Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through April 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marble

I'm not sure why I was entitled to this. It may have been that choir members were each given one. This is a piece of marble form the old alter after they renovated it and turned the priests around to face the congregation. Thought I'd share this.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a precious keepsake!
Thanks for sharing, Z! I'm still amazed at how much St. Jude means to all of us and how we not only have wonderful memories, but also bits and pieces of our St. Jude past that we've all kept!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 288
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is something really nice to have. You're just a font of SJS relics.
Speaking of, do you all remember that churches had to have a relic of the saint they were named for embedded in the altar stone, or is that just something I dreamed up in my way to fertile imagination?

Zitro

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to remember that but not at SJ. I used to have a few relics, but the chip of bone was always so small it made me wonder it's authenticity.

Jcole

Post Number: 292
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Catholic church had quite a lucrative business in relics from time immemorial, whether they were real or not remains to be seen. They also used to sell indulgences (you paid the priests to buy you into heaven)back in the middle ages and before, a practice that fell by the wayside as the common man became more educated.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this means Z is part of an up to now secret order of marbleites.

I am starting the bidding on the marble chunk with my Jets hat, a PPK pin, and a half case of Uncle Ben's Rice purchased before they started rationing at Costcos. I'll have to settle for my annual trip to the Armada Fair for my taste of fresh albeit Michigan sweet corn.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on April 23, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Iowa sweet corn is not overrated. They can't keep it on the shelves around here when it's in season. It helps to know someone who grows it because just like anything else the costs of it is going through the roof. Thanks to the Ethanol farce.

Jcole

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe by Armada fair time, rice won't be rationed

7andkelly

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They can ration rice till the cows come home. Just keep the sweet corn cobs on the shelves, and in that little booth next to the "Our Lady of the Rose" building and picnic table area at the fair.

Jcole

Post Number: 294
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there's nothing wrong with Michigan sweet corn. It beats the heck out of the crap they sell from Fla.
Yeah, I don't care too much about the rice, either, unless it's in golobke.
Armada fair is one of the nicest ones around. It's clean (for a fair) and there's plenty of shade. I used to take my kids there instead of the Eastern Michigan State Fair in Imlay City. That one is fairly dumpy.

7andkelly

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the IC EMSF comes in, let us know. Michigan sweet corn is great, but IOWA is to corn, what Cuba is to cigars.

7andkelly

Post Number: 208
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But we have better cherries!

Zitro

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being a native Michiganian, I can enjoy both worlds without having to worry about bragging rights,, Nothing like cherries going up tp Traverse City for the Festival. That place has sure changed

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 373
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: Thanks again for the choir pic. Although I wasn't in the choir that picture sure does bring back a lot of memories especially with the altar with the tapestry, drapes, and the magnificent canopy. Do you recall a Jim Kayuk or a Nells Hickman in the choir with you? Nells appears to be standing between you and Fr. Ording, and Jim right behind Paul Avery's right shoulder. I'm not sure if they were in the choir but they look really familiar.

Zitro

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, that's them. Also Nells who I seem to remember lived right across from the school used to hang around with Kurt Louwers who also is in there in the middle.

(Message edited by zitro on April 24, 2008)

Slowosfs
Username: Slowosfs

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I created a Facebook page for St. Jude Parish. You can upload photos and videos and blog on the page's "wall."

You will need to sign up for Facebook to be able to write on the wall, upload photos, etc. You do not need an account to view the page. The link is:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ Detroit-MI/St-Jude-Roman-Catho lic-Parish/13026593213

This is no space in the link between the "o" and "l" in Catholic - this site inserts that to avoid spamming I assume...

Enjoy!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank YOU! This will certainly help us post pictures and have a single spot to send all of our memories - AND - to provide a way to notify everyone of up-coming events.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 375
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since it's Friday today the memory of fish and Knight of Columbus surfaced. LaSalle post on the south side of 7 Mi just west of the Queen...wasn't a member nor anyone in the family but sure did remember fondly those dinners. It seemed St. Jude had many members that frequented that particular post.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad was a member at Cardinal Mercier in Hamtramck, but we also spent a lot of time at the LaSalle post. We had his funeral breakfast there, and they couldn't have been nicer.
Then there was "Fantasy" bowling, on the corner. The wooden lanes were so worn in, that any attempt at a toss, could get you in a worn groove resulting in a strike no matter how long it took the ball to reach the pins! Didn't St. Jude have a bowling league there?

Zitro

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the Usher's Club had a league. I bowled in that house for almost 20 years. Then mysteriously like almost all of the houses in Detroit it burned to the ground. Coincidence?

Jcole

Post Number: 340
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom bowled there as long as I can remember until we moved in 73. I recently came across pics of her and the other 'ladies who bowled' in their snazzy bowling shirts, and some of her pins and trophies.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVED that Bowling Alley!! I worked across the street from it for many years - our company moved from 7 mile to Warren about 15 years ago. It had a great bar, always filled with a lot of fun! and was a good alternative to the quieter "Parakeet" bar next to Revco - across from Franks!

Zitro

Post Number: 205
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original owners name was Walter (I don't remember his last name) the he sold it to the Maige family, then to ??? Damn, I can't remember the next and I believe the last owner. Help. A couple of guys that used to work there for a long time were Tim Littlefield and Frank Denryter. Also Steve Karas from SJ worked there for a little bit.

Zitro

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I don't come up with that last owners name soon, my heads going to implode

Zitro

Post Number: 208
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene something I'm getting closer

Zitro

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene Mack. Ahhh, now I can snoozle

Jcole

Post Number: 343
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now your week is complete and you can enjoy the weekend.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how you guys remember as much as you do! I am usually a font of misc trivia, but you all have me beat!

Zitro

Post Number: 210
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to do this but since the topic is bowling I have to share. This little shit did just recently in 16 years what took me 40 to do.

Alex

Jcole

Post Number: 344
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is awesome, Jeff. You must be proud. Of yourself, too. My best ever was 212, and then I had foot surgery and can't bend up on my left foot.