Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Eastwood memories - Archives » Archive through April 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: I remember the cards, but never sold them myself. I do remember standing in front of the NBD bank on Kelly trying to sell my Wish Egan tickets. I would do it for about three days and sell about 5 tickets and my parents would end up buying the rest. That made up my mind I would never be good in sales, because I couldn't handle the rejection. I promised myself I would never sell or make my kids try to sell any of their stuff too. We always figured out what the minimum we needed to buy so our kids weren't chastised and just bit the bullet and bought what we needed. I always felt it would be easier to keep my friends that way too.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: I was never much good at sales either, but adults in those days were more generous to a little kid trying to make a buck. I sold Kirbys for a few months in between colleges. My presentation skills were good, but I wasn't a good closer. I didn't have the heart to pressure people who obviously couldn't afford such an expensive device into buying one.

Zitro

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me guess, you're wearing your Tiger cap right now, aren't you?

JC: I just want to officially announce since 2day is Casual Friday, any and all Tiger regalia is appropriate for wear. Including fuzzy slippers. Their on a streak right now and we all know this all hinges on us doing our part. Including the burning of incense during the pre-game warmup. If you have a mantra to hum, it won't hurt either.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Tiger gear I remember when all the guys at Columbus were wearing Tiger jackets. I wanted one so badly, but my parents didn't think I needed another jacket. It took a year of pleading and bugging them before they got me one.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I'll dig my lucky socks and wear 'em til we lose. So, anyone in the Almont area, if you smell an awful stench, you know that the Tigs are still winnning.

Zitro

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I'm talking about! I'm even going to dig out my 67' paper mache Al Kaline Bobblehead. You can never be too careful about these things ya know.

Zitro

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OD: Speaking of jackets the cool thing when we were at SJ was buying those blue windbreakers from Vetere Hardware and getting your last name on the back. If you had those you were officially COOL.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to go to the Romeo Peach Festival every year but had to stop when the odor from the north became unbearable. :-)

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: Some on this forum might be accessing the Internet from Jackson if their last names were known. :-)

Jcole

Post Number: 334
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry OD, but as Z says, you just can't be too careful about this stuff.

Jcole

Post Number: 335
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember those windbreakers. They were navy blue, and you tried to get gold letters if possible, white in a pinch.
I was fortunate. I had a short last name, so I had a couple jackets.
You know, now they tell you not to put your kids names on jackets, backpacks, etc, so pervs won't be able to call them by name and gain their trust.
It truly sucks to be a kid today. We were lucky.

Zitro

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iowa is a fer distance from Jackson.

Zitro

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually don't talk like that.

Jcole

Post Number: 336
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shucks, Z, iffen you don't, I knows folk what does.

Zitro

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mees toos

Zitro

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'd just like to point out that no one else in my gene pool runs like a girl" - Dr. Evil

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of the beagle when he learned he was adopted... so happy he didn't come from his master's gene pool.

Jcole

Post Number: 341
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I swear to God when I first moved here, I thought I lived somewhere near OZ. I heard people talking about going up to 'Emald City' all the time, and couldn't figure it out. I finally realized it was their 'quaint' way of saying Imlay City. Allenton was Allingtown.
No joke.
We have roads named Tubspring, Hollow Corners, and an intersection at Rock Valley and Blood Roads.
It was like moving back in time.

Zitro

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Street names aren't too bad here as far as corny (excuse the pun). My problem is that there are a lot of small towns with maybe only 20 streets or so and they have them lettered or numbered ZZZZZZZZ. Use some imagination for crying out loud.

Jcole

Post Number: 342
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't you just picture some new settler about 150 years ago walking down the dirt road saying'Well, this here is the 1st street, and here will be the 2nd one."
I've read a fair amount of history on the west, and it was mostly farmers who picked up from the east and moved out there. That or people who had nothing to stay behind for. So it would make sense that their imaginations might not be their first priority. It was just to get a crop in and a general store built.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once worked with a guy who moved to Ioway fer his retirement. Only person I ever knew who went t here voluntarily.

Zitro

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now you know another

Jcole

Post Number: 345
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been through Iowa a couple times coming and going from here to Denver, and it is a beautiful state. I don't pass through any of the big towns, but the back way is verdant green and rolling. As a matter of fact, I just booked my tickets for July to go again. I'm beginning to build a personal relationship with Ottumwa, and Burlington has a beautiful bridge across the Mississippi. The train always stops to let us take pictures and look down the river.

Zitro

Post Number: 213
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heading home Go Pistonians and JC don't forget your socks

Jcole

Post Number: 347
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm on it.

Zitro

Post Number: 215
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: That area is very beautiful. The stereotype of Iowa is that it's flat but it's anything but.

Jcole

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoy the train ride through the farm country. It's usually about 5 or 6 in the evening when we're headed west, so it's peaceful. The last two years I went at the end of May so everything was very green and new. This year, I booked for July, so I expect I'll see the corn crops in all of their glory. One really neat thing on the train is seeing the really old electic poles with the blue and green glass insulators still intact. some of them must have be installed back in the twenties.

Zitro

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a very popular train ride. This is just 15 miles west of Ames. Railroad enthusiast come from all over to ride it.

http://www.scenic-valleyrr.com /

Jcole

Post Number: 352
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been on a couple of those in Colorado. It's really cool to spend the time taking the slow ride. I've got a ton of pictures not to mention memories from them. The one I haven't ridden yet is the Durango-Silverton RR. I've been up there and seen it pull in, but we didn't have time to take it, so I hope to do it some day.

Zitro

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I hope you have those socks warming up we're down a run going into the seventh