correct catalog, and persuade all the customers to choose a different card and reorder. It was tight but the company admitted their mistake and put a rush on the reorders. The customers finally got their cards about a week before Christmas.